Excel planner

This is a project in development. Ill reupload a new version every now and then.
Sheet 1 simply tells you the culture cost of policies.
Sheet 2 tells you the total needed beakers to reach a certain tech.
Sheet 3 when it is finished, will allow you to enter when you expect to build science improvements as well as science enhancing cultural policies and your projected future city sizes. It will then tell you the beakers per turn and cumulative beakers your empire will produce.

If anyone has fixes to existing sheets or suggestions for new functionality, please let me know. Also feel free to make your own edits. The sheets are protected without password.
Known issues are mentioned on the sheet, no need to mention those any more.

I made it in open office and saved as xls for excel. The ods file is the same thing for open office. Hopefully someone can tell me if it looks and functions well in excel. Unfortunately i had to zip the files because this silly forum does not accept xls and ods files.

I think it should be obvious how to use the sheets. If you dont understand after 5 minutes of experimentation, let me know what needs clarification.
Blue fields are editable.

Attachments

• Civ Planner.zip
    110.8 KB · Views: 93
Awesome job! This will work a lot better then the guesswork I've been using up to this point! :D

Am I correct seeing your notes that the sheet does not yet adjust for map size and is designed for "standard" worlds? And what is this "optics" and "compass" adjustment you speak of? In any case, project looks great so far!

Awesome job! This will work a lot better then the guesswork I've been using up to this point!

Thanx !

Am I correct seeing your notes that the sheet does not yet adjust for map size and is designed for "standard" worlds?

yes, you can if you want to use it for a different size change the "tier cost" field at the top of each tier. It'll be one of the first things ill change when i feel like playing with excel again.

And what is this "optics" and "compass" adjustment you speak of? In any case, project looks great so far!

They are so far i have seen the only 2 techs that do not have the same cost as other techs on the same tier. On the whole thing it isnt very big. I could easilly change it to their real value, but i wanted to see if there is any math behind it so i can make it change consistently with different map sizes when i incorporate that.

oh I got it. cool, well thanks for this tool. I think I can better estimate the base effect of my wide choices with this game ahead of time and it'll cut down on the amount of experimentation I do for sure! Sorry if I seemed uncivil on the other thread, a lot of people were accusing me of cheating when I only chose the world size and map type so I felt a little defensive. I do plan on my next wide-fast-science game being on standard just to see how it performs. I think I can easily win over Deity AI which was all I wanted to demonstrate but the question now is "how fast" and I am curious.

I really do respect your playstyle and think you're very good at SV. If you care to comment some advice on my super-wide fast-science thread I'm actually looking for advice from competitive fast-science players as I don't feel I know all the tips and tricks I need to demonstrate my idea. I'm quite new to the speed-racing side of civ. I briefly sketched up my idea for an optimal game and wrote up my choices in the a spoiler to the OP. If you have time I'd love your comments!

Thanks, sorry for my bad wording too.

I am not that much a veteran yet in civ5. Im actually mostly a theorycrafter. Everytime i decide to compete in a new a GOTM, i first spend several days googling all the info i can find on the specific victory condition and ask questions on the forum before i start playing and then play very slowly, using those excel tools and finding more information as i need it. I have very little knowledge from experience and usually only get a competitive result the second time i play a certain victory condition.

Therefore i dont think i am the best to help you unless i would go sit for it and spend the hours needed to decide how exactly im going to handle the specific map and situation. If you have a look at GOTMs, you can see how a bunch of different players with more experience handle things. You dont even have to join the competition of the month, you can simply look back at older GOTMs, download a map that suits the game you want to play and then see how others did it.

A GOTM would probably be a good setting for practice. I may play the next SV one and see if it has the room for my strategy. I will no doubt be slower then tradition players but it'd be interesting to see by how much.

EDIT: actually the last poland one looks interesting. #126 pangaea and Deity. Sounds promising! I have not seen more then the screenshot but poland is quite strong for science and wide given the extra policies which help with rate. I think I'm gonna try to play it blind and see how time compares and how many cities I manage and whether I manage a religion. :)

#128 ;)
Ill be interested to see what you make of that.
I missed out on that one but i have read all the posts already.
It does look like the right map for this.

#128 ;)
Ill be interested to see what you make of that.
I missed out on that one but i have read all the posts already.
It does look like the right map for this.

