Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

First off, welcome to CFC! :band:

In the first post of this thread (Link to that post) it states AlanH has done an excellent job explaining exactly what you need to do. Try that first and if you need further assistance, then feel free to ask.

Thanks, happy to be here.

and thanks again, after considerable trial and error I was able to get them working. I was looking in the wrong place for the Mainmenu

I have attached a modified Preferences file for Keka that will recognise and extract a .civ5mod file automatically. Download this file and use Keka to extract it. Close Keka, and move the resulting com.aone.keka.plist file into ~/Library/Preferences/ to replace the existing file of the same name.
Thanks for this very useful tutorial and the modified Keka preference file, Alan!

One short note on the latter: In my ~/Library/Preferences/ folder there was definitely no com.aone.keka.plist file. I put your modified version in that place instead of replacing an existing one and found everything working fine. (OS 10.8.3)

Surprising. I have both 10.8 and 10.7, and in both systems, there is a Keka preferences file in ~/Library/Preferences. It appears as soon as you run Keka once. Are you sure you are looking in the right Library folder?

You could be right. I think I put your file in HD/Library/Preferences/ and not in username/Library/Preferences/. The date of last alteration of your modified file should be 6/8/2013, right? But things were working, anyway.

In system 10.8.3 the preferences folder of the user name branch is "hidden" for some reason and can only be made visible by tools like "Find Any File".

The /Library/ folder is where "all user" preferences are held. I would recommend never putting preference files in there yourself. I don't know what sequence the OS uses to choose one if you have both present, but I imagine your own user prefs should take precedence if they exist.

The ~/Library/ folder is hidden, but you don't need fancy tools to see it. See my first post. Just hold down the Option/Alt key to display a Library option in the Finder's Go menu, and select that; or use Go to Folder and paste in "~/Library". Once you are in ~/Library, you should be able to see your personal Preferences folder.

The file I posted expands to a file dated 8 June 2013.

The ~/Library/ folder is hidden, but you don't need fancy tools to see it. See my first post. Just hold down the Option/Alt key to display a Library option in the Finder's Go menu, and select that; or use Go to Folder and paste in "~/Library".
Exactly because neither of that worked for me, I resorted to a fancy tool called "Find Any File" (and had to), which I found through this discussion thread here.

Both methods work here in 10.8.4 and 10.7.5.

Is your OS a German version? If so, is Library called something else?

You said "... won't show up as a search result" which implies you have only tried the "Go to Folder" method. Have you tried simply holding down Option/Alt to see the Library option in the Go menu?

The option/alt variant didn't work as well, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it to stronger measures;).

No, it hasn't anything got to do with a German version. It's called library, technically, here in my version, too.

I understand, that you prefer a degree of generality in your tutorial, applying to all cases, so I'm willing to help to clear this up thoroughly, of course.

That's what surprised me about your report. As far as I know you are the only person who has problems getting to ~/Library/. If you search the internet, the options that come up all include the methods I have given. There are also Terminal commands you ca apply to make ~/Library permanently visible. Eg:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Does that work?

chflags hidden ~/Library/ should hide it.

then chflags nohidden ~/Library/ should reveal it.

Since you are (so far) the only person that apparently can't use the simple non-Terminal methods, I really want to avoid adding complex instructions to the first post.

I can't seem to modify the MainMenu.lua file. I've tried using my admin account, I've modified the permissions for read & write, tried it in both Text Wrangler and TextEdit; yet I still can't get modify it. I keep getting 'Application error code 20004).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: I had to add Read & Write permission for the Front End folder and then I had the authorization to modify the file. Thanks!

Have you changed permissions on the enclosing folder as well as the MainMenu.lua file? When you try to save the edited file, the OS makes a temporary copy of the old version, then tries to save the new one. If the save is successful, it deletes the copy. To do this, it has to have permission to add a file to the parent folder.

I'm not sure why you even need to change permissions, though. If you are using an Admin account with TextWrangler, and if TextWrangler has the same capabilities as BBEdit, then it should allow you to save just by asking for your Admin account password.

First off, I got it fixed by giving the Front End folder permissions.

Secondly, after googling the error BBEdit noted that the Mac App store version (which I have regarding Text Wrangler) did have some permission issues. They had a script for BBEdit users, but I was hesitant to try it since I have TW, rather then BBE. I'm not sure why it didn't work while logged in as the admin, even when I tried it with Text Edit.

I eventually went back to our family account (non-admin) and modified the folder using the admin password.

BBEdit uses sudo elevation to get root access privileges. I haven't had problems with either the Steam or App Store versions. However, I's stuck with Lion on my old MacPro, so maybe Mtn Lion is more fussy.

TextEdit doesn't have the permission elevation capability built in at all, so you have to modify permissions manually if you use TextEdit

The parent folder permissions are mentioned in the first post.

Hello, first timer here.

AlanH, I think I followed your instructions correctly. However I still can't see my desired mod listed in the Mods in game menu. I'm just trying to download the "in-game editor", I've subscribed to it off of Steam, extracted it using Keka, and then moved it to the correct MODS folder to make it available. So, I'm having trouble finding my mistake.

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to CFC :wavey:

If you can see the Mods menu option then you have obviously edited the MainMenu.lua file correctly. Are you sure you have Extracted the mod? In its default state, Keka will just recompress a file it doesn't recognise. Did Keka produce a folder called "Ingame Editor (v xx)", and is that what you put in your Mods folder?

Top Bottom