Ocean access

catecalloway

Chieftain
I'm playing my second game where I have had trouble accessing the ocean.

For example, I have several cities with borders that include many ocean tiles, but only one of these produces boats of any kind, or a harbor. Unfortunately, that city's ocean is completely blocked off by ice so there's no point in making boats, and I've got a trade route by land, so I don't need a harbor. Meanwhile, I've got ocean tiles bordering almost the entire continent and none of my other cities will let me do anything about it. As a result, it was only recently that I've been able to send anything out there to explore the world and I'm having to use land units to do it. And I can't make work boats so all those fish are going to waste.

As I describe this problem, it suddenly occurred to me... to access ocean tiles does your founding city itself actually have to border the ocean? I don't recall that being the case in past games but can't remember for sure.

You mean you have coastal cities, but they won't produce naval units?

At least on vanilla you don't have to found your capital on the coast to be able to build naval units in other cities, and I have no reason to believe it would be that way in G&K either.

If your city is not founded beside the ocean (coast would be the proper word) you cannot build boats from that city
Korean President (Sejong):)P) he's talking about cities that are 1 or 2 tiles separated from the coast, whose cultural borders embrace some fish and coastal tiles, and one city that is on the coast, but is trapped by ice surrounding it.

to access ocean tiles does your founding city itself actually have to border the ocean?

Yea any city that you want to produce ships has to be on a tile right next to the water. Just having the cultural boarders on the water doesn't count. The city itself needs to be on the coast.

I really think directly improving sea tiles should be possible with a Tech (around the renaissance/industrial era) and 2-3x the gold cost of rush buying a workboat. The code is there already as we can pay city states to improve their resources.

This will allow exactly this situation to be resolved where a landlocked city has access to coastal resources. And also resolve puppeted coastal cities with unimproved luxuries and resources but no easy route to get a workboat to the area due to geography or war.

Techs I would consider
- Economics
- Navigation
- Electricity
- Steam Power

The city itself has to be on the coast as DevilHell said. At least one of the six tiles surrounding the city (the six tiles the city can work right when it's placed) has to be ocean, otherwise it's an inland city.

I really think directly improving sea tiles should be possible with a Tech (around the renaissance/industrial era) and 2-3x the gold cost of rush buying a workboat. The code is there already as we can pay city states to improve their resources.

This will allow exactly this situation to be resolved where a landlocked city has access to coastal resources. And also resolve puppeted coastal cities with unimproved luxuries and resources but no easy route to get a workboat to the area due to geography or war.
I'd also like to be able to (re)move workboats, having a puppet work a 5:c5food: fish is not always a good thing.
Or is this possible already, and I've never just realized it?

I'd also like to be able to (re)move workboats, having a puppet work a 5:c5food: fish is not always a good thing.
Or is this possible already, and I've never just realized it?

Annex it.

Yes really, you can´t remove every disadvantage there is to a puppet city, without people rightly saying that that part of the game is badly balanced.

Annex it.

Yes really, you can´t remove every disadvantage there is to a puppet city, without people rightly saying that that part of the game is badly balanced.
So you can move workboats in annexed cities?
I wasn't talking about assigning the citizens here.

Top Bottom