Science and Technology Quiz 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have it in fact.

EDIT: Book I am looking for is an abstract algebra & factorisation one which has some number theory in it.

EDIT: Does that mean I got the last question right :lol: j/k

i agree with Mexico... damn we were just talking about it last week in science class... i think one is gallopavo?

What are the historical origin(s) of the graduate school / postgraduate school (correct term being continent-dependent)?

Bonus: what acronym is synonymous with "piled higher and deeper"?

I believe so but he didn't publish it (which was common for Fermat).

He sad he had proved it and challenged others to do the same ;)

It's difficult to search for links about it because his other claim tends to dominate the results.

That's an interesting question, GoodGame... i know the answer to the bonus, but I have no ideas for the real one - I hope you post the answer if nobody gets it!

I believe so but he didn't publish it (which was common for Fermat).

He sad he had proved it and challenged others to do the same ;)

It's difficult to search for links about it because his other claim tends to dominate the results.

Yeah, but given his most famous claim, I'm a little sceptical about how much actual proving he'd done when he claimed but didn't publish proofs.

I think Fermat's Last Theorem is different to his others because it wasn't published until after his death. (His son published a version of Arithmetica with his annotations).

I think he had proofs for most of his claims but used to challenge others to be as inventive as he was in finding a proof ;)

He was certainly a good mathematician, he and Descartes founded probability theory and his Little Theorem and 2-squares theorem (which was one of my earlier questions in this thread) are important in number theory.

What are the historical origin(s) of the graduate school / postgraduate school (correct term being continent-dependent)?

Bonus: what acronym is synonymous with "piled higher and deeper"?

The silence was deafening. No one answered and it's almost 72 hours so

:bump: OPEN FLOOR :bump:

Answer:
Spoiler :
There were earlier academies (mostly medical arts or studies to make one a beauracrat) that led the way to a university system, but the first doctoral program can be traced back to the 9th C. Islamic medieval Madrasah system, specifically the ijazat attadris wa 'l-ifta' ("license to teach and issue legal opinions"). It involved the equivalent of a bachelor's degree and an extended course of many years.

About the same time, the University of Constantinople, considered the first university, had some similiar programs, including in law, so either would be decent answers. Later medieval European universities would consolidate the traditional triivium and quadrivium studies of the ancient world (basically amounting to 7 hot topics, e.g. rhetoric, astronomy, language, philosophy, etc..) that made up the undergraduate degree, from which a student could go on to a specialized graduate degree in law, medicine, or theology (sometimes philosophy, but usually theology as most universities were run by the church).

This thread makes my head spin. I'm glad I chose history as my field of expertise! But do go on, it's most entertaining to read through all this.

.. and feel like a clueless kid once again.

How can you convert AC to DC using nothing but 4 diodes and some wires?
(diagram would be nice)

As a bonus: How can you then smooth out this current so that its a straight line rather than just the mod of a sine wave?

Diodebridge:

The smoothing happens with a condensator.

The trivium and quadrivium were an invention of the mediaeval world. The ancient world studied the paideia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom