Civ 5 GAK Embassies

I also think i read somewhere that you need an embassy with a civ first before you can infiltrate them with spies.

Does anyone else remember this?

I also think i read somewhere that you need an embassy with a civ first before you can infiltrate them with spies.

It makes sense,but sure It'll have to need a good advantage to compensate it,like a happiness bonus when trading luxury resources and/or some kind of bonus on RAs .

I think I remember Dennis placing a spy in an Ethiopian city in the PAX demo and at that point he didn't have very good relations with them so I presume you don't need an embassy to place a spy.

That was at the start of the third demo segment, the "War" chapter. He was already at war with Ethiopia at that point... but maybe he had set up an embassy long before conflict?

I'm willing to bet they just took a page from Call to Power and made a unit that has to go to any foreign city and setup a permanent embassy.

Would be weird if you can only use spies against civs with an embassy. That would mean you cannot spy on another civ you've been at war with from the beginning of the game. It would also mean the Always War option renders espionage useless.

I may be misrembering but wasn't it mentioned at some point that embassies expand the range of actions a spy can attempt.

I'm willing to bet they just took a page from Call to Power and made a unit that has to go to any foreign city and setup a permanent embassy.

I doubt there will be a unit needed.

Talking about the units thing: wasnt Coll to Power taken that idea from Civ2? As far as I remember, there was such a diplomat unit (and a female looking spy later on).
:scan:

I thought that "Found Embassy" was seen in one of the diplomacy screens.

I highly doubt that it will entail a unit, as it is out of character for the rest of the game. They have specifically ensured that spies are not present on the map, for example.

How did it work in Civilization III. I never played it.:(

It's been awhile since I played, but as I remember it you established an embassy with another power for a certain amount of gold once you'd A) met them, and B) discovered Writing. You couldn't do any kind of diplomacy with that player apart from declare war on them, nor could you contact them out of range of sight of their cities or units, without first having an embassy. Once you had an embassy established, you got a look at their capital city screen, which was nice. Once you got to the point where you could do espionage, it was done through the embassy screen.

It's been awhile since I played, but as I remember it you established an embassy with another power for a certain amount of gold once you'd A) met them, and B) discovered Writing. You couldn't do any kind of diplomacy with that player apart from declare war on them, nor could you contact them out of range of sight of their cities or units, without first having an embassy. Once you had an embassy established, you got a look at their capital city screen, which was nice. Once you got to the point where you could do espionage, it was done through the embassy screen.

Thanks.

I have a problem with embassies and I hope no-one minds me resurrecting this old thread with a query!

I just started a game on level 6 (King?), epic and 4 turns into the game I meet another Civ who wants to set up an embassy. This surely means that he has researched writing already after 4 turns! As if this isn't disconcerting enough, 10 turns in I meet another Civ who wants an embassy in my capital. As I'd quite like to build the Great Library and am going directly for Writing to that end, I just don't understand how all this is possible - so, in 4 turns the AI could have found 2 ancient ruins both with a tech advance?! And then another Civ the same? Someone please tell me if I'm missing something and being stupid but what on earth is going on here?! I know they get slight advantages at this level, but this is ridiculous.

Cheers in advance for any reply.

I just don't understand how all this is possible - so, in 4 turns the AI could have found 2 ancient ruins both with a tech advance?!

On Level 5+ the AI starts with the free tech pottery. So it's just one ruin with a technology in it, which is definitely possible. ;)

Top Bottom