BAT Errata

Entwood, the entirety of CFC has you to thank for the release. And below is the reason we do this:

Thank you very much.

You're welcome. :D

Bat 3.0

I have a problem with the installer.exe file

Spoiler :

Just so you know I've got correct file, and I have 2 to use.

1st I un-installed Bat 2.3 through Wine, yes I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. This version worked fine, love it, blah blah blah praise and gratitude. :clap: :worship:

Next I install Bat 3.0, again through wine, works fine....

Start a game, Problems galore.

1st screen dumped to is Technology screen, exit that, no mini map, no icons, no interface. Hmm struck this before I think.

Spoiler :

Rename Civ4coregame.dll back to original, rename Bull 1.2's to ....bull1.2

Start Bat game again, same problem.. Double Hmm

Start Normal game, normal screens, etc no bull, so working fine, rename back, start game, Bull works as it should.

Uninstall Bat 3.0, reinstall Bat 2.3 all under wine, no changes to Bull..Bat 2.3 loads up saved game fine, interface, icons and all is fine.

Leading me, the donkey I am, to the conclusion, problem with Installer Bat 3.0 Exe file.

Spoiler :

Now 60 downloads and I'm the 1st to report error, I don't think so, I was download No 55-60 at least.

So any idea what problem is?? same screen shots as in Bug

Spoiler :

Bull 1.3 options all load under Bat, game plays under Bat, it just ...like... no interface, no complete Tech tree. Hmm maybe I should download 1.3 Bull, and install that??? Nah, forget that, not available.

Just to Further compound the situation, Sourgeforce has Bat 2.2a as default download, though easy enough to get 3.0.

PythonErr.txt

Spoiler :

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "BugUtil", line 691, in <lambda>

File "BugEventManager", line 570, in preGameStart

File "CvAppInterface", line 70, in preGameStart

File "CvScreensInterface", line 83, in showTechChooser

File "CvTechChooser", line 231, in interfaceScreen

File "CvTechChooser", line 243, in ConstructTabs

File "CvTechChooser", line 280, in DrawTechChooser

File "CvTechChooser", line 324, in placeTechs

AttributeError: type object 'CvPythonExtensions.WidgetTypes' has no attribute 'WIDGET_TECH_CHOOSER_ERA'

ERR: Python function preGameStart failed, module CvAppInterface

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 72, in showMainInterface

File "CvMainInterface", line 428, in interfaceScreen

File "CvMainInterface", line 346, in initState

File "PLE", line 180, in PLE_CalcConstants

File "PLE", line 851, in getMaxRow

ZeroDivisionError: integer division or modulo by zero

ERR: Python function showMainInterface failed, module CvScreensInterface

So??? Opinions.... (forget windozzzz)

Further to this, strangely, I've found that Alt-J brings up the Bug options screen, as well as Cntl-Alt-O Most intriguing.

Tried a few other options, still get same errors...

Maybe it needs Bull 1.3...maybe??? but Nah....really I don't even think that.

I've had a problem similar to IPEX. Tried several times by uninstallling everything and reinstalling the latest BAT and BUG. When in start BAT at the initial prompt everything is fine, but subsequent starts begin with the tech tree followed by the blank interface. After the last reinstall, I've discovered that doing a load saved game of the initial start produces the interface without a problem: curiouser and curiouser.

Once the mod is running, however, the gameplay is much improved. Very nice job with this mod. As a near-illiterate computer user, I really appreciate the time and efforts spent on the project.

Side note: I chuckled a bit at Lemon's helpful hints, but you forgot one: "Always wear a smile and everyone will be left wondering what you're up to."

@IPEX and Olfart - BAT includes BULL already. And in fact it uses different compile-time options when building BULL. This means that you cannot use a "stock" BULL with BAT. Instead, use the BULL that's in BAT.

I assume that you replaced BAT's DLL with BULL's, so put BAT's back and you should be okay.

Same issue here:
1st screen dumped to is Technology screen, exit that, no mini map, no icons, no interface. Hmm struck this before I think.

I even re-installed away from UAC Program Files (x86) (VISTA) folder but hit this problem at new game startup. I also remember something like this happening in previous releases....going thru the threads now...but if anybody knows?

UPDATE: Issue is described previously in Bug Reporting thread, posts 2450-2457 or so.

I do have my game patched to 3.19. After some quit to desktop and restart the problem seems to go away but also have to save first then as in previous post, I've discovered that doing a load saved game of the initial start produces the interface without a problem: curiouser and curiouser.

Maybe something gets updated that is needed when saving a game. I wish I knew what it was because it makes me mistrust my install.

It does sound similar to the "not updated to 3.19" problem. In that case, one of the icons being drawn by the Technology Advisor is not recognized by the system, and it stops drawing mid-stream. This leaves the advisor open and keeps the game from drawing the main screen. Alt-tabbing out and back in or loading a new game causes the main screen to be redrawn, but I suspect your Technology Advisor is still half-drawn.

