Saved Game Load Error

OldSofty

Chieftain
I am suddenly getting a "this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way" message on Civ 5 when it tries to load (in Windows 7) a saved game. This is on an installation that was working quite well before. The only thing I can think of that has changed is a series of "Windows automatic updates." I should also mention that the saved game in question is another of my mamoth games. I am about to reach a population of 2 Billion (I believe it is currently at 1.7 billion now)!

I've certainly got more than enough ram, with 12 gigs. I have also switched over to 3 ATI 5750 cards, but I hasten to emphasize that these were working quite well on this large game. I simply took a break from playing it and finally came back to finish it. Now I get the error mentioned above. Any thoughts?

Would you care to share the save file?

About the only thing that works any more for me, is varifying the local cache online via steam.

In Steam:

Right click on the game title in the Library. Properties should be the last item in the drop down menu. Opening properties should give you a box with 4 tabs across the top. The third one should be local content. The 3rd option down should be varify local content. It will take about 2+ minutes. It will probably download a file. Keep doing this until the box says all files varifies succesfully. If it does not download any files, then there is another problem.

For me that has fixed 97% of all the problems that have been addressed in this forum. Getting rid of Norton Virus fixed the rest. Sometimes a file gets corrupted if you are in the middle of a game and steam pushes a new update out at the same time.

Thank you for your response. I did the verification as instructed but no files were downloaded. The saved game sill will not load without the "unusual termination" error. Clearly this must be related to another issue. Perhaps the Steam or Firaxis technical folks might take a look at this problem? Do I need to post the error to some other site to expidite this outcome? I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks again.

I cannot test this file for you. It has too many mods for my taste. My suggestion is to check each mod that you are running over in the mod thread to see if they need upgrading with the two new patches that have come out in the last few months.

TimToFly:

I understand your stance on the mods quantity. This kind of maximization is not every body's cup of tea. I do appreciate your taking the time to look into it though. I will see what I can do along the lines you have suggested. It is certainly a reasonable place to start.

Top Bottom