Civ V Civilizations Roster

True. I would have rather had someone like Thuthmose III. But regardless, I think it's kind of insulting to have Egypt represented by a female... just so you can have a scantily-clad female leader.

Hattie isn't exactly scantily clad in Civ IV, is she? (I completely agere that Cleopatra shouldn't be in.)

I'll miss Hattie. (SIGH)

Öjevind Lång;8997500 said:
NOT Normans - that's just the word for people from Normandy. As for "Scandinavians just being the name for the nroth-south peninsula", that simply is not true. Most Scandinavians would, I think, prefer the term "Scandinavian" to the silly "Viking" any day. "The Viking civilization"? Why not the cowboy civilization or the samurai civilization?

"norman comes from ~northman. norman, norse, nordic, north goth, scandinavian. these are all the same thing. they are all north germanic tribes."

this is the popular view of most historians. but if u are from scandinavia, maybe it is normal for you not to agree scandinavians coming from germanic origin. all antions want to believe they come from a seperate origin and don't claim any relation with other nations.

today, the norman term is only related to normandia as a word and that'S maybe why u think so.

"norman comes from ~northman. norman, norse, nordic, north goth, scandinavian. these are all the same thing. they are all north germanic tribes."

this is the popular view of most historians. but if u are from scandinavia, maybe it is normal for you not to agree scandinavians coming from germanic origin. all antions want to believe they come from a seperate origin and don't claim any relation with other nations.

today, the norman term is only related to normandia as a word and that'S maybe why u think so.

"Norman" comes from the Old French plural form "Normans", an adaption of the Old Scandinavian "Nordman" which meant "Northman" - Scandinavian. Neither "Northman" nor "Norman" ever referred to Goths or other Germanic tribes from outside Scandinavia. As you say, since many centuries (since the 11th century, at the very least), the word "Norman" exclusively refers to the people of Normandy, a province in France. In other words, it makes no sense at all to use it about the Norsemen/Scandinavians.

Please try to maintain a civil tone when debating matters. You have a regrettable tendency to cast aspersions on other people's knowledge, honesty or motives when your own statements are questioned.

Öjevind Lång;8997561 said:
Please try to maintain a civil tone when debating matters. You have a regrettable tendency to cast aspersions on other people's knowledge, honesty or motives when your own statements are questioned.
which sentence of mine has a cast of aspersion aspersion on your knowledge? seems there is a misunderstanding there.

well, i only commented that viking terminology is wrong (seems so) a more correct terminology could be nordic or norseman. term "scandinavian" seems more like a people of a geography rather than a civilization.
for example, persian have a meaning but anatolians doesn't have much meaning. i thought scandinavian terminology is just geographical more than historical. you might disagree.

and besides about normans/nordic, what i mentioned is a popular belief of scandinavians coming from north germanic root.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norseman
that terminologies like nordic, norse etc. came from the same word origin which all mean north germans. this might be true as by linguage scandinavian languages are considered within germanic family.

i also mentioned you might disagree with that if you are from scandinavia.

while writing my comments you can see i have written "a popular belief says this" and "you might diasagree if u are from scandinavia as each nation wants to believe it came from seperate roots". i never said "what u said is wrong". history is not that much solid.

PS: i don't trust every article wiki has but it is a source. i know wiki has some disagreements with general turkish history so it could have disagreements with other nations' histories as well. i was just talking about the popular belief mentioned by wiki.

not only did he resurrect this thread but he quoted say1988 from page 15!?!?!

holy crap. i only wasted 20 minutes to find it but i guess he read the whole thing to see if anyone got anything right.

Moderator Action: Threads can be necroed for legitimate purposes. The bump here barely passes, but the posts following don't exactly make it much better. ;)

Top Bottom