SGOTM 15 - Maple Sporks

Sounds like a good idea or we can add gold to our pot but that would still leave the Oracle available for someone to build.

Let's hope we get the 'mids and construction before Toku gets to LB's.

If you don't mind, I'm going to proceed without running the plan through the test-save.

The plan is as follows:
Cities:
StoneHill: Mids; give Corn to MarbleHill right away, give FP in two turns as the city grows (reasoning: last hill isn't mined yet, this way both profit from optimized tiles)
GF: Settler > Library (settler gets chop + whip); regrow, at size 5 hire scientists.
PearlySwine: Switch to library
MarbleHill: Barracks > Axe
New city: Barracks > Axe

Workers:
GF worker a: chop > mine gold > farm
GF worker b: chop > mine gold > prechop cap > improve new city > finish chop
MH worker: stop farm, mine cap > prechop/finish MH farm/improve new city > finish chop
PS worker: stop farm, mine cap > finish farm > farm

Tech: Math > Hunting

Questions/points up for debate:
GF: We can also build the lib first (with or without chop), then start the settler
MH: We can build a lib here as well, for popping a scientists (with Corn/PH it has enough food).
New city: Do we want NorthernGold first, or DeerCow? (I'd vote for DeerCow)
Tech: what is our techpath after math? Hunting is slotted in for deer, but what do we need next?

Sounds good.

I vote deercow too, would go construction after math and hunting. Not sure about lib in MH, maybe keep it on military. Also once we have rep, increased happy cap means we might need corn/fp for cap to grow, meaning less room for scientists.

I must admit to a massive loss of enthusiasm for this game. I have no doubt that we'll win the game of course, I also strongly suspect we'll be competing for the maple spork.

Deercow will be able to better help out with the military buildup (and is closer to the warfront) so it gets my vote.

Otherwise, the plan sounds good.

While I feel deflated about the setback of losing Oracle, I don't think we are guaranteed a wooden spoon. The spoon goes to the lowest score not latest finish date. Plus, I'm sure other teams will suffer similar setbacks. I think getting to the warfare aspect of this game will help increase interest.

I think we just need to re-group and get over the loss of the Oracle and try to take advantage of the fail gold. Let's just keep working toward getting to those trebs and see how it goes.

Plan looks good Sengir. Let 'er rip!

Turn 13 cont'd:
Switch GF to library: the workers will be busy for a bit, and this way I can delay the chop until Math is in.

Turn 14:
We get 122 failgold

Turn 15:
MarbleHill: Barracks > Axe

Turn 16:
Great, another Toku:
Spoiler :

Turn 17:
Spot a barb warrior up North, move the extra warrior from GoldenFleece towards StoneHill

Turn 18:
Making contingency plans for the barb warrior

Turn 19:
More contingency-planning.

Turn 20:
Almost there…

Turn 21:
Math is in, set tech to hunting. I'm 6 hammers short of finishing the Mids this turn (stupid barbwarrior killed one of the mines, let's pray that this time there won't be a debacle).
Also: GF lost the corn this turn :( so I switch it to a settler, next turn that'll get a chop + whip, overflow into lib.

Turn 22:
Hunting in, set tech to Construction
A warrior got killed (I was using him as bait to make sure the barb didn't get to ruin more mines). Finish of the barb warrior

Turn 23:
Mids in, slot in a Barracks for now in Stone Hill. Alternatively we can build a library here.
There's another barbwarrior coming from the North.
The settler in GF can be 2-pop-whipped, with overflow into the lib, the lib should finish pretty fast, hopefully that'll be enough to get the corn back soon, though I doubt it.
MarbleHill needs some worker attention, the one SE of the cap can move towards MH to help the current one, the one rebuilding the mine can move towards DeerCow.

The Save

Spoiler :
Turn 64, 1440 BC: Golden Fleece can no longer work on The Oracle. The lost ℤ is converted into 122ℴ!
Turn 64, 1440 BC: Tokugawa adopts Slavery!

Turn 72, 1120 BC: You have discovered Mathematics!

