2 Questions

falcon7xx

Chieftain
I just got back into G&K and i have 2 questions.

1. How can I get another nation to go to war with me if I have a bigger army? I want Bismark to go to war with me since he is settling cities all around me. I do not want to DoW him because I do not want the War mongering title.

2. Is there a way to get rid of a religion out of the game. I just took India out and used my GP to convert his holy city to my religion, but his religion keeps coming back.

First denouce and then ask to stop settling cities if that doesn't work. Ask a really good ally to go to war but make sure the ally has been allied with you for at least 1 era and it should work. If none of that works just go to war as long as you don't take their capital you won't get that warmonger status.

On No. 1, the AI is loath to declare war on a civ with a stronger military (not completely stupid, in that regard). Basically, you're going to have to do your best to make him think you are vulnerable and/or act like enough of a jerk to nudge him over the edge -- denounce him, do DOFs with his worst enemies, use citadels to steal some of his territory, settle a tempting new city on his doorstep, get involved in another war -- others will have more suggestions, but none of these is assured of successfully provoking a DOW.

On No. 2, you will need to use an inquisitor to get rid of the holy city status - great prophet can't do that.

You can't permnently take a religion out of the game, unless you take over its holy city, convert all of its cities and make sure there's anough pressure on the holy city for it to never come back. note inquisitors cannot be used outside your own territory, and will not alter pressure permanently so the above suggestions is a temporary fix.

To get a DoW:
Denounce him
Bully/DoW CS's they're protecting
Settle right next to them
Ask them to stop settling near you
denounce/DoW one of their friends.
Build up a warmonger penalty (though this kinda defeats the point)
If you catch one of their spies, demand that they stop.
If they have a religion, spread yours in their cities
All of what Browd said
I'm sure there's more I've forgotten, but that'd be a good start.

I just got back into G&K and i have 2 questions.

1. How can I get another nation to go to war with me if I have a bigger army? I want Bismark to go to war with me since he is settling cities all around me. I do not want to DoW him because I do not want the War mongering title.

I've never played Gods and Kings, but here are some ways to tank your diplomatic stance with the Germans, which is the only surefire way to get them to hate you enough to declare war.

-Using citadels to grab their territory.
-Deliberately failing at aggressive espionage against the Germans.
-Bribing City States allied with the Germans.
-Bribe other civilizations to declare war on the Germans.
-Aggressively spreading your empire's religion into Germany, if the German religion is at odds with your own.

I see the first two as being the easiest to pull off, because I always seem to have an excess of Great Generals, and it should be pretty easy to deliberately fail at espionage.

The others require a surplus of already scarce resources (gold or faith) to be practical, in my opinion.

I've never played Gods and Kings, but here are some ways to tank your diplomatic stance with the Germans, which is the only surefire way to get them to hate you enough to declare war.

-Using citadels to grab their territory.
-Deliberately failing at aggressive espionage against the Germans.
-Bribing City States allied with the Germans.
-Bribe other civilizations to declare war on the Germans.
-Aggressively spreading your empire's religion into Germany, if the German religion is at odds with your own.

I see the first two as being the easiest to pull off, because I always seem to have an excess of Great Generals, and it should be pretty easy to deliberately fail at espionage.

The others require a surplus of already scarce resources (gold or faith) to be practical, in my opinion.

Most of this is great advice, though in GnK it's actually quite tough to espionage fail, assuming you mean get a spy killed by trying to steal a tech. It'll probably take 20-30 turns to do it, and then they may not have a spy there, and even then it probably (2/3 chanceish) won't work. It relies on it being at least the reneissance, and even then it'll probably be at least industrial before he'll keep one at home (depending on his tech level). If you can do it, though, it'd certainly work :). If he has a CS ally it'd be easier to sabotage or fail a coup, but I'm not sure that gives a diplo penalty.

All the other suggestions are great.

You can't permnently take a religion out of the game, unless you take over its holy city, convert all of its cities and make sure there's anough pressure on the holy city for it to never come back. note inquisitors cannot be used outside your own territory, and will not alter pressure permanently so the above suggestions is a temporary fix.

Good clarification. I assumed that what the OP meant when he said he "took out" Ghandi was that he had puppeted Ghandi's holy city, in which case that would be "in territory" for inquisitor purposes, but shouldn't assume. ;)

Good clarification. I assumed that what the OP meant when he said he "took out" Ghandi was that he had puppeted Ghandi's holy city, in which case that would be "in territory" for inquisitor purposes, but shouldn't assume. ;)

I actually took over the holy city and did not puppet it.

If you have a better military than the AI, it is hard to make him DoW you.

Best option is to eliminate much of your military to make you appear to be a weak target.

Also, proximity is a major factor. Settle a bunch of cities near him. That will often entice him to DoW you.

Also make ridiculously outrageous demands like for all his gold or luxury resources; even all his cities. Repeatedly demand it over and over again like 10 times. I believe you take a diplomacy hit for making demands like that every time you do it. It should tank your relations in the fastest way possible.

Top Bottom