SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Good we may need one (two Weedy Moments, not game changing, in my turns)

Ok Here it goes.

Pre Turn:
Only England and Russia at war

Switch clown in Berlin to a scientist 3 happy 3 sad Market in 1 then Worker and Settler
Move a sword and a spear out of New Konnensburg to cut off French Sword

Trade Russia our WM for hers she gives 13 gold
Trade England our WM for hers she gives 15 gold
Trade India our WM for his he gives 12 gold
Trade China our WM for his he gives 7 gold (note according to the dork in the upper right hand corner the Chinese army fears our knight...yep all one of them)
Skip Japan no $
Trade France for WM straight up
Hey 47 gold is 47 gold...

Our world looks great (aside from all of this dang jungle) :goodjob:

IBT
French jockey around units
Berlin finishes Market starts worker done in 1
Munich finishes Market starts library done in 10 (we currently have 7 gpt from this town going to science so this should raise that to at least 10, right?)
Stuttgart finishes worker starts on Courthouse done in 40
Leipzig Expands

Turn 1 (470 AD) The first year in the Reign of Baron Von Mistfit :lol:
Workers, working
Our 1 mighty Knight moves south
Archer and Warrior move towards bard camp in SE

France now has Invention with no intentions of selling it (monopoly)
No other trades
Can’t turn down science. 2 until Education (trade bait for Invention?)

IBT
Uh Oh Russians requesting an audience...
She wants a ROP and MA against England...Sure..Not... how about a gift of 1 gold?
Berlin finishes a worker (dang it only takes two to grow Hmm...) starts a settler MM growth in 3 Settler in 3
Bonn finishes Aqueduct starts a Market done in 25
Salzburg finishes a worker (computer wants to start Sun Tzu no thanks) how about a settler cant make MM work right so settle for settler in 6 expand in 5

Turn 2 (480 AD)Workers chopping roading and other as sundry things
Most of my time working on blockading the French (persistent little buggers)
Change Hanover scientist to clown because of coming growth
Turn Down Science to 40% save 38 gold still due in 1
France still has monopoly on Invention. No one else has squat

IBT
Finish Education start on Astronomy science back to 50% due in 11 +8gpt(would have cost 24gold to get it in 10)
Bremen finishes a market starts a settler growth in 7 due in 4
New Leipzig finishes a worker starts another
French Start Leo's
English start Sun Tzu

Turn 3 (490 AD)
Kill a barb horse in the SE
Move around units to stop the French (where are they going?)
France will sell invention for Education, WM and 15 gold now. Ok
Sell Education to/for:
Russia/28g,WM
India/16g,WM
China/11g,WM
England/8g,WM
Japan gets none...I just don't like him and he's broke next turn if he can muster 1 gold
The only reason I did this deal was because I think the idea was to hurry the learning curve across the board to get to the UN. Well this went pretty cheap lets hope they build uni's and don't forget our kindness (we also made 48g)

IBT
Hamburg finishes a knight start another due in 12
New Heidelberg finishes a worker starts a library due in 40

Turn 4 (500 AD)
Finally get down to pop the barb camp in the SE 25g
More dancing with the French
Give in and gift Japan Edu
France hasn't sold Invention to anyone

IBT
Berlin finishes a settler, growth in 2 settler in 4
Heidelberg finishes Market starts worker in 2
Hanover finishes Courthouse starts on Market (at size 8 with 1 clown market in 17 growth in 18) should be able to get rid of clown at that time
Brandenburg finishes a Courthouse starts a Market (watch this one for happiness) (note this for later use) growth in 4

Turn 5 (510 AD)
Teach the French some new dance moves (the Lambada...the forbidden dance)
Move Berlin settler towards Nuremberg where galley is being built

China now has invention
No one has much of anything offer for invention 16 gold from everyone I think

IBT
Here we go again...French want an audience...She wants to trade maps..Sure no prob

Turn 6 (520 AD)
Dangit...Tripped (miss-clicked) while dancing with the French a sword will get thru.
Rush settler in Salzburg for 40g to time growth and completion
Russia now was invention
Dangit Japan now has one gold I should have held out on the trade

IBT
Heidelberg finishes a worker starts a university (This can be vetoed I just wanted to start 1 make sure you change it 1st turn if you want a rax) due in 17
Bremen finishes a settler starts another size 4 growth in 2 settler in 6
Salzburg finish settler start on courthouse in 20

Turn 7 (540 AD)
Yup the one sword got thru...sorry
Move Salzburg settler towards Nuremberg
2nd Knight arrives in a southern town
Bremen settler heads south into jungle
Settler arrives at Nuremberg awaits the galley and other settler