So, this gives me an idea. BAT added female great people (what I like to call Great Women of History), and perhaps this is not working on the TA. Oh, I now see that IPEX did post PythonErr.log. Here's the problem:

Code:
AttributeError: type object 'CvPythonExtensions.WidgetTypes' has no attribute 'WIDGET_TECH_CHOOSER_ERA'

This is a new widget added by Ruff when he added the era colors to the Technology Advisor. I'll have to take a look when I get home to see where it's defined, but for now you can modify the following line (324) from Assets/Python/Screens/CvTechChooser.py:

Code:
screen.attachPanelAt( sPanel, szTechRecordShadow, u"", u"", True, False, PanelStyles.PANEL_STYLE_TECH, iX - 6 + iShadowOffset, iY - 6 + iShadowOffset, self.getXStart() + 6, 12 + ( self.BOX_INCREMENT_HEIGHT * self.PIXEL_INCREMENT ), WidgetTypes.[B][COLOR="Red"]WIDGET_TECH_CHOOSER_ERA[/COLOR][/B], gc.getTechInfo(i).getEra(), -1 )

to

Code:
screen.attachPanelAt( sPanel, szTechRecordShadow, u"", u"", True, False, PanelStyles.PANEL_STYLE_TECH, iX - 6 + iShadowOffset, iY - 6 + iShadowOffset, self.getXStart() + 6, 12 + ( self.BOX_INCREMENT_HEIGHT * self.PIXEL_INCREMENT ), WidgetTypes.[B][COLOR="Red"]WIDGET_GENERAL[/COLOR][/B], -1, -1 )

That alone did not seem to work. Could it have anything to do with BAT having a semi-bogus

<Type>ERA_FUTURISTIC</Type> ERA in it's ASSETS...XML/GAMEINFO/CIV4EraInfos

re: WIDGET_TECH_CHOOSER_ERA

something to do with ERA's just guessing. I think some of the VD Assets in BAT may be assuming VD's Modern Era Expansion is chosen which is not an option in BAT. I think the VD Assets in BAT should at least be checked carefully for an Modern Era expansion only changes, and any MEE changes taken out of Vanilla BAT and utilized only if there ever will be an optional MEE BAT. There may be a few more VD MEE files in addition to CIV4EraInfos.

There may be a few other little VD related things, such as does BUG/BAT include one specific roads graphics and VD another? It would be cool to have
a choice if so, even if this is a small thing.

My log:
File "CvTechChooser", line 231, in interfaceScreen
File "CvTechChooser", line 243, in ConstructTabs
File "CvTechChooser", line 280, in DrawTechChooser
File "CvTechChooser", line 368, in placeTechs
File "CvTechChooser", line 396, in addIconsToTechPanel
RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function preGameStart failed, module CvAppInterface

I'm willing to bet $5 that you're correct, entwood. The era coloring in BUG worked fine before, works fine in BUG alone and in Better BUG AI. BAT is the only mod with the problem that I know of. Why only for some people, I have no clue.

@Lemon - Can you please check that this futuristic era is removed from BAT?

Well boys, I must say that I'm baffled (and a little embarrassed. :blush: )

I've been fiddling with this most of the evening, and I've discovered a couple of things. First, a little background on the development cycle:

I usually have three or four different versions of BAT in various stages of development on my hard drive at any one time. To minimize the mayhem, I use a mod chooser to load things whilst I fiddle around. When time comes to release, I load by the BAT Icon, by the main BTS.exe file then load the mod. Basically, I try every possible loading method a number of times.

I have never had the tech screen problem on the finished version before this evening. The problem seems to be intermittent, and I guess that I just got lucky, and never had the release version break. If it does mess up, it seems to break once, and then load properly the next time. It depends on what is in the cache, it seems.

This is what I've tried to do to fix it:

1. I tried removing the Futuristic Era stuff, and it didn't change anything

2. I tried EF's suggestion of changing the line in CvTechChooser.py, without effect.

3. I have removed one of the start game pop ups. No change.

I can say for certain that the female unit graphics and the changes for those units in the SDK and Python do not cause the problem. The Futuristic era thing is part of VD, in that it uses some files from Avain's Quot Capita mod. The game should ignore the Futuristic era tags. It has never been a problem before, but it will be removed.

The only thing that I can think of is that I made an error whilst merging in the new SVN files from BUG, and I've crossed something up. For now, I ask your indulgence while I try to fix things. I will either release a new build or a patch very shortly. You can rest assured that BAT itself is stable, this is just a cosmetic hiccup and I will fix it quickly.

Sorry for the temporary confusion. :(

@ Entwood:

All of the MEE files are always removed from BAT as they cause problems. I am working on an optional MEE add on, but it won't be ready for a bit.