Turn 73, 1080 BC: The enemy has been spotted near Stone Hill!
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Tokugawa has no worst enemy.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: The borders of MarbleHill are about to expand.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Stone Hill.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Stone Hill.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: PearlySwine will grow to size 5 on the next turn.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: You have discovered Hunting!
Turn 73, 1080 BC: The borders of MarbleHill have expanded!
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Hatsegawa has founded Elephantine in a distant land.
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior (2.00) vs Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) (2.00)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Combat Odds: 50.0%
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (80/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (60/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (40/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) is hit for 20 (20/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 20 (20/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) is hit for 20 (0/100HP)
Turn 73, 1080 BC: Barbarian's Warrior has defeated Gandhi's Warrior 4 (Stone Hill)!
Turn 73, 1080 BC: While defending, your Warrior 4 (Stone Hill) was destroyed by a Barbarian Warrior!

Turn 74, 1040 BC: The enemy has been spotted near Stone Hill!
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Stone Hill can hurry The Pyramids for 1⇴ with 27ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 74, 1040 BC: PearlySwine has grown to size 5.
Turn 74, 1040 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa.
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 2 (Stone Hill) (2.00) vs Barbarian's Warrior (0.40)
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Combat Odds: 100.0%
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 25 (0/100HP)
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Gandhi's Warrior 2 (Stone Hill) has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Your Warrior 2 (Stone Hill) has destroyed a Warrior!
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Golden Fleece.
Turn 74, 1040 BC: MarbleHill will grow to size 5 on the next turn.
Turn 74, 1040 BC: Gandhi has completed The Pyramids!

Turn 75, 1000 BC: Golden Fleece can hurry Settler for 2⇴ with 25ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 75, 1000 BC: MarbleHill has grown to size 5.

Good we got the mids at least. In the log I see Toku dropped WE status, he won't trade now regardless, will he?

Maybe we should send an axe up north to deal with incoming barbs.

I'll look at it later.

Pigswill is up iirc, if he can still find the motivation. :p

Nope, and he got back into it relatively fast as well. There ain't no axes yet; MH will finish one soon (next turn IIRC), he should move north indeed.

At the very least we can build up some XP to make him a CRII unit for our eventual Real Toku assault.

Do we think there are any non-tokus out there???

I'm starting to doubt the availability of Non-Toku's to be honest, though they might be on a different landmass.

Maybe the founder of Hindu is a non-Toku but I'm starting to doubt it myself.

It will make for an interesting remainder of the game....

I had a quick look yesterday and given the unfortunate loss of the Oracle I think we're doing quite okay. We'll soon have 2 libraries that can hire 4 scientists which with representation should practically double our science rate. So construction currently at 17 turns likely can be had in 10 or 11 turns (accounting for some lag time for whipping the libraries, hiring scientists and the revolt to representation). Then other techs like aesthetics, alpha, currency, IW shouldn't take too terribly long either. Of course we'll have to think of which of these techs to pursue first. I'm wondering if extorting alpha/IW from Toku is feasible.

Note that Osaka has christianity (the religion from polytheism). So either Toku is the founder or the founder is likely on his other side from us. Given that Osaka is not the holy city I suspect it's from a neighbour, as Osaka would've been the most likely holy city had Toku founded it.

I think Currency will be useful to prevent a eco-crash. But for the discount it'd be better to go Alpha first. I wouldn't count on getting both Alpha and IW from Toku (even IW is a stretch I suppose), so I think Alpha > Currency > Aest would be my preference. This leaves the possibility to get IW from Toku open for a later decision.

I'm not convinced by the engineering gambit in this situation because we basically have to research everything ourselves. If we could trade for stuff like alpha, maths, IW etc then we'd get eng quite a bit earlier.

If we're going for war vs Toku then currency>CoL seem pretty useful to prevent a crash but these are extra techs.

In conclusion we either hole up and wait for eng or we go for cataxe vs Toku. I really can't see us achieving both.

I don't think we need to throw out the engineering idea just yet as long as we don't need fishing. After construction we could do currency and aesthetics and still keep open the possibility of bulbing the path to engineering. It might well be possible to extort alpha meanwhile from Toku. I don't think CoL/caste is essential in the short/medium run.

Top Bottom