SGOTM 15 - Maple Sporks

I'd settle where the settler is currently at. As a city it's the best long-term spot imo.

I think GF needs some worker-love in farms. It should grow more so that it can work gold and have 2 specs while still growing. After PS pops its GS next turn, I think we need to work farms for some turns there too to grow quickly and then rehire the specs. Maybe Cowcamp can squeeze out an extra worker at size 3 (only 5 turns, or less if whipped).

We'll have to decide about what to do with the GS next turn. It currently would bulb alpha, presumably. As the MC bulb requires that we get both alpha and aesthetics out of the way and we're looking at currency and possibly the road to theo in between, it won't make sense to keep him for MC. So either academy (where?), settle or even bulb alpha. Not that bad an option, it makes currency cheaper, we'll have to get alpha out of the way anyway at some point and we can build research. Still, no obvious choice here, so I'm quite undecided.

Nice set pigswill. According to the military screen all our WE's have swords but not axes. Not sure how accurate that is. Seeing as we are building cats is the plan to de-Toku the east?

I'd settle the GS, 9bpt iirc is worth more than immediate alpha as we'll be researching currency while whipping/chopping cataxes, currency lets us build wealth so we can run slider a bit higher (eg 10%).

I'd go for settling as well, though Acad might be an option as well (6bpt now, more when we can raise the slider).

I'm up on the roster...with my weekend status my current plan is to play on Friday night or Sunday. But there is a slight problem I ran into this weekend.

My computer is not being terribly cooperative at the moment. I have posted in the computer wing of the forum already. But in case any of you have ideas here is my issue.

My computer has trouble booting up. It takes forever to load Windows. And sometimes, if it takes too long, a screen pops up giving me two options. Either run Windows repair or start Windows normally. Both options essentially do nothing and bring me back to the screen with the same two options. So I'm stuck. I have been leaving my computer on all the time to avoid this problem. But when the power goes out in the house, I am forced to go through this.

I have replaced the hard drive (because of this same issue) and the power source both in the past year so I don't think they are the source of the problem. I am going to try and start the computer in safe mode tonight and see if I can't restore a backup or run a hard drive or virus diagnostic.

I don't want to hijack our game thread with this but my playing the next set in a timely manner depends on me fixing my issue. So any thoughts you might have will be welcomed with open arms.

Buy a new computer. :mischief:

What version of Windows have you got running? Going to windowsupdate.com might solve something. Or buying an upgrade to windows 7 in case you have xp or vista. Don't wanna make you spend money however... Money does solve a lot though. :D

Buy a new computer. :mischief:

What version of Windows have you got running? Going to windowsupdate.com might solve something. Or buying an upgrade to windows 7 in case you have xp or vista. Don't wanna make you spend money however... Money does solve a lot though. :D

This was my first thought...but obviously I would like to try and fix this one first. It is only 2 years old and if fixed would likely have better specs than any computer I could afford at the moment. :(

Sorry to not add anything to the game discussion but I haven't got a chance to look at the save yet. I can't remember what religion we run without it. :lol:

Please let us know about the progress (or not) you make with your PC the next few days. If it takes long maybe you can swap with Norvin.

On the hardware side:

Maybe replace the battery on your motherboard? I've had very strange almost random problems where this was the cause. And it's a very cheap fix, even if it turns out it wasn't the problem.
Otherwise defective RAM could cause random errors as well...

Sorry to hear of your computer woes sturick. I'm not sure if Gateway is similar to Dell in this regard but here are a few things to try. Each Dell pc has a service tag that when you go to support on their site provides a bunch of downloads for things such as the BIOS and chipset, graphics card etc. that are specific to your pc. In the past this has helped me out. Plus sometimes they have some type of Utility you can run that might help with troubleshooting.

As to the game - GF would be able to crunch out almost 3 turn cats if we mine those other 2 hills and take the mine back from Campcow. Stonehill can do the same. Axes and a spear or two from MarbleHill plus the odd unit from PearlySwine and we can start to assemble our army.

Is Kyoto 1NE of the sheep?

