I3 or I5 on my new computer to runCiv5

DABegley

Warlord
I am finally upgrading to a new computer and therefor will actually be able to buy (about 5 minutes after I order the computer) and run Civ5 and I have a question on which Chip I should buy. I will basically get a Dell desktop and continue to use the 19 inch flat screen Dell monitor I already have. The two options are;

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3-2130 processor (3M Cache, 3.4 GHz), 6GB 1600MHz, Intel® HD Integrated Graphics for $429 from Dell

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3330s processor (up to 3.20 GHz), 8GB at 1600MHz, Intel® HD Integrated Graphics for $579 from Dell

I have heard rumors that the integrated graphics for the i3 won't run Civ5 but there was disagreement on the websites I looked at so I figured I would check here. Civ5 would be the highest end game I would run. I'm a grand strategy type, Civ5, EU3 Divine Wind, etc., no 3D or multiplayer stuff. Some picture/video work my wife does but not heavy graphics.

Thanks.

Please ignore this post as it has been made irrelevant by me reading the Civ5 intro on this website (should have done that first). This will be a desktop at my home and my home has no internet connection and likely never will, I do all web related stuff from work or the library, and as I have found out there is no way to run Civ5 without first activating with steam I cannot run that game. Such is life, I guess I will have to be happy with Civ4 and EU3 Divine Wind. Sorry for taking up your time.

Sorry but piracy is not my thing. If the makers of Civ5 release a patch that allows me to play without an internet connection then I will buy the game in a second. Otherwise no business from me.

Playing without an internet is doable, very much so, after the game is installed, and the proper channels negotiated. One has to weigh the frustration to get there along side the frustration to not being able to play the game at all. Right now may not be a good time, because the latest patch has brought out it's own issues that should be delt with before any one attempts to go that route. The best bet is to start a steam account now, and when they have a great sale on the game take advantage of that. Steam is free, and you can always check the web with a smart phone to see when the sales are going on.

You can always try the demo free. I don't know if you can play it offline, but it may give you a chance to see how to play in offline mode.

It is legal to use a jump drive with steam and civ5 already loaded, as long as you can set the drive up on a computer that has an internet connection. If the game has been properly registered with steam, it does not matter as long as steam is in offline mode before the thumb drive is transferred. You will also want to make sure that the game is working ok, before transfering the jump drive. You will not be able to enjoy anything related to the online experience, but you can still play the game.

Unfortunately I also do not have a cell phone, reception in the woods of northern Maine is so poor they are basically not functional. Probably my best option wood be to get a laptop instead of a desktop and just load the game using the wifi from work or the library, coffee shop etc.

While it sounds like you've already figured out your options, I'll answer the question anyway. A core i3 using integrated graphics will run the game, but not very well. You will not have access to DirectX 11 mode, for one thing. There will be a noticeable different in performance with the i5.

Many people (myself included) assumed, that because Civ V was a Civ game, and they are not famous for being hardware intensive, that Civ V is not taxing on hardware. It is actually very demanding, and requires the best you can throw at it. As I understand it, graphics cards are optimized for things like FPS and 3D games, and Civ V uses the cards completely different from how the other games do. The more RAM and better your CPU and GPU are, the better the game will run. An i3 will run it. I just can't say you will have good luck with it. (I personally run the game on an i7 with HD 3000 graphics, and I don't have much of a problem, although my FPS could be higher.)

The second computer you listed (the i5) is all around a better Civ V computer. Having a dedicated graphics card would be a big help, too.

Top Bottom