Is Civ Rev too Easy?

Is the game too easy?

• Yes

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 55.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like it. Too hard = long games/frustrating games.

Also 'difficulty' in the PC games implies massive AI advantages that required miniscule and precise micromanagement to overcome.

That is not what CivRev is about. There are difficultly levels to provide a range of challenge, but it's not meant to replicate the PC civ games.

I really think this should be the gold standard for difficulty. I know a lot of the hardcore PC crowd will disagree, but when difficulty is about AI advantages that are insane and ridiculous (try Sid on Civ3) it becomes all about exploiting things the AI can't do or won't do to get ahead.

And to be quite honest I did not miss worker management. Not have to move workers has been the best thing to happen in Civ.

Civ Rev is too simplified!
the tech tree is a joke. no resources to fight over, etc. yawn*.*

I really think this should be the gold standard for difficulty. I know a lot of the hardcore PC crowd will disagree, but when difficulty is about AI advantages that are insane and ridiculous (try Sid on Civ3) it becomes all about exploiting things the AI can't do or won't do to get ahead.

I have to say I disagree.

I was never one when playing civ2 or civ4 (never played civ3). .to sit there and crunch numbers for figuring out optimal numbers of beakers or anything like that. I was never so hardcore that I would get into civ games for 10+ hours. My games typically lasted 4-8 hours, depending on map size, and I would eventually let some things be automated just to speed up the game.

That said, I find Civ Rev to be too easy. I like alot of the streamlining they've done that's eliminated some of the tedious aspects, but I think in the process they made the game too easy. The AI's are predictable (war, war and more war) and easy to counter, even on deity.

The streamlining is what is expected for console games, so they should have spent more time with the AI to balance it out. The lack of customization for units and things only amounts to be a problem because the AI doesn't know how to fight an interesting battle. You can keep them warlike, but their only strategy is to march soldiers right into the meatgrinder.

That said, I find Civ Rev to be too easy. I like alot of the streamlining they've done that's eliminated some of the tedious aspects, but I think in the process they made the game too easy. The AI's are predictable (war, war and more war) and easy to counter, even on deity.

This makes no sense. Less tediium = too easy? Possibly because there's less micromanagement hell for the human calculators to exploit.

And the AI always have issues with warring, no matter the version. In the PC versions on higher difficulty, it's all about quantity and the human's ability to defend insane odds and then bring the war to the AI.

This game is kind of like that too. It's not hard to get all 4 AI to declare war on you.

I really still don't see a good argument that says this game is really too easy, other than its a streamlined Civ, which is IMHO a very good thing for the franchise.

I really still don't see a good argument that says this game is really too easy, other than its a streamlined Civ, which is IMHO a very good thing for the franchise.

I think the problem with the game is that the range of difficulty levels is too narrow. Chieftain seems to be great for players new to strategy games, and I don't think anyone is arguing that Chieftain is too easy. The problem is that the higher difficulty levels are too easy. Emperor and Deity doesn't provide a challenge for most experienced players.

I don't see the problem in including one difficulty level where everything is stacked against the player for those who enjoys that kind of game. The rest can still play on the other difficulty levels and new players can still get into the game.

Obviously the best solution would be to have a good AI in the game. But since that's not likely to happen the next best solution in my opinion is to give the AI advantages.

Top Bottom