No problem here. Reloading a save game seems to remove the problem every time, and things work fine after that. On the road of life, this isn't even a speed bump. Besides, it's nothing that a couple of shots of quality bourbon won't fix.

Lemon Merchant, thanks for you quick response. n.p. got what I paid for :lol: :gold:

Joking....Love the work, thanks.

On supposed random errors, I have PLE Plot drawing enabled, and not BUG or the 3rd option. (doesn't affect 2.3)

Wide tech screen?? (shouldn't matter)

On and the new art work on the random events, love it...I love it...so unexpected, so nice. (I got the Chariots building challenge)

Oh, on the Bull changes, I do realize that BAT has its own, I was just swapping as it was the cause of my last error, which Emperor's Fool, pointed out how to fix, well sent me off in right direction.

and On Emperor's Fools Fix, hasn't he got a double negative on the True/ False Boolean statement (I think I said that right?? )
WIDGET_GENERAL, -1, -1 )

I got a Lemon game-message or hint about being up at 4 AM and skipping work. I think I managed to go to work most times, but, yes I have played at 4 AM, just one more turn.

Lovely update. I urge development of BAT to continue.

* Why not include a bit more of the Blue Marble options? I like to add the Blue Marble Suggestions for font size and color scheme for one; or maybe
pick and apply one to BAT since 1/2 it's purpose is graphics anyway, such as pick on that you like as a new default.

* Would like to see the latest UOP, Unofficial Patch 1.60 also.

Also got "Horse Whisperer"...just great new stuff...

@Lemon - Can you please check that this futuristic era is removed from BAT?
Done! :)

Besides, it's nothing that a couple of shots of quality bourbon won't fix.
Tequila... root beer... Tequial AND root beer... drain cleaner... it's all the same. :lol:

and On Emperor's Fools Fix, hasn't he got a double negative on the True/ False Boolean statement (I think I said that right?? )
No, his fix is right. It won't run if you take out the double negative.

Lovely update. I urge development of BAT to continue.
It will. :)

* Why not include a bit more of the Blue Marble options? I like to add the Blue Marble Suggestions for font size and color scheme for one; or maybe
pick and apply one to BAT since 1/2 it's purpose is graphics anyway, such as pick on that you like as a new default.
It's been added to my "to do" list. Fuyu showed me a nifty way to make added things optional a long time ago. As I find time...

* Would like to see the latest UOP, Unofficial Patch 1.60 also.
That's EF's department, but I'm sure it will make an appearance when he has the time to update BULL with the new UOP.

Also got "Horse Whisperer"...just great new stuff...
Just wait until Saibotlieh's gorgeous women start showing up. Magnifique! That's my favorite new part of BAT. (Aside from my Movie Mod, that is, but I'm trying not to be too self congratulatory. Not that that ever works... :lol: )

Well shoot, I checked the UP right before Lemon put out BAT 3.0, and it was still at 1.5 with no outstanding changes in its SVN. Did they sneak in a few changes and do a release at the last minute? :p

Well shoot, I checked the UP right before Lemon put out BAT 3.0, and it was still at 1.5 with no outstanding changes in its SVN. Did they sneak in a few changes and do a release at the last minute? :p
It's ok. I might have to do a recall. Then we can put in all the things that nobody told us about. :lol:

I was having the same issue as entwood with BAT 3.0 (See attached screen shot). I dl'd the installer and accepted the default install (Libraries>Documents>My Games>Beyond the Sword>MODS>BAT Mod 3.0 running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with Administrator privileges.

Civ IV complete is installed in C:\Games. I let the installer shotgun all of the files into that folder because CivIV is the only game I play. Game runs fine without mods and I successfully installed patch 3.19.

I got the same result whether I use the BAT Mod desktop shortcut, the Advanced > Load a Mod option at game setup and when I edited BAT Mod 3.0 to the Mod = line in CivIV .ini.

So, in an effort to find out what was going wrong, I changed HidePythonExceptions in CIv IV.ini from 0 to 1. Just started a game and everything is working: the GUI is back, I can get the BUG mod options menu to pop up, etc (See screenshot2, attached) I've played a few turns, saved and loaded game, everything seems okay.

EDIT: I did a lousy job of cropping screenshot2. The CIv GUI is complete at the bottom of the screen, I just managed to cut it off.

I'll leave why this worked to better minds than my own.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 157
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for that report.

Question for LM, EF, Fuyu. How hard would it be to release BAT with a Better BTS AI option?

Wouldn't this be the best first step into altered game play options? Then BAT will be so well-rounded, with superb Interface, Graphics, and optional AI, it would just be amazing.

Fuyu's and JDog's work is grand but it is totally BUG or Vanilla oriented which makes a lot of sense in many cases but with Lemon's new creative changes in BAT, it will be much harder to give up on BAT, and install components separately such as VD, Blue Marble, BUG, and Better BTS AI (JDog's or Fuyu's) to get better AI, and lose the BULL I suppose.

Top Bottom