Favorite Religious civ to play as besides Celts?

Favorite religious civ, excluding Celts

• Ethiopia

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Spain

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Mayans

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Shoshone

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Byzantium

Votes: 11 25.0%

• Total voters
If you have a pantheon you can pick religious ruins. Easy way to a religion if you can find ruins.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Ethiopia, as their UB is their one redeeming quality, and by far the best UB.
Can someone explain to me how the Shoshone are considered a "religious" civ? :confused:

Pathfinders can easily farm ancient ruins in such a way that lets you fast-track getting a pantheon, and even a religion.

If the Celts were on the poll, I might have voted for them. I do great founding early religions with them.....as long as I don't develop the forests around me......I really
like to though. I like to make lumber mills or trading posts on forest-flat-ground tiles, but mines or manufactories on hills.

Why should it feel odd? The whole point of this is to see which religious civs people like besides the celts, as the celts are obviously the superior choice when founding a religion.

Obviously superior? even without being prompted by Celts as an option, johncnunn, princeofnigeria and myself have all said they wouldn't take Celts first for a religious civ, just from the first page of responses. Also, the rest of the pollers take your conditions as axiomatic and therefore do not implicitly confirm or deny their preference for the Celts over the other options, so it seems difficult to claim the Celts as 'obviously the superior choice' from polling remarks so far. To claim it independently from this opinion is even more dubious.

If you have a problem with it then make your own poll. Its the OPs decision to exclude the Celts from the list as he wants to discuss only the ones listed, there's no need to get mad over this.

Maybe he just played is last 4 Marathon games with the Celts so he doesnt want them anymore...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Obviously superior? even without being prompted by Celts as an option, johncnunn, princeofnigeria and myself have all said they wouldn't take Celts first for a religious civ, just from the first page of responses. Also, the rest of the pollers take your conditions as axiomatic and therefore do not implicitly confirm or deny their preference for the Celts over the other options, so it seems difficult to claim the Celts as 'obviously the superior choice' from polling remarks so far. To claim it independently from this opinion is even more dubious.

I didn't say that I preferred Celts, just that they have a superior faith gaining UA. There is almost no way to beat them to a pantheon if you don't include ruins, and getting a faith pantheon is 80% the reason I get to a religion. That's why I said superior, now did we really have to get so worked up about that?

Eh, Arabian UA does very little, and I don't see how morroco is special in any way.

Desert bias = desert folklore = You'll get a religion.

Arabia's UA helps with spreading religion directly, Morocco's UA means more places will trade with you, meaning your religion will pressure those cities.

Desert bias = desert folklore = You'll get a religion.

Arabia's UA helps with spreading religion directly, Morocco's UA means more places will trade with you, meaning your religion will pressure those cities.

I wouldn't consider that a religious orientated civ. Neither of them actually get guaranteed boosts towards founding a religion, and you could literally get a desert roll with any civ, and even so you still have to get a pantheon, which there are no boosts to either.

Maya for sure on deity, they are easy mode... If somehow you failed to get a pantheon before a religion is enhanced with pyramid, once you reach theology if religion is still available you can just pick prophet as your great person (or pick GE and hammer down Hagia Sophia this way you can pick the free prophet later when the cost of prophets start to get high)

Only Mayans have a guaranteed great prophet (two if you use GE for Hagia Sophia); the rest of the so-called religious civs only at best have a guaranteed pantheon.

They really aren't, but I think that view is manly due to their pathfinders.

After turn 20, an ancient ruin can yield enough faith to found a pantheon (how much faith you actually get depends on how many pantheon have been founded) and after you have a pantheon a ruin will yield faith equal to 30% of the amount of your next Great Prophet tier (e.g., 60 faith for the 200-faith GP). Since a pathfinder can pick its ruin benefit, the Shoshone are essentially assured of getting a pantheon and/or getting a nice boost to founding or enhancing their religion.

The Shoshone's other UA, getting additional tiles when founding a city, can also help, since it makes it more likely that they will be able to work more tiles with a useful pantheon yield (e.g., if the Shoshone are able to get Goddess of Festivals (faith and culture from wine and incense tiles), they may be able to work more wine tiles more quickly than a similarly situated civ could).

Only annoying thing with Ethiopia is to me it seems like the UA and UB work against each other.

The Stele like the Mayan Pyramid is something you want to ideally build several of but then if you build more cities then your neighbors your UA is nullified.

I do like Byzantium as the extra belief can let you make some interesting strategies but yes it is problematic trying to get an early religion.

My advice, tithes is always a good founder and seems rarely picked by the AI.
Enhancer beliefs require a 2nd great prophet but with Byzantium your the only Civ that can get Itinerant Preachers AND Religious Texts!
If you are playing Piety and have good faith generation Messiah is a perfect match with 'For the glory of God'. Settle heaps of Holy Sites around the Capital, take the Freedom policy that boosts Great Improvements and the benefits are awesome.

My current game is madness. Pacal with mosques and pagodas, +4 faith from natural wonders and 4/5 of them acquired so far, plus an AI founded a religion with desert folklore and monasteries and spread it me.

How much faith per turn can I get? I got the purchase any great person reformation to eventually spend it all on, I need moar and moar cities.

Spain's great, it turns the game into a heavily objective-based one. I like the focus it instils.

Top Bottom