What's The Point of Clearing a Marsh?

maybe to disable the movement penalty
or maybe to remove them from your dutch neighbours, preventing them to build polders..

To build plantaions on luxury resources, plus the extra growth never hurts, unless you are the dutch. Later on in the game you can build oil wells on oil sources, which requires you to clear the marsh. The function is not useless! Otherwise it would be not included.

To build plantaions on luxury resources, plus the extra growth never hurts, unless you are the dutch. Later on in the game you can build oil wells on oil sources, which requires you to clear the marsh. The function is not useless! Otherwise it would be not included.

As I said, you can build an improvement without clearing a marsh. And I don't buy that useless functions aren't included. What about a spy hideout?

I think it's just a matter of time distribution. If you plant a farm directly, you'll use a number of turns to clear the marsh and then a number of turns to make the farm. Sometimes you might want to clear the marsh first and then build the farm later. Or, like someone said, to clear the marsh to help moving through the tile but don't want to use time building the farm (if tile is out of city reach, for instance).

"As I said, you can build an improvement without clearing a marsh. "

Actually, No you cannot.
If you build a farm it clears the marsh first and then build a farm. It just do it automatically. But it is the exact same action. You can try it, If you clear the marsh for 2 turn it will be 2 turn shorter to build a traiding post.

Actually, No you cannot.
If you build a farm it clears the marsh first and then build a farm. It just do it automatically. But it is the exact same action. You can try it, If you clear the marsh for 2 turn it will be 2 turn shorter to build a traiding post.

It works as you describe for a farm. However, I believe a trading post can be built on a marsh without the marsh being removed.

Trading posts and camps are the only improvements that dont clear marshes, and even then they are suboptimal anway, unless it is a puppet in which case it can starve all it wants, as long as it is earning me money

Actually, No you cannot.

Okay, I should have said "You can build a farm without clearing a marsh as a separate action". Hope the pedants are satisfied.

Trading posts and camps are the only improvements that dont clear marshes, and even then they are suboptimal anway, unless it is a puppet in which case it can starve all it wants, as long as it is earning me money

I was under the impression roads could be built on marsh tiles.

I usually leave marshes alone, unless the tile has actual importance. If it is just some generic grassland in my empire I will just leave it, every citizen should have something better to work than a generic grassland anyways, otherwise I would rethink the city.

Certain luxuries, like sugar, can be found in marshes. So, if you have the tech to clear marshes, but don't have the tech to build plantations, you might want to go ahead and clear the marsh now and come back later to build the plantation when you have the tech.

Sometimes, you want to build trading post on it and it won't clear marshes by itself?

And you want the option to clear it or not, for puppets, if you want them to starve yet still give you money, or there's a thin strip of it on the margin of your empire bordering an aggressive civ and you want to use it as a cavalry trap.

Marshes also give units sat on them a severe penalty when defending against ranged attacks. In some circumstances it could be beneficial to clear a marsh to eliminate that penalty (although most of the time this can actually be useful to you if you are defending your own territory against invaders).

you can start clearing before the tile is in your borders if you know it is gonna be soon

Basically, to sum up lots of people's points, it's a case of time management. If you have Masonry but not Calendar, or if the marsh is outside your territory, or if you have a worker who's waiting for something else to do, clearing a marsh by itself is a relevant function that won't take as long as building a farm. Also, if you want to get rid of the marsh but aren't bothered about improving the tile, because you already have enough good tiles or it's out of city radius, you don't want to have to build a farm just to avoid the movement/combat penalties. Finally, trading posts. Annoyingly, building a trading post doesn't get rid of marshes, but still take longer to build on them as though they did. Clear a marsh separately before building a trading post to avoid taking ages.

it's nice to get a couple marshes right in front of your city, great for defense against the ai, let them waste all their movements moving into the tile and then suffer a combat penalty being in it

Top Bottom