Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

As for your question, the handheld (DS/iPhone) version of CivRev was built on the same engine as the main console versions, so gameplay is nearly identical. There are a few minor differences. No civilopedia on the handhelds, you can't disband units, etc. It's exactly the same game, though.
Been looking on line at the review and descriptions of the DS version ... and I have to admit that I am surprised and disappointed at how primitive the graphics look. I'd swear I was looking at the old original "Lords of the Realm".

Now I don't espect a handheld to match a console, but I would expect Firaxis to utilize the full capacity of the handheld device.

Here is CivRev as advertised ... the big console versions: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/strategy/sidmeierscivilizationrevolution/images/0/2/
I am fine with that.

Here is an image from CivRev for DS: http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy...olution/images/0/?tag=related_galleries;img;1
Boy, that strategy screen in the bottom is primitive! How good should it have been?

Here is an image from Age of Empries Mythology for DS http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/ageofempiresmythologies/images/0/?tag=related_galleries;img;1
It would appear that the DS is capable of much better than the rendering in CivRev DS

Even the effort for IPhone/IPod shows better effort: http://www.gamespot.com/iphone/adventure/civilizationrevolution/images/0/2/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;2

So is the DS version of Rev really rendered as primitively as these images show? If so, I am surprised that Firaxis is not embarrased to put out such a weak graphics effort.

dV

What is the effect of a river on a terrain's assets/resource output? I seem to recall noticing in a few games that sometimes a plains tile will have an extra food output, and it seems to happen next to rivers. Am I remembering incorrectly? Maybe I was the Russians or something, but I thought I would ask.

also, a Grassland adjacent to a river recieves 3 Food Intake, rather than only two

hi, well im new playing civ games, the first i play was civ 2 on psx, and now im playing civ revolution on my ds, but i have a question about creating units, when i select a city and began creating a unit, like a warrior, the citie contiune creating warriors indefinetely, how can i stop the preoduction of units?,

hi, well im new playing civ games, the first i play was civ 2 on psx, and now im playing civ revolution on my ds, but i have a question about creating units, when i select a city and began creating a unit, like a warrior, the citie contiune creating warriors indefinetely, how can i stop the preoduction of units?,
If you mean stop producing things altogether, I don't think there's a way to do that other than ignoring the "what will you build next?" request every turn, or you could customize the city focus (the option at the bottom right on the touchscreen) and take workers off of spaces with hammers. If you want to have it produce something else, then just select it off of the "Build Unit" or "Build Building" screen.

If you mean stop producing things altogether, I don't think there's a way to do that other than ignoring the "what will you build next?" request every turn, or you could customize the city focus (the option at the bottom right on the touchscreen) and take workers off of spaces with hammers. If you want to have it produce something else, then just select it off of the "Build Unit" or "Build Building" screen.

I think the point was whether there is a way to get the game to tell you "the warrior is done in "City", what should we spend hammers on now?"

When you complete a building, since you can't build two of it, the game asks you the question. Same with research. But for units, it can just assume you want infinite amounts of the same unit, and never ask.

So if there is no game option for "alert at completion of unit build" (or similar language), then the next question is how to manage that with your game style. You either have to survey every city each turn (I do that in Civ IV, but I thought the idea on the consoles was to streamline?), or you need a way to recognize when a city has completed a unit build.

If you fortify units in a city, then the only time the unit cycle will get you to a lone unit in a city is if it moved there on its way to somewhere else (and thus you don't fortify it), or you just built it. If the unit cycle takes you to an army in a city, that is not a fresh build, obviously. So you can limit the cities you have to check for infininte unit spam to those where the unit cycle shows a single unit in a city.

A related question ... so you look at that city and it says "legion completes in two turns" ... how do you know if any hammers are already invested? Or, (unlike Civ IV where the hammers become irreversibly invested in that unit turn by turn), will any invested hammers be transferred to a new build selection, making the issue moot?

dV

thanks both of you, i have another trouble, hou can i build habitats for the spaceship?
i can only build propulsor, fuel, and life support, but i cannot find the way to build the habitat part???

1.These have probably been answered, but how long is anarchy? I thought it was one turn, but sometimes it seems like two.
2.How much culture do you get for your palace on Deity? In the beginning of one game I thought it was +2, but later it felt like that increased
3. Does +50% caravan gold work with the new patch, cause I felt like I was getting the same amount of gold from my caravans when playing as the Arabs

1. Anarchy lasts one turn unless you don't pick a new government on your next turn or something.

2. Palace culture is equal to the total population of your empire but capped at 5. You also sometimes get temporary bonuses (we love the king day). So if you have one city at 31 population, you get 5 palace culture. If you have 31 cities at one population, you get 5 palace culture. You get 0 palace culture while in Democracy. This is true for all difficulty levels as well as online play. If you're playing the Arabs, you'll notice you have a little extra culture. That's because you get the first to Religion bonus of +1 culture per city.

3. +50% caravan gold is only for caravans you build, not those you find. It's a pretty useless bonus, IMO.

Actually, there is a way to suspend production. Set your city to produce science or gold and it will automatically set production to zero hammers. I will repeat what I said on another thread. I think that if you are reaching a point where you want nothing from your cities, you are "playing with your food." The AI is as tasty as it is lame. Eat up and start a new game.*

* I assume that this only comes up in SP. In an on-line game you would have to be one heck of a player to get so powerful that you could tell your cities to stop producing!

Actually, there is a way to suspend production. Set your city to produce science or gold and it will automatically set production to zero hammers. I will repeat what I said on another thread. I think that if you are reaching a point where you want nothing from your cities, you are "playing with your food." The AI is as tasty as it is lame. Eat up and start a new game.*

* I assume that this only comes up in SP. In an on-line game you would have to be one heck of a player to get so powerful that you could tell your cities to stop producing!

Note that the no production setting is modern age only. It was added in patch 1.3 because before that it was indeed a pain to get pop-ups from cities that literally have nothing to build.

Agreed, if you have nothing to build you're playing with your food, but this is a game, so there's nothing really wrong with that. However, there's a difference between having nothing at all to build (except more units you don't need, I guess) and having nothing you need to build. For example, if you're going for a fast econ victory, it can be advisable to have cities with markets or banks and defensive units only. Maybe add a courthouse if there's a great resource to reach, but you don't really need anything else in most cities so at that point the all gold setting is a good idea. Not only does it stop production pop-ups, but you actually make extra gold.

Depending on the resources available for a particular city, when seeking an economic victory it might be faster to build Caravan, join them into "Trains" and sell them. If you have more production resources then trade resources Caravans might be more profitable.

Oh so barb-hut caravans give the same amount of gold. Well then, I've never actually built a caravan and rarely see the need to (some more units would be much more beneficial)

I agree in every case except econ victory and then only if you are trying to get it on the earliest possible date.

I'll find out soon (cause I think I'm gonna buy the game), but is there a world map download for civ rev. Or is there a map creator/editor?

I did just find an earth map available for an add on from the ps3 store. I'm much more jacked for the game now.

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I must admit that I am addicted to Civ 4....
I hope this forum gives me some answers to the many questions I have regarding the game and I hope I can help some of you out by sharing what I know......

What are the pros and cons of opening borders early in the game???????

Top Bottom