SGOTM 15 - Maple Sporks

I played about 10 turns. Met Shakagawa. Settled GS in Golden Fleece. Settled Ramayana (changed name afterward to GoldDeer)

Toku will have cats soon. I can play some more tomorrow. Figured I'd get some input first.

Save

Turn log

Spoiler :
Turn 86, 725 BC: Ramayana has been founded.
Turn 86, 725 BC: The borders of Golden Fleece have expanded!
Turn 86, 725 BC: Albert Einstein (Great Scientist) has been born in PearlySwine (Gandhi)!
Turn 86, 725 BC: Isaac Newton (Great Scientist) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 87, 700 BC: The Temple of Artemis has been built in a far away land!

Turn 90, 625 BC: The borders of Cowcamp have expanded!
Turn 90, 625 BC: Nabu-rimanni (Great Scientist) has been born in Osaka (Tokugawa)!
Turn 90, 625 BC: Hinduism has spread in Satsuma.
Turn 90, 625 BC: Hammuragawa adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 91, 600 BC: Kobo-Daishi (Great Prophet) has been born in a far away land!
Turn 91, 600 BC: Confucianism has been founded in a distant land!

Turn 94, 525 BC: PearlySwine has grown to size 4.
Turn 94, 525 BC: Cowcamp can hurry Fast Worker for 1⇴ with 18ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 94, 525 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa, Shakagawa.
Turn 94, 525 BC: MarbleHill will grow to size 5 on the next turn.

Turn 95, 500 BC: PearlySwine can hurry Axeman for 2⇴ with 31ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 17 turns.
Turn 95, 500 BC: MarbleHill has grown to size 5.
Turn 95, 500 BC: Tokugawa has no worst enemy.
Turn 95, 500 BC: Hammuragawa has no worst enemy.

Turn 96, 475 BC: Stone Hill can hurry Catapult for 1⇴ with 19ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 96, 475 BC: Golden Fleece can hurry Catapult for 2⇴ with 32ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 96, 475 BC: Shakagawa has no worst enemy

What kind of input do you need?

I can't look at the save during the day, could you give some info about the state of the nation please? How far are we from currency, what do you propose to tech next? What is the state of our army build-up, etc?

Small thing, but building some roads towards the front might come in handy later.

Confucianism founded: was that Christianity or Philo I wonder...

Confucianism founded: was that Christianity or Philo I wonder...
Couldn't it be just CoL? Can't remember whether that was founded already... Anyway, if it was, then it can only be from theology, as Christianity has been founded already, but Tao not (right?). If the normal corresponding religion is still available, it will be the normal religion getting founded...

I see we're only one AI's worst enemy. I guess it still won't happen, but check if someone might trade anything.

PS at size 5 in 2 turns can rehire 2 scientists. GF probably too, maybe work farm rather than the mine. Cowcamp possibly change mine for farm too and 2-pop whip that cat. StoneHill might do some 2-pop whips from size 8 to 6.

I think now is time to aggressively chop for more units. 1 worker to improve GoldDeer, 1 to build roads 1SE and possibly 2S1E of GF.

I vote poly-mono after currency if you get that far. Good luck with the remainder!

10 axes, 2 spears, 2 cats (presumably some northern defenders). Chop, whip, kill.

Currency is in. Met Elizagawa the founder of Buddhism and the Mahabodhi. We have the axes, spears and cats ready to roll. Toku moved part of his army to Osaka. I thought it better to stop here then proceed with the attack. Also, cash is low as I started working the deer in DeerGold and not the mine.

Toku's forces in spoiler:

Spoiler :

Cities:
Spoiler :

Here is your Session Turn Log from 475 BC to 300 BC:

Spoiler :
Turn 99, 400 BC: Hatsegawa adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 100, 375 BC: The borders of DeerGold have expanded!
Turn 100, 375 BC: Mausoleum of Maussollos has been built in a far away land!

Turn 101, 350 BC: Cowcamp can hurry Axeman for 1⇴ with 6ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 17 turns.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Tokugawa has no worst enemy.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Hammuragawa has no worst enemy.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Shakagawa has no worst enemy.
Turn 101, 350 BC: You are the worst enemy of Elizagawa.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Stone Hill.
Turn 101, 350 BC: Cowcamp will grow to size 3 on the next turn.
Turn 101, 350 BC: You have discovered Currency!
Turn 101, 350 BC: Atisha (Great Prophet) has been born in a far away land!
Turn 101, 350 BC: Leone Alberti (Great Spy) has been born in a far away land!

Turn 102, 325 BC: Cowcamp has grown to size 3.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Elizagawa has 5 gold per turn available for trade.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 30 ℤ for Stone Hill.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Golden Fleece will grow to size 6 on the next turn.
Turn 102, 325 BC: Islam has been founded in a distant land!
Turn 102, 325 BC: Narak (Great Prophet) has been born in a far away land!
Turn 102, 325 BC: The Hanging Gardens has been built in a far away land!

Turn 103, 300 BC: Golden Fleece has grown to size 6.
Turn 103, 300 BC: Golden Fleece can hurry Axeman for 1⇴ with 27ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 103, 300 BC: MarbleHill can hurry Axeman for 1⇴ with 29ℤ overflow and +1⇤ for 10 turns.
Turn 103, 300 BC: Hatsegawa has 50 gold available for trade.
Turn 103, 300 BC: You are the worst enemy of Tokugawa, Hammuragawa, Shakagawa

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/saves/civ4sgotm15/Maple_Sporks_SG015_BC0300_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

Good job on assembling the SoD, Norvin! Indeed it seems we're ready to roll.

