Civ 5: Echoes of Ages

i'll disable the othet terrain mod than and see how that goes. how do i look for overlap?

You just look at feature lists, you should know what each mod you are activating does because there's probably a reason why you wanted to download the improvements mod. So when you look at mine and see improvments you can't have two of the same.

Mostly if you want to see if your mod will be compatible just have to read what it has in it and see if you are already running something similar. My mod is a big mod that makes changes all over the place so it'll probably have more overlap then others. :)

Is the v.12 file named correctly? I download it, but have no way to open it.

Nice mod, well thought out.

I'm worried you're adding too much happiness. Yes, you reduced luxuries by 1 each, but you're adding a possible +5 in every city with

+2 Harvest Festival
+1 Theatre
+2 Stadium

as well as another +4 / +3 with Racing Carnival and Police Station where possible. That's an awful lot of extra happiness. And you've also made the Courthouse considerably cheaper, making it easier to remove the occupation unhappiness. Seems like a rather large net swing toward extra happiness.

Nice mod, well thought out.

I'm worried you're adding too much happiness. Yes, you reduced luxuries by 1 each, but you're adding a possible +5 in every city with

+2 Harvest Festival
+1 Theatre
+2 Stadium

as well as another +4 / +3 with Racing Carnival and Police Station where possible. That's an awful lot of extra happiness. And you've also made the Courthouse considerably cheaper, making it easier to remove the occupation unhappiness. Seems like a rather large net swing toward extra happiness.

Yes I have thought about that and I am thinking of tweaking it a bit, however I also have added extra food buildings so I am trying to account for extra citizens you'll also probably have in my game over the normal game.

More food from Granaries, Rivers, Aqueducts, Hospitals, Medical Centers which will now provide more food. Increase town sizes is one thing I wanted to do increase the games productivity instead of just a raw number adjustment on building/unit costs.

On average there is probably 4 more citizens per town in my mod from extra food.

With happiness I am trying to keep a 1 gold maint to 1 happiness ratio. So building massive amounts of happiness buildings can cause trouble if you've got too much you'll have less money for other buildings/units. Harvest Festival is the only one which is cheaper and thats because I didn't want to stunt the start of the game.

I would like more feedback from people on this however. I am thinking of removing 3 happiness per town over all in the future. One of my testers does have +80 happiness in one of her games but she also has picked up every available happiness wonder and policy, and when you've got all those it makes sense you'd be swimming in it. I've got to run a test game where I pick up none and see if I can still manage, if I can then I'd say it's probably balanced.

I am reviewing early game ship balance in next version as pre frigates can't even scratch a city and probably redesigning the coast friendly buildings.

I am also thinking of adding in religion in some form as buildings.

Such as build the capital building of your religion a national wonder which thenopens up other buildings to be built in every city. Opinions?

Ships pre-frigate shouldn't be able to damage cities, IMO. Naval bombardment really wasn't much of a viable tactic until significantly powerful cannon were mounted on ships.

I like the idea of introducing religion, I'm curious to see your ideas on implementing it. But I'd strongly recommend making it a totally separate mod.

Such as build the capital building of your religion a national wonder which thenopens up other buildings to be built in every city. Opinions?
if you do that that the AI won't know how to do it and never get any religion.

also i dont know if it's your mod or something else but when i play this mod game starts out nice and fast but as soon as i get around the 200-300 turn mark it slows down to a crawl 30-50 seconds per turn even with my setup!!

amd phenom II 965
gtx 295
4gb ddr3 ram
win 7 6x
corsair h70 cooler

if you do that that the AI won't know how to do it and never get any religion.

also i dont know if it's your mod or something else but when i play this mod game starts out nice and fast but as soon as i get around the 200-300 turn mark it slows down to a crawl 30-50 seconds per turn even with my setup!!

amd phenom II 965
gtx 295
4gb ddr3 ram
win 7 6x
corsair h70 cooler

Except I could try and put the flavor on them really high so the AI chases after it making it hard for the player. :)

Anywho, On large and huge games turn times can take a while with or without mods. I have a huge game I'm running now with no mods and takes 1 min a turn.

Ships pre-frigate shouldn't be able to damage cities, IMO. Naval bombardment really wasn't much of a viable tactic until significantly powerful cannon were mounted on ships.

I like the idea of introducing religion, I'm curious to see your ideas on implementing it. But I'd strongly recommend making it a totally separate mod.

Ship strength was buffed slightly, caravel and trieme you might get 1point of dmg if your lucky on a lightly defended town, but since there's now naval barracks that brings the biggest buffs to them through their promotions.

Echo of Ages: Release 13

Changes:
Slightly Adjusted Police Station
Slightly Reduced Happiness Late Game
Happiness Removed from Capital Upgrade Buildings
Publicani Tax Office now National Tax Office(removed roman name)
Airport Added(25% Air Production; +15XP Air)
Social Engineering Tech now Social Empathy tech(so it fits in description panel)
Markets no longer give money from whales
Stock Exchange now gives money from whales
BugFix: Air fighters now get 50% penalty as reported when attacking land.
They were suffering 75% penalty. Now Fixed.

BugFix: Air Fighters civilopedia said they suffer a 50% penalty to ground attacks. However they were getting a 75% penalty. Now they suffer the proper 50% penalty as reported.

But how do you know the civilopedia was right, and the promotion was wrong? It seems to me more likely the promotion was changed and the documentation was left unchanged. Thus this seems more like a balance tweak (which I don't have a problem with).

