City placement discussion

Entilzha

Chieftain
I just like to show you guys early pictures of my games and discuss where you would place your cities. I always learn something from those discussions. So here's another interesting map I just started.

First of all some information:
Diffculty is King. I went with Tradition. I didn't manage to grab Desert Folklore, so looking at the lay of the land, I grabbed Sun God (+1 food from Citrus, Banana and Wheat) for my pantheon. The civ I'm playing is Octoski's Midwest, which benefits from flat grassland and plain tiles. I don't see their capital yet, but Venice is somewhere to the south of me, so I can be fairly certain I'm not in a big rush for settling down there. I haven't decided on a route to victory yet, just that it won't be domination because I've done that the last two games.

Obviously, my first expo will be to grab Lake Victoria, that one's a no-brainer. I was thinking about settling next to the bend in the river nearby and buying the one tile to claim it.

I'm almost sure I want my third city on the northwest coast, between the deer and the citrus. That will allow me to claim both the wine and the sugar in the area, two luxuries I don't have anywhere else nearby. It will also give me access to the sea.

For the fourth city, I'm considering two possible spots in the south:
One is next to the mountain in the east (probably on the jungle tile south of it); pro would be the mountain, the horses and lots of food available. Cons are being relatively close to the capital and no fresh water
The other is down on the flood plains next to the river; pros are fresh water, silver nearby, and lots of food from the wheat; cons are no mountain and the terrain is not useful to my civ.
It's only King difficulty and Venice won't contest the area, so I might grab both at some point, but not anytime soon.

I'm curious where other people would place their cities and what you think about my choices, so discuss away!

Attachments

• 20160422222447_1.jpg
    20160422222447_1.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 20160422222458_1.jpg
    20160422222458_1.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 149
My spots would be:
In the north:
Between the barb encampment and the citrus.
In the south:
One tile east of the horses on the coast.
One tile south west of the mountain near vatican city.
On the southern floodplains, probably on the hill (plenty of silver) or a bit south if you manage to find some other resources too.

The first city should be top priority of course (lest Sweden beat you to it). Then one of the two cities immediately south of you (preferably the one near Vatican City so that you can grab the Old Faithful), then the southernmost city, and then the one remaining city. You could also settle one city northwest of you capital later on, on the small peninsula above the sugar, but I don't think that's necessary considering you took tradition.

I'd also suggest exploring a bit more to the south (in case you see a land grabbing liberty AI near the floodplains). You did get some nice land though :D

Top Bottom