Playing as Celts, gifted a Keshik by City State

Chee

Warlord
See above. Is this a bug? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I haven't played CiV for a long time (just bought G+K).

It was actually possible to be gifted the Keshik in Vanilla (though I believe there it was a bug).

In G&K, however, military city states can gift any UU. I believe at the start of the game each military city state is assigned a UU from a civ not in the game.

You can mouse over "militaristic" on the city-state screen to see what UU you can get from it. You can get any UU of any civ NOT in the game. To get the UU, you must have researched the tech for it, but you are not guaranteed to get it even if you have the tech. I once got a Mohawk warrior in the industrial age...:crazyeye:

Since we are on the topic of gifting stuff.. Aren't Militaristic CS supposed to gift you an advanced unit compared to your own or at least from the same Era?
For example I had games where CS will give me tanks, when I had none and was researching the tech for it.But in a recent game a CS gave me Legions by the time I had Longswordsmen. Sure I could upgrade them but why not give me , I don't know , Samurai maybe :)

This question crops up nearly every week, drops off the board after being answered and then gets asked again by somebody else who didn't see the previous post.

Maybe we should have it 'stickied'? :)

It was actually possible to be gifted the Keshik in Vanilla (though I believe there it was a bug).

No, it wasn't a bug in the vanilla game either. It was just less explicitly clear. Now it's pretty clear if you look at the right tool-tip, so I'm bemused that these threads pop up twice a week (the last one is on page 2).

No, it wasn't a bug in the vanilla game either. It was just less explicitly clear. Now it's pretty clear if you look at the right tool-tip, so I'm bemused that these threads pop up twice a week (the last one is on page 2).

So sticky a thread titlled "City states gift UU not a bug"

Who reads sticky threads?

This question crops up nearly every week, drops off the board after being answered and then gets asked again by somebody else who didn't see the previous post.

Maybe we should have it 'stickied'? :)

Yeah, seriously. Although some of these threads get really big because everyone just has to talk about that awesome time they got gifted "insert UU here" (as if it hasn't happened to everyone else) and all that jazz.....yet there's always someone who didn't notice......

You can mouse over "militaristic" on the city-state screen to see what UU you can get from it. You can get any UU of any civ NOT in the game. To get the UU, you must have researched the tech for it, but you are not guaranteed to get it even if you have the tech. I once got a Mohawk warrior in the industrial age...:crazyeye:

If you are allied with them, and you have the tech for it, you will ALWAYS only get that unit until it is obsolete.

I wouldn't say it was definitely not a bug in Vanilla. It was the only UU a city state could gift in Vanilla.

Granted, you needed to activate city states gifting Great People, and then I assume it chose from the whole pool of possible Great People.

There was no real indication that the fact that pool didn't exclude the one UU Great Person wasn't simply an oversight, considering the regular unit gift pool excluded UUs.

turingmachine said:
I wouldn't say it was definitely not a bug in Vanilla. It was the only UU a city state could gift in Vanilla.

Granted, you needed to activate city states gifting Great People, and then I assume it chose from the whole pool of possible Great People.

There was no real indication that the fact that pool didn't exclude the one UU Great Person wasn't simply an oversight, considering the regular unit gift pool excluded UUs.

Sounds like you're referring to the gifting of Khan.
Louis was answering to the gifting of Keshik.

In my current game as I was attacking Amsterdam....a Mehal Sefari unit suddenly showed up under Dutch colours...obviously a gift from one of William's CS buddies. I was a little concerned about this, but I was able to eliminate the unit within a couple of turns with Rocket Artillery....

I didn't get the impression this unit was displaying any of its "unique abilities"...but I might be wrong...???

^ Well, if you're firing Rocket Artillery at it, it's kind of hard to tell the difference.

I think you're thinking of Khans. They may or may not have been a bug. But there were people reporting getting other UUs besides Keshiks (or Khans) in vanilla. It was from a later patch, but it was happening.

Top Bottom