Football Thread No. 9

Hey, lots of sympathy Josu. I only got to watch the second half, and I gather Athletic weren't really there in the first half. But they gave it a good try in the second period, and were unlucky not to get one back.

That said, Madrid defended pretty well, and always looked dangerous on the break.

I think we were but we played as newbies. The match began with Atletico pressing our defenders so that we can not give short passes. We bit the bait and started to try long passes. I think we have should try to move the ball in order to tire their attackers, at least the first 15 minutes.

Sorry about the result Josu. :sad:
Hope your team can pick it up, correct some mistakes, and make Barcelona's life hard in the Copa del Rey final in 2 weeks. And win it. :)

Falcao :worship: - best striker in the world inside the penalty area. Maybe even the best striker in the world, period.

It is vox populi that if we were able to win one final, it was the one played yesterday. I think that we would be able to win yesterday, then our players would won morale so cup's final would be easier, but I am rather pessimistic right now. :sad:

Athletic were there in the first half, Simeone's team played on the coutnerattack and committed perpetrated a penalty that should have been given -but wasn't- just two or three minutes after Falcao opened the score. Still, with Radamel…

But well, refereeing mistakes happen. What really irks me is that FOX Sports is allowed to continue broadcasting European football. :cringe:

I agree with your view of the match, they played on the counterattack pretty well, however I am not sure about the penalty. Watching the match was like watching a Cassius Clay's boxing combat, they waited and hit. We were very panchito (is there a word in English for this expresion)

Falcao won his personal trophy again :(

I think that we are not going to discover Falcao right now, however it seems that our defenders discovered him just yesterday. You can not allow him to control the ball inside the area, otherwise he will generate a goal chance. Amorebieta allowed him this and more, and in the second goal I still can not understand this childish ball lost. :sad:

Right now I am absolutely disappointed, I did know that loosing was an option, but I am heart broken. At least we will have another chande on 25th may.

On Argentina's national day, Argentina's best coach against Argentina's best player. Nice clash. But Athletic Bilbao are the Cinderella in either competition just like Fulham in 2009-10, who knows?

On Argentina's national day, Argentina's best coach against Argentina's best player. Nice clash. But Athletic Bilbao are the Cinderella in either competition just like Fulham in 2009-10, who knows?

Yeah, who knows.
Barcelona will be different, they play more on attack, so we are supposed to play better. However Barcelona players are top class, and we are still not ripe. We are inmature. I am still very pesimistic. Maybe next year, or in two years.

Give him time.

Surprising results last night in the Libertadores:
Santos overturn their first leg 1-2 deficit to win their tie 9-2 on aggregate (5-0 at half time, 8-0 with half an hour remaining!); just as impressively, Universidad de Chile kick the table by thrashing Deportivo Quito 6-0… after losing the first leg 4-1 away. In another good match, Fluminense, the best team in Rio de Janeiro, edged past 2010 champions Internacional 2-1 (same result on aggregate). A great night for once.

Yeah, who knows.
Barcelona will be different, they play more on attack, so we are supposed to play better. However Barcelona players are top class, and we are still not ripe. We are inmature. I am still very pesimistic. Maybe next year, or in two years.

Well I'm impressed with Athletic's football and the fact that only players from the region are allowed. There is a lot of talent in Basque Country.

:ninja: FTW

It's a beautiful anachronism… or is it just an anachronism? The fact that they've never been relegated, that only Barcelona have won more Spanish Cups than them (2 more, will be either 3 or 1 depending on the final in a fortnight) and that they've reached both finals this year means it doesn't have to be considered sooo outdated.

In another good match, Fluminense, the best team in Rio de Janeiro team which isn't as good as Flamengo, edged past 2010 champions Internacional 2-1 (same result on aggregate). A great night for once.

FTFY. :p

They didn't even get past the group stage of the Taça Rio!

I'd have assumed that the team with the most Carioca tournaments would be considered the best team of Rio… but it's only a difference of 2 and they're still in the Libertadores instead of losing to a horsehockye like Emelec.

Dortmund - Bayern 5-2 in the German cup final. Third victory for Dortmund this season over Bayern. Three case studies for Chelsea...

How come Dortmund are doing so well? I know they have the wonderkid Gotze but a glance at their squad on the wikipedia page and I can't see many players i recognise (unlike bayern). How come they won Bundesliga and the Deutsch cup final?!

How come Dortmund are doing so well? I know they have the wonderkid Gotze but a glance at their squad on the wikipedia page and I can't see many players i recognise (unlike bayern). How come they won Bundesliga and the Deutsch cup final?!

That's because unlike what takes place in England, Spain, the top clubs in Italy and Bayern, where world class stars are proclaimed on a weekly basis, the good players in the rest of the world only become recognised when they show up in the WC or the Euro Champs. :p
Götze has actually been out injured since the winter break btw.

Anyway, Dortmund does have good players, but they mostly seem to be a super organised team with really slick movements and passing. By comparison Bayern looks like a collection of individuals put together with little training.

The result is a bit hard to read though. On one hand, the sheer incompetence of Bayern's defence today deserves the 5 goal punishment. Otoh, I think Dortmund had basically those 5 shots the entire match, with at least 2 or 3 of those ridiculously gifted by Bayern (the good news is that half of that defence isn't playing next week, the bad news is that the replacements are worse :lol: ).

I think the style of Chelsea and their players suits Bayern more though, but it looks more and more like a 50-50 game to me.

Well I'm impressed with Athletic's football and the fact that only players from the region are allowed. There is a lot of talent in Basque Country.

It's a beautiful anachronism… or is it just an anachronism? The fact that they've never been relegated, that only Barcelona have won more Spanish Cups than them (2 more, will be either 3 or 1 depending on the final in a fortnight) and that they've reached both finals this year means it doesn't have to be considered sooo outdated.

I'm sure Josu can inform us in much greater detail, but their policy these days is actually not as strict as people tend to think.
First of all, it's not just the Basque Country that's taken into consideration, but also La Rioja and Navarre (the greater Basque lands of course, but where afaik the penetration of basque is not that deep), as well as the french basque country.
Secondly, players who have been educated in this catchment area are eligible regardless of origin. In their academy they have or have had foreign players.

The philosophy of the club has thus evolved and been redefined over the years. These days it seems to be more about promoting players nurtured in their academy. A few months ago, for example, I think there was an historic moment when they fielded 11 players from outside Vizcaya (the province where Bilbao lies) for the first time ever.

Another less romantic aspect of their policy (or policies) over the years has been the controversy with other basque clubs, which have accused Athletic of ransacking their academies and buying all the local talent. Real Sociedad used to have the same policy up until 20 years ago but cited that as a reason (or excuse) to abandon it. But I guess that's the same everywhere: the richer and more powerful clubs always end up with the best local, national or international players depending on where they stand in the food chain.

I'm sure Josu can inform us in much greater detail, but their policy these days is actually not as strict as people tend to think.
First of all, it's not just the Basque Country that's taken into consideration, but also La Rioja and Navarre (the greater Basque lands of course, but where afaik the penetration of basque is not that deep), as well as the french basque country.
Secondly, players who have been educated in this catchment area are eligible regardless of origin. In their academy they have or have had foreign players.

Here we have to do some political considerations.
When we say Basque only policy, we are not talking about basque automous comunity. Historical or cultural basque country is more wide than basque autonomous comunity. Hence, we consider that Navarre and French Basque country as Basque country, in consequence is our catchment area, because we consider them as Basque cultural area. We have to difference between the administrative basque country and the cultural basque country.
On the other hand, if a boy who is not basque, but has been educated in a natural way in basque country, then he is elegible. By educated in a natural way I mean that Athletic Club is never going to catch a 10 years old boy in for example Brazil and offer his parents a job. If parents have emigrated to basque country because they wanted, the we may select the boy.
Finally we can find La Rioja issue. It is very complicated and controversial to explain this because historical links between biscay an La rioja are VERY STRONG, so in some years of our history, we selected some players born in La Rioja that were educated in La Rioja. Right now we take care a lot about this issue, but we can find here the less strict area in our policy. La Rioja is not very big, so it is very easy that a Riojan football player has played in a Basque team in a very natural way.

