Score

Freeman_C2K

Chieftain
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone had specifics or links to how the scoring is weighted\broken down.

Just rage-quit a King game with Indian where I was going for a culture victory. I thought everything was going absolutely FANTASTIC right up until about mid-medival era.

I ran a tradition opener and yes, ended up with 4 cities pretty quick to grow. And India is a really fun Civ to GROW. Borders got tight, but I had room for one more city expo behind the front of my big four - when I quit all four of my old cities were approximately 30+ citizens, the fifth was growing rapidly at about 17.

Anyways, back to the question - how are overall scores weighted\determined? Also, It's clear when the "Most Wonderful People" or "People who like to smile the most," lists come up, because that is a direct correlation to wonders build and current happiness.

Where does the "Pointiest Sticks" number come from?

As I was saying, I thought things were going swimmingly. I decided to run a smaller (in this case, capping at 5 cities) empire as India to promote happiness, and focus on a culture VC (never completed this before). The, from late medieval to Industrial I realized I was free-falling. I was once leading the pack in points, then dropped to 4th of the 5 civs I met. Was pushing culture - but checked in to see Theodora had completed one more tree than me... Was also running tech better than I ever had (also had about 3 research agreements each with Theodora and Korea), but Korea finished Apollo way sooner than I've ever seen - like early 1900s.

I always sacrificed military... at one point I held off an Ottoman DoW with Knights and crossbowmen - that was pretty easily actually.

For Military, I played defensively. Had my war elephants early... had walls and Mughal forts in all cities - so I knew I wasn't the "pointest" - just wanted to keep enough to disuade an invasion and allow a few turns of defense in case of one while I buy an army. i had Barracks\Arsenals in two of five cities to pump out double-upgraded units in case of emergency.

My production was tight - not sure how things got so bad.

So my general understanding is that Civ V is very much a game of balance... you can't really go in one direction without sacrificing another. I was sacrificing military for culture and tech (wanted to gear my tech to advance culture buildings\wonders; and on some turns there was just nothing I could do for culture - in those cases I was building universities, public schools, etc.)

I was a little frustrated to see the computer AI so greatly exceed me in culture and tech (Theodora and Korea respectively) but they didn't appear to have sacrificed anything... Their militaries were ridiculous, and Sejong's final surprise invasion, complete with rocket artillery is what forced my hand into a rage-quit. Also Theodora and completed 4 of 5 trees and her military was way bigger than mine too.

I want to try and figure out what happened because I felt pretty solid the entire game - high growth, high-production, good defense and quick military contingency options, good happiness, good money... I felt I was making really good decisions with every production decision I made....

I dunno....

Step one for me to figure this out is tied into my questions:

How are overall scores weighted\determined?
Where does the "Pointiest Sticks" number come from?

I don't have exact numbers, but the score is mostly based on # of cities, population, and world wonders built.

The pointy sticks is a measure of your military might, based on the units you have. It can be misleading because it combines your land army strength and your naval force. The AI likes to spam useless amounts of boats and this inflates their "pointy stick" rating. You can check to see who has the most and least at anytime by going into the demographics screen. If you have a below average military strength then you should watch out for a DOW.

I don't have exact numbers, but the score is mostly based on # of cities, population, and world wonders built.

The pointy sticks is a measure of your military might, based on the units you have. It can be misleading because it combines your land army strength and your naval force. The AI likes to spam useless amounts of boats and this inflates their "pointy stick" rating. You can check to see who has the most and least at anytime by going into the demographics screen. If you have a below average military strength then you should watch out for a DOW.

I knew "Pointiest..." was measure of military might - I just couldn't figure out EXACTLY what is determining that number - not easily correlated as others.

Also, while I'm thinking of it - I have infoaddicts downloaded and checked as MOD in game but it's either not working, or I can't see where to go to access it.

Any suggestions?

Well if "Pointiest" uses the same formula as the AI to compare military strength we all know it can be ignored.

No idea about the formula, but from what i've seen pointiest sticks weights units + experience.

Also, while I'm thinking of it - I have infoaddicts downloaded and checked as MOD in game but it's either not working, or I can't see where to go to access it.

Any suggestions?

You have to click the button that makes a menu come down to that shows the military overview, victory information, and the demographics.It's in the same menu with them.Or at least it is on my game.

You can also access it when in diplomacy with an AI.

Top Bottom