Computer update...

In the process of reformatting and reinstalling Windows right now. So with some luck I will have a fully operational computer by the end of the night. Before I get to reinstalling everything I want to test my hard drive, RAM and motherboard. No sense in reinstalling Civ if I have to replace my hard drive...AGAIN!

So the moral of the story is that I hope to be able to open the save and post a final PPP on Friday (48 hours from now) with the intent of playing my set on Sunday. So no swap needed at the moment.

If anyone can post city screenshots and map screenshots I would be able to make a rough draft of the PPP.

If nobody else can, I'll try to post some screenshots tonight (in 11 hrs aprox).

Some thoughts about next set:
- Supposing you get your computer working and if you feel like it, I wouldn't mind if you play a longish set. We're past the half way mark and are progressing slowly. Given the game setup, it won't be a particular short game anyway.

- Main aim for now is constructing a SoD for Toku. Mostly catapults, but also some more axes of course. Maybe mix in some spears, can't remember now if we have seen Toku horse units, but if he has horses, some stack defense against chariots/HAs will be good to have.

- Techwise currency first. Next up I'm now inclined to head to theology (poly/mono/theo). For the MC/mach/eng bulb we still have to get alpha and aesthetics out of the way and by teching those first at current science levels we might miss out on the AP, which is a nono. We could tech theo until 1 turn to go, to keep open the bulb path (I'll remind yet again that theo opens up paper/edu on the bulb path). Maybe by that time we popped new GSs and we have conquest cash to fuel quick research to alpha+aesthetics (with a side possiblity of extorting alpha from Toku), so we could at least bulb MC and maybe mach and then finish theo and "quickly" build the AP.
In any case, OR or Theo will be good to have as an option for civics. If we're obliged to play the religious game, better make use of its advantages.

- I'd build our new city where the settler is currently at. Chop out a quick monument to get access to the deer asap. Pray for a quick hindu spread too. Give it some farms. It can become a production power house later. Mining gold has priority too (to be worked from size 2 or 3).

- If we settle the GS (which is ok with me), do it in a city with a library, for 11.25 bpt. That means PS or GF. I don't think we need to worry about doing it in the future Oxford city. We may not even build Oxford and the short term gain is far more important. So I'd probably just settle it in PS which is where the GS will be born next turn.

- From what I recall, try to grow PS and GF a bit, even if it means dropping scientists temporarily. We'll catch up on that later through growth. Especially GF needs some farms.

- We can probably use another worker.

Hope it will all make sense later with some screenshots. ;)

I apologize to nocho for going through the trouble of posting the pics but I am going to have to call for a swap with Norvin. Thanks to the pics I should be able to better comment on the upcoming plan.

I have tried 3 times unsuccessfully to reinstall windows via my recovery disks. I know they work becuase I've used them before (like 3 times) yet I keep getting error messages talking about corrupted files so I think I've blown through yet another hard drive.

I'll need some time to get my computer back up and running. I haven't decided yet whether I should buy a brand new computer or just swap out another hard drive. Does anyone have experience with SSD's? Having lots of space isn't really a big deal for me and I like the idea of faster bootups and a longer lifetime on my hard drives.

Settler builds city on current tile. Was thinking worker first.

StoneHill >cats
GF axe>spear>cats
PS rax>axe
MH cat>axe>axe
CC rax>cats

Worker near MarbleHill heads to CowCamp to mine hill, then farm GF and mine
1 worker joins other to farm SH faster
another goes 2W of Cowcamp to chop into rax

2 workers after farming SH head to mine NW gold then chop

I wouldn't build a worker first in the new city, it'll delay the city getting up to speed. Better to chop out a monument first. One of the other cities can build a worker instead (Both SH and MH should be able to get one out in a reasonable amount of time). I'd move one of the workers north ASAP, for the new city, the new worker can then take over the tasks you had in mind for that worker.

Agree with Sengir about workers and the need for a monument first in new city. Worker might be built and whipped asap in cowcamp too as soon as it hits size 3.

Top Bottom