civ 4 or civ 5 and where to buy

brown040613

Chieftain
Ok which is better civ 4 or 5. I have played 4 before and loved it but have never played 5. Buying new computer tomorrow and like start playing so where is best place to buy the game.

Steam is a good place to buy either one. I like both but haven't played 4 in years. I think that I like 5 better but I still have pretty fond memories about some crazy stuff that happened in 4. I should go back and play a game.

4 is better if you want a history game.

5 is better if you want a... a game.

Buy both if possible, 4 is better for single player role playing type games, 5 is better for multiplayer games or challenges in single player. And for combat, and actual smoothly operating mechanics. Whereas 4 is better for historicity; IE, monarchies were for a long period of time the most effective manner of rule because of technological constraints. However it makes a better game when there are tons of builds and variation by civ

I assume i would want the complete edition of civ 5. It's 50 on steam but only 20 on amazon but was hoping to start playing today. I did see1 site selling code for 15 after u download thru steam

I assume i would want the complete edition of civ 5. It's 50 on steam but only 20 on amazon but was hoping to start playing today. I did see1 site selling code for 15 after u download thru steam

You actually have to play Civ5 through Steam, so you might as well buy it there.

I'll join the chorus of forum members who say that the complete Civ5 is a more enjoyable game overall than Civ4.

Go for civ 5 BNW (brave new world expansion) its hell of addicting and there is so much going on all the time a game never gets booring. Civ 5 vanilla is crap. Civ 4 is also very good especially beyond the sword but my experience is it takes way more time to master and has alot more micro but its probably more rewarding than civ 5 when you do.

Yes, you can. The site you buy from should give you a Steam key for what you buy.

Civ 5, but stay away from BNW. It kills a very good game. I went back to civ 5 vanilla and enjoy the game much more.

Civ 5, but stay away from BNW. It kills a very good game. I went back to civ 5 vanilla and enjoy the game much more.

Wholeheartedly disagree, vanilla was much worse than Civ 4 BTS, Gods and Kings was about on par, and Brave New World elevates the game beyond any Civ title to date.

In my opinion religion adds nothing to the game other than irritating prophets and missionairies. Ideologies is a very good idea, but is not worked out very well. BNW is annoyingly peacefull. The AI hardly ever declareres war. Ticking away turn after turn untill a rocket takes of for the moon.

Well I went with civilization 5 complete edition. Just waiting on delivery of code for dream to get started.

In my opinion religion adds nothing to the game other than irritating prophets and missionairies. Ideologies is a very good idea, but is not worked out very well. BNW is annoyingly peacefull. The AI hardly ever declareres war. Ticking away turn after turn untill a rocket takes of for the moon.

Sounds like time to up the difficulty then

I have no idea what ur you are talking about. Religion adds entire new strategies with its many,many different and very powerful bonuses and its own social policy tree. Ideologies are very fun, balanced, and gives options to win in different ways and almost every game I build my 4th city on immortal 2-3 ais declares war at the same time. Never before have there been so much going on each turn as in BNW.

Honestly, at this point given the price I'd say buy both and see which experience you like better.

Civ5 has developed some mechanics, such as religion and the culture victory system, that are clearly more interesting than and superior to their equivalents in Civ4.

Where Civ5 falls down relative to its predecessor is the level of challenge. There are fewer interesting tradeoffs. In Civ5 you never have to wrestle with the choice of when it is the right time to switch from Slavery to Caste System because it's all about choosing which bonus you want next. And 1UPT has taken the AI far past its level of competence. You will never experience the same kind of tension in a Civ5 game as you do upon seeing a massive stack heading for your border in Civ4.

I really think they're both worthy games, and it boils down to your own preferences.

Very good points from duckstab about combat - Civ 5 AI just can't cope with the 1UPT and you can pick their units off one by one as they approach your cities. The stack of doom was always a big worry but made combat so much fun (in my opinion).

I love both games for different reasons and Civ 5 is the one I play the most but I've recently downloaded Civ 4 from Steam again and I intend to take a nostalgia trip by loading it up and relearning the mechanics!!

If chaka comes storming in i worry! Never mind the stack of doom. 1upt is also a challenge for human players. If you want to take a strong city a human player needs good planning aswell. The best thing about civ 5 is 1upt.

Top Bottom