Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

can U please help me! Im not really the person who's that tech savvy. Can u dumb down step 5 for me. Along with six. I know I seem stupid. But please help me. I want this mod real bad. Can u dumb it down for me? Please

Hi, welcome :wavey:

I don't know how to make the language in step 5 much simpler, but I'll write it again in different words .... If you have already succeeded in doing the first four steps and you have the Mods button showing in Civ5, then the rest should be easy in comparison.

I assume you have found and downloaded a mod in step 4. Do you have the downloaded file? What does its name end in - the file extension? It might be ".civ5map", or ".7z" or ".zip" or ".rar". These are all different kinds of "archives" - single files that contain multiple files or folders.

You have to extract the files from the archive. You may be able to do it just by double clicking the downloaded file, but typically you need an application that can extract the files. I recommend Keka.

Download Keka, install it into your Applications folder, launch it, and set it to "Always Expand". Drag the mod file to it to expand the file and create a folder full of separate files and folders.

In step 6 you just move that expanded folder into the Mods folder in your Civ5. You just have to choose the correct location according to whether you have Civ5 registered with Steam, or the Campaign Edition registered with the Apple AppStore.

Thanks AlanH. :rolleyes: The only problem i'm facing is that I download the mod and it doesn't come up anywhere i the files or anywhere else. So thats the only road block. but other than that I think I was just jumping a head and getting over excited. Oh wait. Never mind. I copied the wrong stuff and it said could not find file. But thank you AlanH. I found it. Thank you for showing me how to get mods. Please keep up the good work and help people on this awesome site. Thank you!

~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS

I seem to be too dumb to find this folder...
I'm hardly a Mac novice, but this one is eluding me altogether

I put the civ5mod file in the
~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS
folder but I fear that may have been the wrong place

I have
1- edited BOTH of the mainmenu.lua files
2- replaced the installedpanel.xml
3- read a LOT of the threads online trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong... :blush:

1. If you have downloaded a .civ5mod file, then you have to expand it to extract the files into a folder that you install in Civ5. This is Step 5 of the first post, and I tried to paraphrase it in post #102 above. Civ5 for Mac CANNOT READ an unexpanded .civ5mod file.

2. Step 6 in the first post says:
6. Install the Mod
Move the extracted mod folder into the following folder to make it available for Civ5:

For the Steam version:
~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS

For the AppStore version *:
~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS
If you have the second of these folders, then you have the Campaign Edition, and should use this folder. But you MUST expand the file first.

Based on what I'd read above, it sounded as though the .civ5mod file was the extracted file.

Trying to open with Keka has the opposite effect - it creates a .zip file, so I thought the .civ5mod file was the extracted one. I can't find any option with Keka to force an extract.

What's a better option for extracting the .civ5mod file?

Keka does it fine. Please read what I wrote in post #1:

5. Expand/Extract the Mod
Mac Civ5 cannot handle a compressed mod file. It must be extracted into a folder of plain, uncompressed files before you install it.

Steam Workshop mods will download as compressed .civ5mod files. These files are compressed using '7zip' format (.7z). Other mods may be available in a number of formats - .zip, .7z, .rar. These are all single files that contain the separate files that make up the mod.

If the mod downloads as a .zip file then you can use your usual unzip utility. Safari may well unzip it automatically, depending on your settings.

If the mod downloads as a .civ5mod or .7z or .rar file then you can use Keka or Ez7z to extract it.

I have now found Keka, which seems to work well. It is still available at MacUpdate, and downloads as a disk image file. It is probably a better alternative to Ez7z, but I suggest that you set its General screen to "Always extract", otherwise, if you drop a .civ5mod file onto it, it will not recognise it as a compressed file, and it will compress it again!

OK - so here's the deal that I just figured out through some trial and error...

You set Keka to "always extract" and leave the Keka window open

When you drag-and-drop onto Keka, you have to drop the .civ5mod file onto the Keka app window, not just the icon in the Finder (which many people use to force a file to open with a certain app)

Setting Keka to "always extract" and dropping directly onto the Keka app window gives you the extraction you describe above. Now that I've got this figured out, I'm going to see what else I can manage.

Thanks for the help and the very good tutorial at the start of this thread to get us modding.

My copy of Keka works fine with Always Extract selected. I checked that Keka was not open, and tested it two ways.

1. I right clicked a .civ5mod file and selected Open with ... and selected Keka from the list of applications. It expanded to a new folder.

2. I dragged and dropped the same .civ5mod file onto the Keka application icon, and it again expanded to a new folder.

I did not try #1
#2 didn't work for me

I did get #3 to work, though - drag and drop the .civ5mod onto the actual Keka app window.
It is now working, and I'll start exploring some of the mods out there to see what may be worth playing with

Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks for this thread, it was very helpful! And probably the easiest instructions to follow for a thing like this.

"This folder can't be found"

This may be a rookie error, but I have read this thread and can't see my specific problem addressed. I can't even get past step 2. I am logged in as admin (checked system preferences > users & groups), but when I paste ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app into finder, I get the error "this folder can't be found". Do I understand correctly that i must replace ~ with /users/myusername? What else might I be doing wrong?

You don't have to replace anything.

If the software is installed under your current admin login, and it is the Steam version, then pasting

~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app

into Finder->Go->Go to folder ...

should take you to the folder containing Civ5, and highlight the application. That's how it works for me in Lion on my Pac Pro, and in Mountain Lion on my MacBook Pro.

Hey, so first of all, I'm running Gods and Kings, not sure if that makes any difference- but I changed the line in the .lua file into a comment, so it should be fine, but the Mods button still isn't showing up... do I need to change the .lua AND the .xml files? I'm 99% sure I changed the G+K files, do I need to change the regular ones too? Thanks for any help you can give me....

There are two MainMenu.lua files to edit in a G&K system, and one xml file to replace.

Every step in my walk-through is important, and they must all be done exactly as described.

The Library folder doesn't seem to exist on my MAC at all.

The folder path "~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/MODS" doesn't exist.

As you can see from the screen shot, my CIV5 game is in the Applications folder and is not the Steam version.

But within ~/Library/Containers/ there is no com.aspyr.civ5campaign

Any help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 12.46.47.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-09 at 12.46.47.png
    238.8 KB · Views: 197
Hi, welcome :wavey:

The ~/Library folder does exist on your Mac (not MAC :)), because your screenshot shows its contents. It may be hidden, but you have found it, maybe by using Finder -> Go -> Go to Folder ...

So. You have the App Store Civ5 Campaign Edition application, but you don't have the folder: ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign

I can only think of a few reasons for this:

1. If you have never run Civ5.
2. If you are not logged in as the same person that installed Civ5.
3. If Aspyr have changed the place where they save the data that they used to save in ~/Library/Containers/. This seems unlikely. I have the current versions of everything, and that appears to be the current path.

Other than these reasons, I'm sorry, but I can't imagine why you don't have ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign.

Your first sentence says "The Library folder doesn't seem to exist on my MAC at all". You presumably meant the subfolder, not the Library folder.

The screen shot shows ~/Library/Containers/ So it's just the com.aspyr.civ5campaign subfolder that was not found.

Yes, sorry, I meant the folder where the Civ mod/save files are meant to go.

After "Containers" there is no "com.aspyr...." sub-folder.

I've even tried to show hidden folders using Terminal, with no result. What's bizarre is that I have saved a game (single player). I am trying to figure that's been saved...

If I can find that... I assume the mod folder would be nearby.

This is really weird.

Out of curiosity, are the save files named exactly how they are named in-game? If so, I can search for them.

Top Bottom