I Fixed The Maf Error... Here Is How!!

i have quad core 3 ghz, 4gb of ram nvidea gforce and still not enough? Wow.

Dude, you could have a Cray mainframe, the problem is with the software. Civ IV has a memory leak that was never fixed; you're going to have to periodically stop and restart. The bigger the map = more stuff to do = shorter time between reloads.

thanks so much dude
i can play RAND on gigantic, back then i cant even play on duel
but it still crashes randomly when scrolling around the map @1.8GB ram, any tips?

@webtax

I could be wrong, but you will get NO MAF's with 64bit.

I have a windows 7 64 bit rig (intel i5 2500k processor, 8gb ddr 3 ram, and an nvidia 460gtx gpu).

I've gotten the memory allocation failure twice in about 25 hours of play time.

I've just completed the solution provided by the original poster. Hopefully this works.

I have a windows 7 64 bit rig (intel i5 2500k processor, 8gb ddr 3 ram, and an nvidia 460gtx gpu).

I've gotten the memory allocation failure twice in about 25 hours of play time.

I've just completed the solution provided by the original poster. Hopefully this works.

This game will still get maf errors regardless of operating system because the game is 32-bit, so it still has memory limits.

To avoid maf errors set affinity to 1 processor only so it won't get interference from other tasks. Plus the game plays faster as well.

Make sure to run the processor editor, but it should already have the patch in 64-bit windows by default. but double check to be sure.

to set affinity:
1. Start game and minimize it (alt+tab out or maybe alt+enter)
2. start the task manager (right click the task bar and select," Start Task Manager", or press ctrl+alt+del and select, "Start Task Manager"
3.select Processes tab
4. right click CivilizationIV.exe (or whatever it's called) and select, "Set Affinity..."
5. uncheck all CPUs except 1 (doesn't matter which one)

This will reserve 1 cpu to the game only and nothing else. It should make it faster and lessen the maf error (but not eliminate it)

Good luck
-=Mark=-

This game will still get maf errors regardless of operating system because the game is 32-bit, so it still has memory limits.

To avoid maf errors set affinity to 1 processor only so it won't get interference from other tasks. Plus the game plays faster as well.

Make sure to run the processor editor, but it should already have the patch in 64-bit windows by default. but double check to be sure.

to set affinity:
1. Start game and minimize it (alt+tab out or maybe alt+enter)
2. start the task manager (right click the task bar and select," Start Task Manager", or press ctrl+alt+del and select, "Start Task Manager"
3.select Processes tab
4. right click CivilizationIV.exe (or whatever it's called) and select, "Set Affinity..."
5. uncheck all CPUs except 1 (doesn't matter which one)

This will reserve 1 cpu to the game only and nothing else. It should make it faster and lessen the maf error (but not eliminate it)

Good luck
-=Mark=-

Thanks for the tip, Mark. I'll try it out. Still can't believe I let this game collect dust for all those years.

Windows 7, 12 GB RAM, 3,2 GHz processor (intel i5-4570) and... the game catches MAF errors at least every third turn. I'm playing latest Caveman 2 Cosmos, Immense world. I know that the game is written for 32 bit systems, but come on! Crash once per 10 turn would be acceptable, but not 3rd (and going to 2nd) turn after reloading the game.

ANY advice would be great. The trick with single CPU affinity didn't work - it actually made the problem even bigger. Is the trick from the very first post vailid for Windows 7?

I fixed my maf error by deleting the heros file in strategyonly_2275 folder (assets/python). Loads without delay as well. Autolog text file printed out the error.

Top Bottom