Mayan Mayhem: A Huge Deity Histographic

760 continued-I've checked with some of my citizens, and they've only told me that they feel unhappy, because of overcrowding (and some "oppression" in some spots). So, I guess I don't have any war weariness from Babylon, I just don't have any war happiness anymore. I had started mining tiles a few turns back in some spots. Even with maximum corruption, you can get a 2nd shield in some cities:

I have 4406 tiles under my control at the end of this turn.

770 AD-Hittites and Russia sign a peace treaty. The Byzantines and Babylon sign a trade embargo against me! Gah! At the beginning of this turn I have 4410 tiles under my control, and a score of 12,503. I get the Hittites to declare war on me, but I forgot to gift them their prison first! That might not matter though. From Babylon I take control of Adab and Telloh. I then make peace with Babylon, picking up some 482 gold in the deal, but no gpt. From the Hittites, I take control of Malayta, which has two rifles and a spear as its defense. I also take control of Kadesh which gives me an incense source. I also take control of Hattusha and Emar.

I have 4473 tiles at the end of this turn, 46 tiles under the domination limit with a few more coming via a cultural pop.

780 AD-I have 4483 tiles under my control at the start of this turn, and a score of 12,867. I spawn two more MGLs. From the Hittites I take control of Adana, Hubishna, Karatepe, and Tarsus. I also flat our raze Ugarit, as it has too many units on mountains near it. I've decided I'll sit 16 tiles under the domination limit this turn (I have no cultural expansions coming this turn, though I do the next), instead of trying to chance something closer to it. I've also started throwing native settlers into cities on the Greek/Babylonian island to keep unit support down, and as I can now tell I have more than enough settlers sitting around. I have 549 workers.

Addendum: If you look through the other Huge histographic games at all levels, you can see that anything over 4400 tiles comes as high. So, for anyone doing this I recommend that you try and play with a map with 4500 tiles. Why? That way you can have a large tile buffer... heck even a 100 tile buffer when building temples/libraries and waiting on cultural expansions, and you'll still feel like you're getting a good score from the tiles you have. Once you have all cultural expansions taken care of, sell off *all* culture (don't worry about research) THEN sit very, very close to the domination limit via founding cities with settlers. Double-check that you won't trip the domination limit after founding new cities. Also, you might want to put that culture in as soon as you can, so you can sit close to the domination limit longer without fear of accidently tripping it.

Not much more at present, I only got in some time to use some of my workers this evening. My knight army has had a special job for a while as the Hittites have had units here for a while now, and since I've now had an interturn with the Hittites, I can confirm that the idea works:

I'll actually sit 22 tiles under the domination limit this turn, as I refounded a city in a better spot. From the captures this turn, it finally looks like I won't have to disband cities to avoid the "too many cities" bug. That said, I will have to abandon cities upon founding cities in better locations to avoid going over the domination limit. I have 474 cities. Kuningas peaked at 455 here, while Moonsinger never got that high in either of her games.

Wow!

Impressive, with how much accuracy you managed to do that. :)

To your domination tile arguing: I think, it's like with money. You always think: "Had I only some more, so I could have a buffer" and then, having more, you're moving to a more expansive flat ... :D. With 4600 you'd also always want to use the space efficiently instead of having a buffer.

Wow!

Impressive, with how much accuracy you managed to do that. :)

I don't know what you mean here. Do you mean getting that close to the domination limit? I don't think that hard (once you have the rails and settlers for this). You just check the victory status screen when it says 66% and disband a city until it drops to 65%. Or alternatively, when founding each city you save the game and check MapStat on that save to see how close you lie to the domination limit.

I have some core cities that I don't plan to keep around, such as my Forbidden Palace city 009 (hopefully I get another MGL here soon), and 005 which I have as my ToE prebuild :

But since I want to get to RP faster, I've decided not to start stripping their population. 001 also needs refounded somewhere else, since it could reach 1000 culture eventually, which would mean it would grab a tundra square by itself. Note also the explorer in progress, as I plan to put out some of these from my core now to speed up/cheapen production of structures elsewhere.

790 AD-I forgot about a Hittite cavalry at 1/4, and it ends up razing Malayta, a keeper city. I have a score of 13,226 at the beginning of this turn with 4484 tiles under my control. The Hittites have landed on one of my islands:

The Babylonians had left some units on an old Korean island:

So, I can try and get Hammurabi to declare on me via the old outrageous demands (the Babylonians somehow jumped from some 400 gold last turn to some 800 this turn, even though they only have 1 tundra city), and then telling them to "leave or declare". I also do check my happiness in a city before trying this to see if I'll get war happiness from them, if this works. Babylon complies with the ultimatum, so I don't get any war happiness from them.

I don't know what you mean here. Do you mean getting that close to the domination limit? I don't think that hard (once you have the rails and settlers for this). You just check the victory status screen when it says 66% and disband a city until it drops to 65%. Or alternatively, when founding each city you save the game and check MapStat on that save to see how close you lie to the domination limit.

Oh, it's not about that. I'm talking about grabbing the most possible tiles, cycle through cities to get Horse-Cavs built, ... things like that.

790 AD From the Hittites I take control of Ivriz, Tyrana, Aleppo, and I flat raze Hattusas. I can tell I no longer have war happiness coming from the Hittites.

