Request for advice on which computer to buy

samiratou

Chieftain
Hi all,
Our current computer doesn't run Civ5, but it's starting to die so it looks like we might have to go for a new one sooner rather than later, so we're trying to figure out which budget computer would be the best option. Here are the 3 I'm looking at:

Asus A53SV-NH51
-Intel i5 2430M(2.40GHz)
-6GB RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1GB
-$600

Lenovo Z750
-Intel® Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz
-8GB memory
-Intel HD 3000 graphics
-$700

Dell Inspiron 15R
-Intel® Core™ i5-2430M 2.4GHz
-6GB memory
-Intel HD 3000 graphics
-$500

<insert standard disclaimer that I know laptops suck for gaming, for just a couple hundred bucks more..., etc. etc. but we're aiming for multi-use at this point and are hoping to save for something better in the meantime. :)>

Thanks!!

I see you already know the answer :D: They suck.

If it has to be one of them, then #1, because the graphics card is NOT Intel (don't buy anything with Intel graphics cards for gaming, never). As far as i can see, the 540M of #1 should meet directly the minimum requirements (at least according to this chart). So don't expect much fun, but the game should at least run.

As far as i can see, the 540M of #1 should meet directly the minimum requirements (at least according to this chart). So don't expect much fun, but the game should at least run.

Fortunately this chart is extremely misleading for the purposes of Civ5 suitability. The GeForce 525M and upwards will do just fine :)

That chart would have been useful for older games ;)

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" ranking for videocards. The technology used in games and cards is changing too fast for that :(

The Geforce 7000/8000/9000/100 and some of the 200 series cards perform exceptionally bad in Civ5 compared to other games. So if you find a 400/500 series card sorted into the same tier on such a ranking, it means it will work much better than a card of nominally similar performance.

And I fear you will have to keep doing your job here, I've effectively defected to Skyrim :D

Thanks for the thoughts!

I ended up upgrading slightly, and going with <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215198">this one</a>.

Got it yesterday, and so far so good. :)

You can really trust nobody anymore, not even that chart :cry:.
I think i'll just let you and timtofly give any hardware advice here and will stay out of that bussiness :mischief:.

I was always curious why a laptop "chart" was used for desktops. Having said that, even the latest cards are having "bugs" yet to be worked out. It is also not easy to tell what every ones "patient" quota is either. I am quite happy with my 5 year old laptop and even though it is slowww it works for me. So technically I am not an expert either for those who want the PERFECT machine. :rolleyes:

I do read and study, and try to help out the best I can.

Top Bottom