You're right, it's 128. But now you are making me paranoid lol! There's probably two warmongers nearby isn't there? ;)

I'm trying to plan out and rework my strategy to best take advantage of the Poland and liberty. The Ducal stables and UA already support wide pretty well. That extra early policy is also a big game-changer.

Last game with Celts I struggled to get my borders to grow at a rate that matched my rapid city growth across the empire (this was even with Pagodas to help) so I may actually take the Tradition opener for +3 capital culture and faster border growth quite early. Debating gambling for a religion even though Poland has no natural advantage. It's risky on Deity but rewarded more with a wide empire. On standard it's almost random how quick the religions are founded. I could get lucky and there be no Ethiopia and Celts it might turn out great. Regardless, I find you can get useful beliefs that are not as popular with the AI like tithes, +2 happiness from temples, religious community, etc even founding last or second to last. My general rule is to try for it for the possibility but to not go out of my way significantly so it sets me back if I fail.

Anyway I'm gonna think on it a few more days before starting like you. Even though it's experimental I want to abide by the no reloading rule so I'll need to open this perfectly...

I don't know if I thanked you yet for making me aware of GOTM but the challenges look real fun and I plan to join some of them in the future! So thanks for the link! :)

im sure that the Tech cost of Compas is wrong
it is cheaper then the other techs in that line

Alright, finally got around to starting that Deity Poland game that was GOTM 128.
I read the rules and they are normally things I try to do anyway. No rerolling or anything. My one flaw is I usually rush a bit so I'm worried I'll make mistakes and get a sub-par time but we'll see how it goes.

This turned out to be a pretty great liberty start. Happened to go south with warrior and discovered El Dorado for 500 early gold. Cash-bought early settler to quick-settle Mt. Kailish for the early faith. Could not find my closest neighbor for a long time (went wrong way I guess) so no worker-stealing which is my usual habit. :(

Picked as my pantheon sacred waters so I could spread out quicker with lower base-settling costs. Got religion with Pagodas and after enhancing I'll probably pick Religious community as every other source of happiness will no doubt be gone. My neighbor picked pagodas so this looks to be a great game with early growth potential and extra happiness sources. Only main problem was terrible production and growth in capital. If it weren't for the liberty hammer and a 3rd tile horse I would've struggled to produce settlers. As it was they still took 8 turns which is pretty terrible for liberty and it was all I could do to get to 4 pop before the settler tenet. It was that bad. Any normal liberty game I'd be 6-7 pop by settlers, scoring Pyramids, and 4-5 turns settlers. This game Pyramids went turn 34! I've never seen that happen! bye bye fast settlers :(

Around turn 70 I wasn't paying enough attention though and I let an austrian settler slip through. She stole a spot I thought no one had explored but I must have not noticed a scout. Shame, I had the whales monopoly at this point. Now my 7th city settler has no place to go! Major mistake there! I am looking all around but no other sites are good for settling that don't put me in the line of fire with Celts which are on a definite warpath. I've seen no scouts from her so I keep denying embassies. ;)

It's composite rush time and I have a few, seriously considering DOWing Austria just to take that annoying city, I could definitely do it and her army is not big. In fact if I fully mobilized (and I got the economy) I could roll over her closest city too to complete my 8 without any more settlers. The only issue is up to this point she's been very friendly and we even have a current DOF with each other and sweden. If I break off the friendship and DOW I will probably lose all my friends in the world. Alternatively I can let her have that city until things go south later, but it still leaves the question of where does my darn 7th settler go! I built it and there are no valid settlement spots lol. None that aren't too far away to protect and right next to Celts at least :p

What a quandary! If it was any other game I'd probably just take Austria on, but the win condition specified was speed science and I know I can't do it without losing a couple dozen turns off my finish time. Wish I'd noticed her settler, blocked it, and then I could've been happy, safe, with friends, at a 7-city empire and just applied my wide fast-growth science strategy. ;) As it is, it would probably be best to stick with my 6-city empire and roll with it. I got 2 mountain cities and 4 jungle cities so my science will be very good, but I can't really apply my fastest liberty science strategy with only a 6-city empire. I wanted 7-8.

What do you guys think I should do next? I'm finished tonight.

EDIT: moved thread to here so I don't clutter yours, follow if you are curious, the starting hammers are tough, this'll be interesting!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=566459

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 10.13.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 10.13.26 PM.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 10.45.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 10.45.06 PM.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.04.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.04.43 AM.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom