A warning for 360 Owners

Random Fires

Chieftain
I used to play CivRev quite a bit, some may remember me from the GOTW leaderboards.

Simply put, CivRev will wear down, and will eventually kill your 360 DVD Drive.

My primary 360 died, and given the amount of games I play, I didn't think much of it, though I had suspected the constant loading of the Advisor/Leader animations was wearing the drive down... "suspected"
With that 360 out for repair, I used a secondary 360 which my wife uses for arcade games. It too started to wear down, and in a matter of 2 weeks died. And when I say "died" I mean dead, the drive itself no longer moved. It wasn't the usual non-reading error, but actually seized. (as identical as the 360 before it)

Months ago, shortly after the release of the game here in North America I had commented about the noises and wear during the loading of advisor and leader animations on the 2K site. It went ignored, and dismissed, much like many of the initial issues. When the second 360 died, again I mentioned this problem only to be dismissed again.
Doubt me? Before an advisor or leader animation comes up, listen to your unit and then press A... (Note: I've killed alot of 360's, only one(new) suffered a RROD, the other 13-14 were all drive related. I play a great deal, and accept the turn over, but some games are more "wear specific", CivRev is one of them)

Take this warning for what you will. There is a distinct reason why Microsoft is now willing to adopt Disc to Harddrive writing within the new "dash overhaul".
CivRev is not the only game that is hard on drives, but certainly is the biggest offender I've encountered so far. I'm not saying "get rid of it", just maybe, wait till the new dash. Those racing to get to the top of the leaderboards may encounter this reward of drive death before the casual player does. Consider it food for thought if your 360 dies, or is starting to sound wounded. Good luck, and good gaming.

Woah, wait, it'll kill my drive? What if I'm bored on certain days and play a lot on the game, or what if I play it casually? I don't want to get another new 360.
Does it disrupt the memory? If it doesn't, then I guess I could switch into a new 360.
So, how long till the new dash thing? I play casually but sometimes I'll go for a while non-stop playing of it when I'm bored.
When is the dash thing coming? Is it only available thru Xbox Live? My connection with my 360 hasn't been made yet, so I've been disconnected for a long time.
So.... Does this make me screwed?

When is the dash thing coming? Is it only available thru Xbox Live? My connection with my 360 hasn't been made yet, so I've been disconnected for a long time.
So.... Does this make me screwed?
No.
All indications seem to point to November, for live users.
The big dash overhaul will be available to non live enabled users via disc. From my understanding, in order to reach non-live consoles, the update will be available on disc, or packed in newer games released at the time, and after.

I think if your that casual, you should be fine on the drive front. But if your a leaderboard climber/leader, or simply the hardcore, this should give reason to pause.

Wow, you've killed 15 or more 360s?!? That's amazing. I've only killed 4 (via RROD), but maybe I'm a casual gamer.

It is actually hilarious how short-lasting 360s are. This complete dvd drive death happened to my second one, the first one died of the red ring. And I even play way less 360 than PS3.

I have never wrecked a 360. My COD4 disc is not very circular to overuse and it does no damage. However, one of my friends is on his 3rd 360.

No.
All indications seem to point to November, for live users.
The big dash overhaul will be available to non live enabled users via disc. From my understanding, in order to reach non-live consoles, the update will be available on disc, or packed in newer games released at the time, and after.

I think if your that casual, you should be fine on the drive front. But if your a leaderboard climber/leader, or simply the hardcore, this should give reason to pause.

I don't have live, but if I did I'd be kind of both, I'm casual, but on some days I feel like playing all day.

Dammit... Should I pause or not?

I had my 360 for two years and it ran fine. Then I got Civ Rev this summer and it got slower and then I got the RROD while playing Rev. Coincidence maybe. It is the fault of the 360 though, you can't blame software for poor hardware.
MS took a 1bn writedown on the RROD repair costs. Let's hope my repaired 360 holds up for the coming onslaught I plan to put on it!

You've gone through 15 360's? Jesus Christ man, that's insane. How many hours a day do you play the 360?

Wow. I've had my 360 for years and it works just fine.

I've got the PS3 version of Civ Rev though. ;)

If I get the RROD, I'll be done with the system. I'm not about to keep buying units. :)

I don't have live, but if I did I'd be kind of both, I'm casual, but on some days I feel like playing all day.

Dammit... Should I pause or not?

What you mean you don't have live? You are on the internet now. All you need is a silver account.

Do you mean you have no internet at your home, or not hooked up to the xbox or you only on the internet by phone and no cable or dsl?

What you mean you don't have live? You are on the internet now. All you need is a silver account.

Do you mean you have no internet at your home, or not hooked up to the xbox or you only on the internet by phone and no cable or dsl?

We haven't hooked up xbox live.

no longer a problem with the new dashboard as you're able to save civ rev to the hard drive and run it from there. Everything feels smoother and runs faster and quieter.

no longer a problem with the new dashboard as you're able to save civ rev to the hard drive and run it from there. Everything feels smoother and runs faster and quieter.

Yeah! I have yet to encounter any hitches with the HD install.

We haven't hooked up xbox live.

If you 360 is hooked up to the internet you have live. Remember everyone has silver witch gets us to the market place to rent movies, download stuff, and you download free demos as well.

Saying you hooked up xbox live I don't understand. All you have to do is but your cable that you use to the internet to your 360 and volia, you have live. Not much to hook up unless you don't have highspeed internet, then I can undertand.

All yoiu have to do is make an account an that's it.

My current concern is that XBLA doesn't do anything hinky with me regarding the Gold Membership. I got it free for a month when I got my XBOX 360 Pro...but I don't want or need it. I'm solely a solo player so I find no use for all of it's matchmaking MP cripity crap. Why I'm a bit paranoid is that since I do use marketplace my credit card info is in the system and ALTHOUGH THEY CLAIM I'm not currently set for auto renewal I can't say that I trust them especially since I don't see anyway with my account to merely CANCEL the Gold Membership. My only options seem to be how to designate how I'm going to pay for it (which still, thankfully remains unset) but nowhere can I clearly check "Please terminate once the free trial ends".

I am on silver. I used the free month they give you. I never had to give my credit card at all. I go to EB games to get xbox points to buy anything of xbox live market place.

I would never give them my credit card.

Top Bottom