I did think of that but the only reason I stumbled onto it is because I was going to reduce it to 25% thinking it was 50%, as my fighter planes were getting smashed by musketmen which was pissing me off. Should be able to use a fighter for more then just intercept. So seeing it was wrong I changed it to the 50% off it said in the documentation instead of the 25% I was going to put it up. I'll see how it goes.

Hi there,
I downloaded your newest version of your mod (never tested before), to see how it goes.
I started game as England on Small Continents map (big mistake! I supposed somewhat other map layout then i got) and got not so stellar start/map.
I play it on prince, but vanilla is not much problem for me to defeat emperor, immortal I didn't try.

So I went with my usual style and that is ICS to test things. I played really poorly since I lost my initial scouting warrior and it delayed my start by at least 10 turns. Then I made some more mistakes with tech orders because usually I try to get after meritocracy asap to renessaince era, lately through acoustics, but this time i got first longbowmen.
I did some warrior worker stealing at start from greece then horse rush.

Some screens:

After settling 5th city I got dowed by 2 AIs out of nowhere...(I know I know...)
situation at 1k BC

Spoiler :

At that time I had no army, luckily enough AIs didnt have too. I slowly built some horses and after both AIs came begging for peace i just took it and immediately went after Alex before he grows too big and even then he settled just before my nose nice city with luxury! After some fighting here is the situation:

Spoiler :

Well now that i had 4 horses you can bet what will follow... that brings us to turn 147, me finally getting acoustics (could have get it much much sooner!) and I can take freedom.
Here I stopped.
some motivation screens

Spoiler :

I will add save too, if you want to check the things. Basically I have everywhere the happy building from agri (forgot name, sorry) and library. Some mints and markets.
I built only 1 colosseum until now!

I don't know what is the intention of your mod and if I could be much better on the way with fewer cities and proper buildings, but this is how it went.
I definitely am not some superman in civ and made a lot of mistakes, but i feel that the early happiness building is too much. With meritocracy you can literaly have as many cities as you want and luxuries bring you pure population.
But I really liked it ;-) made the starting ICS a bit easier then usually.

Plan from on here is pretty easy, get banking -> forbidden palace.
Actually it's not clear from screenshots, but one of the problems of this map is I didn't get maritime CS (not sure if you actually took them away or not :)), if i would have 1-2 available, then next thing would be to take some.

edit:
ah and i prepare massive wave of settlers for the formerly owned mongolia land to the east, I razed there city already and plan there 3-4 cities if there will be room.

Hi there,
I downloaded your newest version of your mod (never tested before), to see how it goes.
I started game as England on Small Continents map (big mistake! I supposed somewhat other map layout then i got) and got not so stellar start/map.
I play it on prince, but vanilla is not much problem for me to defeat emperor, immortal I didn't try.

So I went with my usual style and that is ICS to test things. I played really poorly since I lost my initial scouting warrior and it delayed my start by at least 10 turns. Then I made some more mistakes with tech orders because usually I try to get after meritocracy asap to renessaince era, lately through acoustics, but this time i got first longbowmen.

Some screens:

After settling 5th city I got dowed by 2 AIs out of nowhere...(I know I know...)
situation at 1k BC

At that time I had no army, luckily enough AIs didnt have too. I slowly built some horses and after both AIs came begging for peace i just took it and immediately went after Alex before he grows too big and even then he settled just before my nose nice city with luxury! After some fighting here is the situation:

Well now that i had 4 horses you can bet what will follow... that brings us to turn 147, me finally getting acoustics (could have get it much much sooner!) and I can take freedom.
Here I stopped.
some motivation screens

I will add save too, if you want to check the things. Basically I have everywhere the happy building from agri (forgot name, sorry) and library. Some mints and markets.

I don't know what is the intention of your mod and if I could be much better on the way with fewer cities and proper buildings, but this is how it went.
I definitely am not some superman in civ and made a lot of mistakes, but i feel that the early happiness building is too much. With meritocracy you can literaly have as many cities as you want and luxuries bring you pure population.

Actually it's not clear from screenshots, but one of the problems of this map is I didn't get maritime CS (not sure if you actually took them away or not :)), if i would have 1-2 available, then next thing would be to take some.

edit:
ah and i prepare massive wave of settlers for the formerly owned mongolia land to the east, I razed there city already and plan there 3-4 cities if there will be room.

I havn't done anything to Maritimes yet, I need to look at it properly.

Anyway it's true you do have lots of cities, but their all pretty low on population.
The harvest Festival is there to mostly let you still get some happiness even if you don't get any luxury resorces. Thats all :) Which yes will make expanding a bit easier.

The goal of the mod is to reward the player who builds buildings. Almost everything you can build will be very useful to some degree. So a civilization that just has a small amount of cities can keep up with someone like you who has conquered quite a bit.

Just balances the combat to building need in the game as most (alot) of players seem to be rushing in combat so redily all the time :)

If you now focus on building up you should see that you'll start to shoot ahead on tech, population and construction speed.

There is more happiness in this mod :) Definately. But there is also more food in my mod so you need more happiness to compensate that.

Whats most important is I want people to have fun playing my mod, I know me and my main testers seem to. :) Also any feedback is always welcome, your post was super detailed and I thank you. :)

Hi there,

Some screens:

situation at 1k BC

Here I stopped.
some motivation screens

Alrightie I took a look at your save :) You have alot of trading posts, which is still a viable tactic. My mod does add a few options however. Less bonuses from market places will give less money trade posts, trade posts now only give 1 gold at the start of the game and grow with time.

Mines and Lumbermills have also been buffed by 1 production, and farms on rivers are also buffed to give 1 extra food. Combine that with a few happiness buildings an aqueduct and that boost population alot. :)

Top Bottom