Technology Gaps: The Spearman vs. Tank Compilation

Copaczin

Philosophical, Creative
Where the Random Number God reigns, there will always be a lucky win against a technologically superior opponent, or a defeat against an inferior one. This thread asks a simple question: what was the biggest underdog-winning scenario you've seen in Civ 4? Tech gaps are the main focus, but on-par tech levels with one unit being heavily damaged (i.e. an infantry at half health besting a Modern Armor) are also welcome.

Though I've never seen an actual Spearman beat a Tank (in 4 at least), I've had tanks, MG squads and Gunships lose to Riflemen, Knights and Grenadiers. Wooden ships have also sunk my Modern-era navies.

What stories of triumph and disgrace have your armies witnessed, Civfanatics?

In my most recent game, after throwing my main stack against a particular enemy city, I found that I was 1 man short of taking the city. There was one machine-gun left in the city. The enemy had reinforcements close by, and I did not... this could be a make-or-break battle of the war.

The moment of awesomeness was that I happened to have a holkan (pikeman UU) in a nearby city, with a spare promotion. I gave him the Commando promotion. The holkan commando charged through the enemy territory using the enemy's own railroads and defeated the machine-gun – effectively winning the war.

It was a glorious victory, with a massive tech-gap between the units involved, but the odds were actually strong in the holkan's favour because the machine-gun was badly damaged. (I think it was around 70%)

My Red coat with 2 Drill promote die trying to attack warrior that garrison in the city with 175% Def bonus and that warrior have only Vet I promote

combat odds 99% too bad :(

In my most recent game, after throwing my main stack against a particular enemy city, I found that I was 1 man short of taking the city. There was one machine-gun left in the city. The enemy had reinforcements close by, and I did not... this could be a make-or-break battle of the war.

The moment of awesomeness was that I happened to have a holkan (pikeman UU) in a nearby city, with a spare promotion. I gave him the Commando promotion. The holkan commando charged through the enemy territory using the enemy's own railroads and defeated the machine-gun – effectively winning the war.

It was a glorious victory, with a massive tech-gap between the units involved, but the odds were actually strong in the holkan's favour because the machine-gun was badly damaged. (I think it was around 70%)

Spearman beats machine gun? Thats pretty close I suppose. :lol:

I had 1 Oromo in a city. Then a barbarian archer runs up to the city, defeats my Oromo, and razes the city.

Back in good ol' Civ 1 the "Spearman beats Tank" phenomena appeared.

:agree:

I remember somebody (think it was Brian Reynolds) saying around the time II came out that they created the HP/firepower system just to deal with that. I don't have any sooperfail Civ4 stories to tell, but man, do I have memories about Phalanxes behind Walls in CivI sinking my battleships and shooting down bombers.[pissed]

[/URL] U][/IMG]

I was doing some dickery with WB in RFC (8000 Barb Modern Armors v. civilization while I sat safely behind the Great Wall) and I had already wasted my barb wins on animals and a couple axemen. I thought this was interesting, as I only had 1 auto barb win left.

I recently lost a healthy Transport against a damaged enemy Frigate. Not quite Spearman vs Tank but still annoying.

I lost a number of battleships in Civ1 to phalanxes. I loved fortifying a rifleman on a mountain in that game, it was guaranteed to exact a heavy price.

Caraval > Destroyer. If that crew ever makes it back they will be hanged.

These two happened to me in the same game. Losing a Paratrooper to a Berserker is bad as it is, but then to add insult to injury I lost a Tank to a Longbowman. :mad:

Spoiler :

I wish the combat system was more like it was, for example, in Advance Wars. No RNG.
There an Infantry would never kill a Medium Tank, whereas in CIV it's not that uncommon for a Tank to lose to some dude in loin clothes.

:spear: :sad:

Yesterday, my Redcoat lost to a Maceman (99.0 % combat odds).

But I'm really glad combat odds are viewable now. Back in Civ I, learned the hard way to stay clear of any defensive unit fortified in mountain tiles.

Back in good ol' Civ 1 the "Spearman beats Tank" phenomenon appeared. Luckily, Civ II fixed most of these incidents. However, Civ IV's crappy Random Number God brought them back

Fixed.

Alpha Centauri had something like reactor, it'd be interesting if there's something like that in Civ4 as well, eg. gunpowder units gets double HP facing pre gunpowder ones.

Top Bottom