800 AD-Score up to 13,588. From the Hittites I take control of Kanesh, Harran, and Karhuyuk.

810 AD-I finally learn Electricity. Score up to 13,950. I start Scientific Method, which I can get in 6 turns at 100%. I have 459 shields in the box of my pre-build:

So, I should complete Theory of Evolution the turn I learn Scientific Method. Attacking a warrior I get this:

I raze Alaca Huyuk, as it has some rifles on a mountain nearby. I take control of Ankuwa, and Rusguniae which requires a single army. I haven't made this deal (if I will), and I don't understand this:

they probably receive money from someone else in a deal.

t_x

Yes, it's almost surely the Hittites when I think about it. Should I take that deal, since the AI can't give me more money than they can afford according to the HoF rulebook? I mean, I can clearly tell that it will result in a significant amount of gpt coming from nowhere at some point, unless Babylon declares war on me.

810 AD continued-I actually manage to get my prebuild down to 5 turns. I also stop using tax collectors and entertainers, and only use scientists, so Scientific Method drops down to as few turns as I like really. So, I'll learn it in 5 turns. I've started disbanding my rifles.

820 AD-Score up to 14,306. The Byzantines get their prison, and I declare on them landing several armies near one of their cities. I had wanted to land next to Naissus:

But, instead I have several landing spots getting units in wherever I can:

Kummani I don't plan on taking from the Hittites until I have them in their prison:

830 AD-Score up to 14,662. The Byzantines attacked my armies 2 or 3 times in the interturn via the patrol function. I take control of New Hamadan, Zouchis, Samuha, and New Carthage from the Hittites. I can't manage to extort New Persepolis from them. From the Byzantines I take control of Nicomedia, Septum, Constantinople, and Varna. I also raze Trebizond. Fortunately, I now have a landing spot next to Naissus:

840 AD-Score up 15,015. From the Hittities I take control of New Persepolis. After killing one of their caravels, I then make peace with the Hittites. From the Byzantines I take control of Naissus, Nicaea, and Caesarea. I raze Smyrna flat. Babylon no longer has any gpt available.

this fortified spear pattern looks strange to me. this is not what the AIs would usually do, or did you encounter that before? any idea what causes this?
t_x

this fortified spear pattern looks strange to me. this is not what the AIs would usually do, or did you encounter that before? any idea what causes this?
t_x

Not really. They have a trade embargo against me, and I think furious attitude towards me.

furious attitude? George Clooney would ask: What else? :)

t_x

840 AD continued-I end up leaving things on the Byzantine island like this:

I hope that Theodora sends her units (she doesn't have any horsemen) towards Nicaea, which I plan on disbanding next turn anyway, instead of south towards Septum.

850 AD-So here's the same area at the start of my 850 AD turn:

Just as I wanted :). Score up to 15,368. I can finish off Scientific Method now purely with scientists. I raze Amorium, which reconnects my trade route to the Byzantinian island. I also raze Heraclea, and Sardica. By the end of the attack phase on the Byzantines that area looks something like this (with a rather easy to spot mistake):

860 AD- Should I wait until I have Genetics and use that thin on the Cure for Cancer?

I use "what's the big picture" to swap my pre-build to the Theory of Evolution and complete it taking Replaceable Parts and Sanitation as my free techs. I miss switching one courthouse pre-build to a hospital, which actually completes as a courthouse. Score up to 15,717. I start research on Industrialization, which I never obtained from the Greeks when they still existed. I'll only use scientists to research, mostly from temporary cities for a while. I had taken note of the time needed for some of my workers clearing jungle and marsh last turn, and fortunately the multiplying effect of Replaceable Parts does apply already working towards a job.

It feels strange to say, but some cities will get hospitals before marketplaces. Chalcedon's borders have expanded:

So, I need to put a city there, which I'll put at the 8-9-9 spot from North Nicomedia, to move my armies and cannons around. I have 120 captured (many upgraded) cannons underneath the army at the 3-3-3-3 spot from Chalcedon. Since I have only a little bit of time before bed tonight, I won't start my attack against the Byzantines until tommorow, instead opting to change my builds and citizens to better options due to the new techs. Here's a city I like (note I could have 5 happy citizens here in Tarsus this turn, but I'd rather get the structure in):

Looking at things, I might get the Byzantines to declare on me in 11 turns, and the Hittities in 18 turns, which might mean I can delay building markets a little bit overall.

860 AD-So I have some 160 non-native settlers lying around. I had thought about using these to grow cities once they have hospitals. But, reconsidering that I do need to build plenty of structures, and that I now have civil engineers which can do this (and that this will take time), I've decided I may as well throw those non-native settlers into cities. I still have plenty of temporary cities from which I've bought settlers. Some of these lie in bad area that I don't want tiles at all. Others, like New Ephesus:

block access to a city on the coast (when the city on the coast can grab sea squares and isn't too bad overall).

870 AD-Score up to 16,061. I raze Chalcedon, as well as Adrianople, and settle cities in this area.

870 AD-I also raze Dyrrachium which only has two units defending it.

880 AD-Score up to 16,397. I remove the last of the Byzantines' units from their homeland and make peace with them. I begin landing armies over on the Russian shores.

890 AD-The Russians actually throw 2 medieval infantries at my fully healthy cavalry armies that landed. Score up to 16,733. I take control of Rostov, Moscow, Yaroslav, and St. Petersburg. They seem to not have all that many units, I think I could disband my cannons now and still handle them quite easily.

Top Bottom