Sell invention to England/23g+WM - India/18+WM - don't trade to Japan 0$ - again

IBT
Leipzig finishes a worker starts a Courthouse done in 40

Turn 8 (540 AD)
I may have contained the loose French Sword
Settler arrives in the north
Settler heads further south into the jungle
Japan has learned Invention (well good for him)
No diplo or trades available (tech parity across the board)

IBT
Yea!!! The French Move south... At least they gave me some excitement this set of turns
Berlin finishes a settler start another? Done in 4 - I don’t know what else to do with this town you guys are going to have to show me the finer points of living in a world without a rax in every town
Nuremberg finishes a galley and starts a courthouse due in 20

Turn 9 (550 AD)
Settler headed for the jungle is where I think he should go but I will leave him for the next person to locate
Berlin settler heads towards W coast galley (new Munich I think) he can get there in 8 the galley wont be done until 11 prolly rush. Watch out for barb galley on that coast
West Coast Galley loaded up with 2 settlers ready to ride to island (in retrospect maybe you guys ment a unit to go with for barbs) oh well you can yell at me later.
Settle New Bremen in the North where we discussed today. Starts on a lib(?)
Move workers around again
No diplo no trades

IBT
The English want to talk again - trade territory maps why sure...
Yea I finish my 2nd knight we now have 3 total - and start on my third in Frankfurt
Munich finishes a Library and starts on a University (so I lied I want to start 2 of em Michigan and Michigan State)

Ya see...I almost made it through with out incident...and then I got lazy and didn't check to see who was happy and who wasn't and this is what I get :blush: (I even mention it in my turn log...this bugs me badly)

My apology to whomever is next. That’s no way to leave a set of turns.
BTW Brandenburg gets a Scientist

Turn 10 (560 AD)
Move workers - move units back towards cities not that the French are moving away
Move galley towards E Island
And so ends the reign of Baron Von Mistfit

Post turn report:

Well besides the last weedy moment there not overly exciting turns...but what the hey at the end of my turns we are again ahead of Japan in score for what that’s worth.

We have a settler in the SE ready to settle if you like the spot

We have one settler headed towards the galley being built on the west side
We have 2 settlers in a galley headed towards the East Island
I can't make many Knights because we have no Rax. You can add one to Heidelberg pre turn if you want another. It's currently on University.
I think out of all of our cities we only have 2 Rax, so I only made Knights out of those. Reg Knights make no sense to me.
Just a side note: The Russian’s were at war the whole ten turns but no Cities traded hands.
Again I apologize for the burning city. On to the next player.

2nd Weedlike move I forgot to copy the save to disk before I came to work so it won't get uploaded unitl 6 p.m. this evening...

Our Empire

West Side Story:

East Germany:

Again, I will upload the save this evening

Nice write-up, Mistfit, and a solid set of turns! Don't sweat the weedy move, Scout and I have both had one of those so far in this game :lol: In fact only GK has yet to let a city riot... :mischief:

I can see you are another Barracks addict! Well, we aren't planning any major military efforts yet, and we have had our hands full with building workers/settlers/libraries... Maybe later we'll get more Militaristic ;)

I liked your trading. Taking the AI's cash seems fair to me, as we can plow it into science, and they tend to rush units. The only thing we might want to be light on is gpt deals later on. Speeding the tech pace is all-important in this variant we are trying, so I think your trades were sound. But poor old Tokugawa!! :cry: What has he ever done to you?? :lol:

Tal

Rax are cool, but there's another improvement that we need to take advantage of - harbors. We need to get one in play soon after astronomy, so we can get some lux trades going "across the pond".

Sorry for the double-post, but since there's a chance that a player might be joining us, let's put this on hold for a day.

Order of go:

Gengis Khan: Up, but please stand-by for the moment
Tallanas: On deck
Scoutsout: In the bullpen
Mistfit: Just played
______ ? - possible slot for a new player, possible "up" if he wants to join in.

This may change if we add another, and we may want to tinker with it depending on whether the new player would feel comfortable jumping right in.

Q/Tweed: MIA, out of rotation for the time being.

@Tallanas
But poor old Tokugawa!! What has he ever done to you??
I think every Civ player has one Arch Nemisis. Tok happens to be mine. I can't play him worth a hoot, and I have been decimated by Sam's on a number of games.
@Scout
but there's another improvement that we need to take advantage of - harbors.

Ya know I wasn't thinking of that aspect of harbors. Normally I think of them just for the additional food. Good point. (Stil the teacher...even out of class :lol: )

Mistfit said:
@Tallanas

I think every Civ player has one Arch Nemisis. Tok happens to be mine. I can't play him worth a hoot, and I have been decimated by Sam's on a number of games.

Ah, I see :lol:

I have a couple of Civs I love to hate - the Americans, and the Persians. The Americans (in game only!) annoy me by their expansionism (bad neighbours!). The Persians are just nasty, and the Immortals are a pain in the backside!

Hello, gentlemen. Karasu has kindly invited me to join this team. Glad to be on board.

Scoutsout, thanks very much for holding the game up for me. But I'm up in my other game at the moment (Karasu!), so I'd rather play after GK, or wherever you see fit to put me in the roster. I'm in North America, if we're paying attention to time zones.

I've read the whole thread, and I understand that we're going for the "unbuilt UN" win, with an emphasis on pushing the tech pace. But I'd welcome any advice or commentary the rest of you might consider helpful, of course.

Two questions for Scoutsout:

1. A few pages back, you refer to "leaving one gold on the table" to reduce all the "obnoxious clicking". If this means that you know a trick to speed up the tedious diplo checks, could you please describe it in detail?

2. You've consistently said that we might not have to capture the UN to win. But have you ever actually seen an AI civ call a UN vote which the human player then won? I haven't.

Welcome Northern Pike :D (may we refer to you as North, Pike, NP, or do you prefer the full title?) BTW one if my favorite sport fish in the world

Good question on both: I will look forward to the answer on #1
#2 we discussed a few pgs back and decided we would actually have to take the UN

NP is fine. :) The fishing must be fantastic where you live.

Oops.. actually that discussion on the UN was in the TDG thread. To paraphrase the discussion it was generally decided that the AI will not call for a vote if they can't win.

For BIG Northern Pike...we will do a fly-in in Northern Ontario about every other year...very nice...last year I landed a 45" Northern

@Northern Pike: Welcome to the team, glad to have you on board!

Tallanas is on the other side of the pond, GMT± a couple minutes of angle... I believe the rest of us are in N. America somewhere... (though GK's spirit may be ... "elsewhere"... :p )

Let's see if Gengis posts a 'got it' this evening or not, and tinker with the play order from there. Slotting you in now would keep the rest of the order of play the same.. and I wouldn't mind waiting a day or two if you could get to it by... Thursday?

On "leaving one gold on the table": When you open diplomacy with an AI, you can offer one gold, look at what they've got (Gold,lux, tech, workers) and hit the <Esc> key. Open up diplomacy with another AI, put one gold on the table, hit escape. Once you've done this with all the AI, the next time you open up diplomacy with that AI (even on the next turn) it will take you straight back to the point where you put that gold on the table, and you can see if they've got anything new each turn. It only resets if you do a transaction with them.

A MUCH better way (that I started playing with last weekend) is Dianthus' Mapstat utility that comes with his CivReplay suite. This includes elements of Ainwood's "Trade Assist". It basically looks at the autosaves automatically and lets you know if there are workers for sale or new techs to trade around. I'll post a link later if you have trouble finding it. It is absolutely awesome..

On capturing the UN - others are convincing me that we will probably have to capture it. Hopefully France will build it for us, because they'll be easier to invade than someone on the other continent.

Scoutsout, no problem--I can start playing Thursday night, if it works out that way.

Thanks for describing the clever trick. And that utility sounds great, as you say--I've been dreaming of something like that for years.

Mistfit, thanks for the link.

Northern Pike said:
Thanks for describing the clever trick. And that utility sounds great, as you say--I've been dreaming of something like that for years.
It may very well be the best thing to happen to Civ since Bamspeedy went public with the 4-turn settler factory...

Welcome, Pike :)

Team Scout is back up to full strength! [dance]

scoutsout said:
A MUCH better way (that I started playing with last weekend) is Dianthus' Mapstat utility that comes with his CivReplay suite. This includes elements of Ainwood's "Trade Assist". It basically looks at the autosaves automatically and lets you know if there are workers for sale or new techs to trade around. I'll post a link later if you have trouble finding it. It is absolutely awesome..

Sounds awesome, so I downloaded it - haven't used it yet, but I have a question. How legal is it? i.e. is it permissible in any GoTM?

Tallanas said:
Sounds awesome, so I downloaded it - haven't used it yet, but I have a question. How legal is it? i.e. is it permissible in any GoTM?
I confirmed in a PM with Ainwood yesterday that it's permissible for GOTM/COTM and HOF games. Just don't uncheck the spoiler boxes...

...and speaking of GOTM...

@Gengis: Did you notice that GOTM32 "Classic" is playable with un-modded PTW? :mischief:

Heh, just having a test game with it, a PTW game as Spain - I like it :)

Top Bottom