Unit Maintance

_ViKinG_

BERSERKER
Im playing a long game and i see that unit maintance cost every round, even when im not buying units. is that right? my army gets smaller, i dont want to take new citys right now to get more gold. Is there any mod that can fix this?

Maintenance is something you pay for your units every turn as an upkeep cost. The fewer units you have the less you will have to pay. This is intended and to mod it away would break the game tbh.

Get more gold by keeping trade maxed-out (Caravans and Cargo Ships are you friend!) and Markets/Mints/Banks/Stock Exchanges as time goes on to keep your economy strong. If you do not have Brave New World, trade routes are not part of the game and you'll need to get gold from working coast/river tiles and luxury resources, along with the financial buildings.

I do not believe any mods have removed unit maintenance but I might be wrong.

As others have stated, unit maintenance is charged every turn, whether you are putting those units to good use or not. In addition to boosting revenue, you can consider disbanding units that you don't expect to need for the foreseeable future, including extra workers (can always be rebought for 310 gold when needed) or military units with no promotions (or few promotions). You will get a small amount of gold for scrapping the units and your maintenance will be lower.

Note that each civilian and military unit costs the same amount of maintenance, so there is no maintenance-cost reason to delay upgrading military units to more modern units.

The actual mechanic behind that is called inflation. Didn't find a mod that removes it (at least not as a standalone-mod), but you can change it within the game files. If you have bnw, go to...

Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\GameInfo

...create a backup of Civ5gamespeeds.xml and open it with a text editor. Scroll down to the game speed you're playing at and set inflation to 0. Save the file, load the game, done.

can anyone link the maintenance formula again? IIRC it was an exponential growth, wasn't it?

Top Bottom