New civ linked to new resource

Komodo dragons as a resource? That doesn't even begin to make sense. I'm not going to "bank on" that at all.

It's getting to where I can't tell the joke suggestions from the sincere-but-outlandish suggestions. :crazyeye:

Since the resource is supposed to be a dead give-away, you can bank on it being one of these:

Buffalo / Bison - Sioux
Kangaroo - Australia
Seals / Walrus - Inuit
Komodo Dragon - Indonesia / Majaphahit
Moose - Canada

I think Buffalo or Kangaroo get the nod.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do/did Australians use kangaroos? I understand the Aborigines occasionally ate them, but I don't think 'modern' Australians do much with them beyond dodging them while driving.

I think the first, third and fifth options are likely the real ones. Leaning toward #1.

I was trolling with Komodo dragons. But kangaroos could be a tourism resource - since unique wildlife if a big part of Australia's huge tourism industry and tourism is a focus in this expansion. It would also finally fill that continent.

That said, I really think it is going to be Buffalo, since that is linked to a legacy civ in the Sioux.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do/did Australians use kangaroos? I understand the Aborigines occasionally ate them, but I don't think 'modern' Australians do much with them beyond dodging them while driving.

Modern Australians eat them too, and the meat's becoming increasingly popular. I think the suggestion (while evidently not serious) has more to do with trying to identify a resource only found in Australia than one whose use characterises the country.

Maybe not cattle replacement, but simply a unique resource.
For example: As soon as the Sioux discover animal husbandry or trapping, buffalo resources appear on the map. Those resources are only improvable/visible by Sioux.

Alright, I can concede here. I don't associate the Sioux with Buffalo enough that I could imagine it would be tied to them as one of their attributes, but I can sympathise with the distinctiveness of Buffalo in North America. I still feel a manufactured good is more plausible, but perhaps only in as much as this favours Venice/Italy as a civ. And if it's glass, maybe they looked at my mod for inspiration...:)

I don't perceive Bison as a luxury resource on par with spices or silk, but hey, that's just me.

So far, I don't see any suggestions that jibe with what Dennis actually said except for buffalo. He said he can't tell us the new resource because that, in and of itself, would give away the new civ. Rubber would not give away any civ, nor would rice, chocolate, glass, or anything else that's been said. The implication is very strong that the connection is inevitable; that if he said, "The new resource is x," we would all say, "But x makes no sense as a resource without a y civ. Holy crap, they've added y!"

Buffalo would fit that, in that it would be really weird for them to have gone to the trouble to add a buffalo resource without adding the people most well known for using them. So I think it could be buffalo/Sioux. Not that we know enough yet to be sure, but it strikes me as more likely than rubber etc.

I'm quite sure it won't be a ressource on the map that you are sure to get from game start at your start location. It has to be a resource this civilization can get from its Unique Building that produces it. That way only this Civ can produce it. If the Civ is conquered, the ressource will be gone as well.

This makes me think it can be Venice, that so succsesfully protected their Secrets of the Venetian glassmaking art. Venetian Glass is the New ressource, and it's produced by the venetian civs new UB.

Other arguments for Venice is the new trade feature that perfectly fits the trade empire Venice was.

It also makes more sense to add another italian city state (besides Rome), instead of making the whole of Italy a Civ. What italian city state has been the most powerfull besides Rome; no doubt it's Venice.

Venice is the perfect choice indeed for a special lux ressource produced only by it's cities. Another good choice would be China and silk, but China of course are already in the game as well as silk.

I don't perceive Bison as a luxury resource on par with spices or silk, but hey, that's just me.

The point is being made that it could be a unique Bonus resource, rather than luxury.

It also makes more sence to add another italian city state (besides Rome), instead of making the Whole of Italy a Civ. What italian city state has been the most powerfull besides Rome; no doubt it's Venice.

The Papal States, I would argue, but on a completely different level, and I believe Venice's chances are far greater than the Papacy, for the reasons you've given.

Majapahit/Indonesia - Rice
(less and less convinced they'll make it everyday but they are the only civ i can speak about in-depth)

Thai/Vietnamese Rice exports are better
late 90s/early 2000s Vietnam had the biggest export, until Thailand reclaimed the mantle.
could be bamboo for vietnam :p

I don't agree that it's likely to be glass and Venice/Italy. Especially with Venice already being a City State. Their simply adding glass as a resource would not even suggest to me that Venice had been upgraded to a full-blown civ, let alone be such a giveaway that he can't even say "glass".

So far, I don't see any suggestions that jibe with what Dennis actually said except for buffalo. He said he can't tell us the new resource because that, in and of itself, would give away the new civ. Rubber would not give away any civ, nor would rice, chocolate, glass, or anything else that's been said. The implication is very strong that the connection is inevitable; that if he said, "The new resource is x," we would all say, "But x makes no sense as a resource without a y civ. Holy crap, they've added y!"

Very good point. At this point I'm thinking a manufactured good would be more likely (for some group known for making a certain thing, like purple dyes and Phoenicia (except Phoenicia has almost no chance of getting in in my opinion, that was more an example)), or a natural resource that is specific (such as something found in the Arctic for the Inuit).

I don't agree that it's likely to be glass and Venice/Italy. Especially with Venice already being a City State. Their simply adding glass as a resource would not even suggest to me that Venice had been upgraded to a full-blown civ, let alone be such a giveaway that he can't even say "glass".

Venice already being a city state doesent mean it can't become a civ in the XP. Why should that hinder them?

And guys, saying the ressource is Venetian Glass would be to give away what civ Dennis was talking about, much more then Buffalo or most other suggestions.

It doesn't. That's not what I said. I said glass being added as a resource would not give away that it had been upgraded to a full civ.

They are not known for ordinary glass. It's the famous luxurious Venetian Glass. They wouldnt call the ressource Glass, but Venetian Glass.

I find it interesting how this has become an argument about glass.

The more I think of it, the more convinced I am it's Venice.

Arguments:

Venice will allow for a UU for a unit that still isn't covered by UU's. The galleas. It would be perfected at protecting the new sea trade routes, and perfectly fit that theme.

Their UB will produce this new luxury ressource Venetian Glass, that only Venice will be able to produce, and you can make one new per city you have with this building. Can be quite powerfull if you have nations to trade with.

Their UA could be focused arround the new trade system. There you go, the perfect trading empire.

Venice was on its most powerfull in the renaissance era, and this XP will focus on the ages from the renaissance and to the endgame.

If Dennis had mentioned Venetian Glass, don't you think we would have guessed on Venice? Buffalo can be most NA tribes...... and you will have the problem that other civs can get the ressource if it isnt produced in a city by a building.

Buffalo/Bison is a good guess. If that were in the game, all guesses would go straight to a NA Civ. And from a gameplay perspective it makes sense, too. Calendar/mining resources are overwhelming. Trapping only has ivory, deer, and truffles (GK). At least I'd assume it would be under trapping.

Top Bottom