Official Civilization V Steamworks FAQ

just one more thing to go wrong is all steam is...is there anyway to disable Steam so that once u have used it to get your game registered you don't ever have to see its ugly menus and looping update screens ever again. Inevitebly this peice of garbage causes problems for all users. All I want is a phone number to be able to talk to someone down at Steam Headquarters. Anybody from steam on here??? got balls enough to give me a direct line to one of the helpers there? Surely a reputable company such as steam is not afraid to have people call them direct?? Are they??

Does anyone have a clue as to how I might be able to actually get my game to launch after the DLC date? I purchased Babylon also which I am now regretting.

I have verified my cache files.

I have changed my download region multiple times.

I have changed to offline mode, only to be told that the game will not launch offline.

I have attempted to download other games in my library, all without a hitch so I can indeed connect to the servers.

I have attempted to launch from CIV.exe with Steam shutdown.

Yet nothing works, I am effectively locked out of my own game because the "servers are currently too busy to handle your request, try again in a few minutes."

Been trying again in a few minutes for over 24 hours now.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I might be able to actually get my game to launch after the DLC date? I purchased Babylon also which I am now regretting.

I have verified my cache files.

I have changed my download region multiple times.

I have changed to offline mode, only to be told that the game will not launch offline.

I have attempted to download other games in my library, all without a hitch so I can indeed connect to the servers.

I have attempted to launch from CIV.exe with Steam shutdown.

Yet nothing works, I am effectively locked out of my own game because the "servers are currently too busy to handle your request, try again in a few minutes."

Been trying again in a few minutes for over 24 hours now.

First close Steam, then locate C:/Program Files/Steam and delete the file named ClientRegistry.blob (or just rename it ClientRegistryOLD.blob). Re-start Steam and it will download a little update and that may fix your problem.

First close Steam, then locate C:/Program Files/Steam and delete the file named ClientRegistry.blob (or just rename it ClientRegistryOLD.blob). Re-start Steam and it will download a little update and that may fix your problem.

Tried it, no dice. :(

I also tried deleting the .ncf files as per this support page but to no avail. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

Servers are still too busy to let me play.

Never had such issues with a game before.

And you're able to play your other Steam games? Very odd. Have you put in a support ticket? I'd get that started ASAP because it's so slow. If you get it resolved on your own before it comes up you can always close it yourself.

I've spent the better part of 3-months trying to ge tmy game working on one of the computers following a 'root drive' crash. I had to replace the operating sytem hard drive and re-install (complete virgin install) of the operating system. In fact, I had to upgrade to the 'full-version' of Windows 7 Professional. I was using Windows XP Professional. I could not re-install the Widows XP because the CD was damaged. I could noto find another Widows XP installation CD, so I forked out $300+ for the full Windows 7. All programs I had needed to be re-installed and that was easy to do, as I had all the CD's/DVD's for each program (including Civ5). Only Civ5 would not re-install. Thanks to STEAM. And the STAM help group is USELESS!!.

We've all played hundreds of games over the intenet, or our own home LAN networks, long before STEAM became involve. We nee to be rid of STEAM ASAP!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What do I need to copy from the Steam folders as a backup for my account information?

I'm currently at the end of month 1 of a 6 month holiday, in Greece atm, and Steam periodically looses the details somehow thereby requiring an internet connection. Which I don't have. And it is expensive to keep paying to effectively reactive my damn game. I really don't want to have to put up with this rubbish for months.

And you're able to play your other Steam games? Very odd. Have you put in a support ticket? I'd get that started ASAP because it's so slow. If you get it resolved on your own before it comes up you can always close it yourself.

So glad my computer isn't fancy enough to run Civ 5 - I remember having fits trying to install Civ 4, but at least once I figured it out, I could do it again when necessary! Slow support through Steam, wonderful! How unexpected!

Not sure if this counts as a steamworks question-

I've been having some issues with the game freezing up since the October patch (I think it's a result of using DX10/11, which took me way too long to figure out, but I'm still not 100% sure), but the first thing I do when I have issues with a steam game is verify cache and Civ5 always has to reacquire one file.

Anyone know what/why that is?

Not sure if this counts as a steamworks question-

I've been having some issues with the game freezing up since the October patch (I think it's a result of using DX10/11, which took me way too long to figure out, but I'm still not 100% sure), but the first thing I do when I have issues with a steam game is verify cache and Civ5 always has to reacquire one file.