Did sturick solve his computer woes during the weekend and is he available to knock some heads? If not, I'd be up, in that case I would likely play Thursday (I'm away for Easter from Fri-Mon).

What would the war plan be? I guess most natural would be to first get Osaka and then head straight to Toku's castle-defended capital. IIRC we calculated it to be located 4S2E of Osaka. Hence if we position the SoD 1SW of Osaka, all units that are not needed to capture Osaka (assuming that's a significant amount) can go straight SE towards his capital, we'll likely need at least 1 turn to knock down city defenses there anyway. I haven't seen the save yet, but from the screenshots it seems we have some units on the road to GF, they might be directed to Satsuma if we have room for that, or otherwise just join the main SoD.

That was Theology (if Philo had been researched, Taoism would have been founded).

I'd suggest getting back our scientist and pray that we are in time for the AP. Get some forests prechopped, so that we can finish the AP asap when Theology is in.

That was Theology (if Philo had been researched, Taoism would have been founded).

I'd suggest getting back our scientist and pray that we are in time for the AP. Get some forests prechopped, so that we can finish the AP asap when Theology is in.
Good catch. Nervous times have started and that's not in reference to the imminent attack. Maybe direct the overflow in StoneHill to a library and hire scientists here too. Probably nearly all cities should be building wealth (after their current builds if they finish soon) so as to get to theology asap.

I think we need cats more than axes.

I'm not sure if bombarding is better than straight suicide cat attack, each turn of bombardment is likely to be another defender in Kyoto.

We're in danger of a strike as soon as units move out of our borders and we have to pay maintenance on them, maybe Golden Hind needs to work the gold next turn.

edit: with all the AIs liking each other so much AP victory may be avoided by all of them abstaining when it comes to victory vote, on the other hand the chance of us being dogpiled can't be much higher than 99%.

Another edit: It also occured to me that we can avoid AP defeat by razing every buddhist city and replacing it with a nice hindu city of our own (missionaries and settlers would help).

I think we need cats more than axes.

I'm not sure if bombarding is better than straight suicide cat attack, each turn of bombardment is likely to be another defender in Kyoto.

Another edit: It also occured to me that we can avoid AP defeat by razing every buddhist city and replacing it with a nice hindu city of our own (missionaries and settlers would help).

Agree with first comments. More cats and we should suicide them mostly. Especially with the numbers seen in Norvin's screen shot.

Disagree with the additional edit. Good idea but no razing per the game settings sadly.

Good job on assembling the SoD, Norvin! Indeed it seems we're ready to roll.

Did sturick solve his computer woes during the weekend and is he available to knock some heads? If not, I'd be up, in that case I would likely play Thursday (I'm away for Easter from Fri-Mon).

I'm still working on the computer issues and I will have company for the upcoming Easter weekend. So nocho should go ahead and play next. Seems like a pretty important set that I feel underprepared for.

I can say with confidence that if I will have my computer fixed by the weekend after Easter. That is assuming my replacement hard drive isn't delayed in the mail.

Agree with first comments. More axes and we should suicide them mostly. Especially with the numbers seen in Norvin's screen shot.

Disagree with the additional edit. Good idea but no razing per the game settings sadly.

You mean more cats, not axes, right?

How's your comp? Can you play? (xpost...)

More cats...yes that is what I meant...facepalm! It is fixed now.

And my comp is likely in need of another hard drive. Annoying but what can you do. Ordering a replacement this afternoon.

Just saw the save.

I'm really tempted to go library now in Stone Hill, invest two turns and 1-pop whip it, hiring 2 scientists immediately. Point is, that way we'll pop next great person in Stone Hill, with a reasonable chance of popping a GE. Lemme see, right now 116 GPP of GE, in 2 turns 124. After that (2+6)*2=16 GPPpt, so 5 turns later we have a 144/204=70% chance of a GE to rush AP. I think that's definitely worth trying our luck. Besides, scientists obviously contribute to the theo-race.

I'm inclined to declare next turn. Some more cats would be nice ofc, but I think we have enough to start operations. I'd 1-pop whip the axe in GF to have an extra unit and direct that overflow to cat for some backup (EDIT: no, better work mine instead of farm to finish it naturally next turn). Position one axe this turn to capture that worker at Satsuma next turn and move in with 8 cats, 11 axes and 2 spears. Osaka should be easily ours and I think we'll have enough thrust to move on towards Kyoto. See how it goes, but 2 suicidal cats on Osaka may be enough to clear that city, then we still have 6 cats to move to Kyoto. I do think we might want to bombard Kyoto, but depends on city defenses. Anyway, a turn of bombarding allows for backup units to move in.

My idea would be:
SH - Library, wealth
GF - Axe, cat, cat (or wealth + 2 scientists?)
MH - Axe (configure to get in 1 turn) - wealth
PS - Axe, market (?) or wealth
CC - Axe, cat*. Current garrison axe will join the party.
DG - Switch to libray

Workers: prechop in SH. Finish deer, get a road connection to DG. Mine hill near CC. Some more chopwork around MH and PS. Chop hammers accumulate while building wealth, so with some chops, a temporary switch to a cat might finish it in 1 turn. Wealth is very important though to get to theology asap.

Tech poly-mono-theo.

I agree with the Lib + Scientists in SH. I was thinking about it myself, but didn't have the time to run the maths.

Agree with the plan as well (but IMHO we do need to bombard Kyoto, at least for one turn).

Top Bottom