question about true up

s0nny80y

Emperor
do museums preserve the original compass orientation of ancient monuments on display?

i ask because id like to imagine instructions lit up by sun rise made reading obelisks more acceptable to the masses

and that sun set made reading the other side of a monument acceptable for ppl of leisure

Since most displays are indoors, I seriously doubt it unless specifically noted. And since most pilfered obelisks were taken during the 19th century, I seriously doubt it.

do museums preserve the original compass orientation of ancient monuments on display?

i ask because id like to imagine instructions lit up by sun rise made reading obelisks more acceptable to the masses

and that sun set made reading the other side of a monument acceptable for ppl of leisure

I don't think there was ever concern about the orientation of small pieces. Especially because the vast majority of such finds are no longer in their original position when discovered. Archaeologists now try to avoid guessing games with what they find.

Large monuments that were preserved in situ do have the original orientation. And when they are moved (Abu Simbel, for example) there is an effort to preserve the orientation.

Top Bottom