Anyone know what/why that is?

Tried deleting and then reinstalling the whole game? I think that should work, no idea if there's another fix.

Tried deleting and then reinstalling the whole game? I think that should work, no idea if there's another fix.

Did than today. Now the Steam Icon has a shield on it and the steam background is red?

What's with this?

Also the game will not start.

Before it would start and then freeze the whole pc. Is this progress:confused:

No I have no idea what is going on but it sounds like you made it worse :/

Indeed I have no idea why there would be a shield on the Steam icon because there isn't one.. are you running a windows account with Admin privileges or is another program interfering?

So Steam gets installed from a boxed copy. Nice service for those who don't have it installed yet.
A question on that: when steam is installed from a boxed copy, will it invite the installer to create a Steam user account in order to activate the game? I mean somewhere during the installation process of the game. I'm asking because I'd like to know how easy/hard it will be to activate my game.

I installed CIV 5 on my desktop the day it came out (some time last september in PAris). I created my steam account etc and played for a while.
I bought a new laptop (thanks Santa :D) and wanted to install CIV 5 on it. I put the CD in and started to install, I actually created a new Steam account, and to continue the installation I was asked for a product code that I was supposed to find in the CD box, the usedguide). I found nothing. I than realized that I was limited to one Steam account. So I connected to steam on my laptop with my usual steam account, and that's where steam proposed to download CIV 5 and install it on my laptop. Now that is very good, the only problem is that CIV 5 files are about 5 GB, I started the download last night, and this morning I was still at just 1.5GB and steam was too "crowded" so IO was asked to continue later !!
So my questions are:

1. is there a way to skip the download part and install form the CD (since I have it)?
2. is there a way for me to refind my product code. I now kind of think that the product code was in the small sheet that contained minimum requirment and I think I threw it thinkong that nothing important was in it (it 's not like it is a user guide). I still have the CD, the box and the wall paper with the tech tree, the civics, etc, and my Steam account obviously. I may even still have a bank proof of my purchase (I did it using a Credit card).

:) Help

was gifted Civ 5 by another civ fanatic. I have a question though, my Civ 5 Steam version doesn't seem to animate the leader screen, shouldn't it do that? Perhaps this is a hardware or RAM issue?

was gifted Civ 5 by another civ fanatic. I have a question though, my Civ 5 Steam version doesn't seem to animate the leader screen, shouldn't it do that? Perhaps this is a hardware or RAM issue?

I am not sure which DirectX version you use, but I have not heard any one say that 9 will do the animated leaders. You have to have 10 or 11. 9 is required to run the game. 10 and 11 are the recommended ones to "enjoy" the game.

The leaders were certainly animated when I played the demo in DX9... and this wouldn't have anything to do with Steam.

I installed CIV 5 on my desktop the day it came out (some time last september in PAris). I created my steam account etc and played for a while.
I bought a new laptop (thanks Santa :D) and wanted to install CIV 5 on it. I put the CD in and started to install, I actually created a new Steam account, and to continue the installation I was asked for a product code that I was supposed to find in the CD box, the usedguide). I found nothing. I than realized that I was limited to one Steam account. So I connected to steam on my laptop with my usual steam account, and that's where steam proposed to download CIV 5 and install it on my laptop. Now that is very good, the only problem is that CIV 5 files are about 5 GB, I started the download last night, and this morning I was still at just 1.5GB and steam was too "crowded" so IO was asked to continue later !!
So my questions are:

1. is there a way to skip the download part and install form the CD (since I have it)?
2. is there a way for me to refind my product code. I now kind of think that the product code was in the small sheet that contained minimum requirment and I think I threw it thinkong that nothing important was in it (it 's not like it is a user guide). I still have the CD, the box and the wall paper with the tech tree, the civics, etc, and my Steam account obviously. I may even still have a bank proof of my purchase (I did it using a Credit card).

:) Help

You can use the DVDs to reinstall the game, sometimes it does bug and starts downloading the whole thing instead but you just have to stop it and delete local files (right click on Civ5 in Steam) then try again until it installs from the DVD.

I don't know if you can access your serial key through Steam for Civ5 or another Steamworks game (non-steamworks games on Steam often have it there though, as you need to enter it before playing multiplayer). However you don't need it as it cannot be used again as the game is permanently tied to your Steam account.

Top Bottom