What is absolutelly true is that we search for young players in other local teams in the same way other teams are doing. We are not infallible and obviously every boy we pick up with 10 years is not going to arrive to the first team.

Right now there are some foreing players in youth academy. There is at least a boy from Mali, a South American boy, can not remember the country, and a portuguese one, whose parents emigrate to basque country in order to search a work. As I have heard none of them will became professional, maybe the portuguese one. We have as well a boy from French Basque country, defender, that people is saying that will be top class.

The philosophy of the club has thus evolved and been redefined over the years. These days it seems to be more about promoting players nurtured in their academy. A few months ago, for example, I think there was an historic moment when they fielded 11 players from outside Vizcaya (the province where Bilbao lies) for the first time ever.

Absolutelly true, in the very begining, English players were able to play in Athletic Club, in the 1910's, we were wining all the cups played, so some clubes complained about this issue. We get very pissed so we played the next cup just with basque players. We won.
First time with 11 playefrs from outside biscay was about a year ago against Real Zaragoza.

This day we are trying to use more players from youth academy, as allways should be. From 1995 to 2002 we played a new rich role, buying several players for big ammounts. I hope the managers have realised that it is cheaper spending money in youth academy than buying profesional players and is more according to our policy.

From the current team we have a mayority of youth academy players. Our ideal current 11 is : Iraizoz, Iraola, Javi Martinez,Amorebieta, Aurtenetxe, Herrera, De Marcos, Iturraspe, Susaeta, Llorente and Muniain.
Iraizoz arrived to our youth team with 17 years, played one, we loaned to a local team, and we discard him, went to Espanyol, then we payed 5M € for him some years later
Iraola: Youth team since he was 15
Javi Martinez: paid for him 6M € when he was 17, deserves each penny
Amorebieta: Youth team since he was 8
Aurtenetxe: Youth team since he was 8
Herrera: it is not clear how much we paid, about 6M €
De Marcos: paid 1M € for him, we bought to play in reserves team
Iturraspe: Youth team since he was 14, he left one year because he was feelling dbad because wanted to play with friends, came back later
Susaeta: Youth team since he was 8
Llorente: Youth team since he was 11
Munian: Youth team he was 11, he started to train with first team while being 14

Another less romantic aspect of their policy (or policies) over the years has been the controversy with other basque clubs, which have accused Athletic of ransacking their academies and buying all the local talent. Real Sociedad used to have the same policy up until 20 years ago but cited that as a reason (or excuse) to abandon it. But I guess that's the same everywhere: the richer and more powerful clubs always end up with the best local, national or international players depending on where they stand in the food chain.

No, this is not true, Real Sociedad did not change their policy because of ransacking their academies. In fact, when they changed the policy we were not taking youth players from Real Sociedad. We were paying for them while they were in the first team, and they were happy to sell them. They only started to complain when we joined Joseba Etxeberria in 1995
Their policy change happened in 1987, when John Aldridge joined them. It happened because J.B. Toshack said that this team with a pair of foreign people would be able to win the league.

Finally Athletic Club does not ransack anything, the law about joinin youth players is cutting and we respect it. Well, some years ago we have an issue with a Real Sociedad first team's player, not a youth player, but this is another issue and we ended paying more than player deserves

That was one of the most amazing things I've seen EVER. The pure adrenaline finally overcame the crushing pressure. This was the only way City could break their mini-curse, in the most dramatic over the top way.

Top Bottom