Installing Dune Wars and Installation Issues

Greetings guyz. Funny problem got to admit:
Can't get the download started at all. I follow the link on the welcome page that leads me to a mediafire one but the status just keeps showing "Your download is starting.." for an hour now (left it in the background to see if anything happens). Can anyone confirm this link is still valid? Stopped my antivirus, tried the link under IE and Mozilla, even tried manually saving it via download manager... nothing...
Thanks.

I follow the link on the welcome page that leads me to a mediafire one but the status just keeps showing "Your download is starting.." for an hour now.

I have occasionally had this trouble with mediafire before. This seems to happen when I have a partly downloaded file with the same name already. For example, if I am going to download foo.exe into "My Documents", but there is already a foo.exe in My Documents. This could be a random coincidence or a previous download or whatever. You should delete the old file first or save to a new name.

But to make things a little more complicated, the mediafire downloader appears to cache this information somehow. It is not ideal, but what I have done to make this work is to delete the previous file, exit the browser, and come back in an hour. Then the download works. I don't understand why any of this happens, and my procedure may be some unrelated "voodoo" like washing your car to make it rain.

There was no previous file at all but actually I managed to start it now... Maybe mediafire had some problems, dunno. Thanks anyway. Will write again after I finish some games at the new 1.7, probably Ix and Atreides as they seem to have the major changes.

I have the Steam version of Civ4: BtS, which is patch 3.19 according to everything, but the Dune Wars installer doesn't recognise it as BtS 3.19 and refuses to install.

I think until we resolve the Steam issues we should upload a simple ZIP file with the mod in it for Steam users. Quite a large % of players will be Steam users these days and it is a shame that it is tricky for them for to install and enjoy the mod. The 7zip workaround is fair amount of hassle...

I have the box version of Civ4: BtS, which is patch 3.19 according to everything, but the Dune Wars 1.7 installer doesn't recognise it as BtS 3.19 and refuses to install.
Downloading the zip file now :confused:
Edit: Done & doesn't work. It starts like vanilla BtS, but have the option Unload Mod. Unloaded and Load Mod again. Same. Wanted to start a save from Pick Your Leader Challenge zip file -> CtD with error message in a pop-up window, but it closed automatically and so quick I couldn't catch it.
Tried double click on the save file, starts like BtS, offers to pick a BtS leader -> CtD like before.
Any idea? Please help :cry:

I have the box version of Civ4: BtS, which is patch 3.19 according to everything, but the Dune Wars 1.7 installer doesn't recognise it as BtS 3.19 and refuses to install.
Downloading the zip file now :confused:

There is also a report of this occuring in LoR's thread. I can't see how it's possible, but it must be, as the user that reported it in LoR can play version 0.9.7, so they must be updated. In your case please make sure you are updated to 3.19 though, assuming you can totally verify this (if you remember patching that's not verified, sometimes the 3.19 patch messes up, tells the user they are patched, but then does not update), could you please see the end of this thread, and upload the information in your Firaxis's registry as described by Emperor Fool (one of the last posts in that thread):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=340727

Firaxis's installer also has a problem with messed up registries, and in fact has similar problems with users being unable to patch their games, you can see these in the tech help forum. So the fact this installer does this isn't that bizarre. However we will endeavor to fix this so that the installer works correctly for ALL users. To do this I need the help from people like yourself that have experienced an error, so that we can examine what in your installation is different in the registry. Your help would be invaluable and greatly appreciated.

I just added a screenshot of the registry to my previous post.
The exported part:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"
"DEFAULT_LANGUAGE"=dword:00000009

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]
"INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\Firaxis Games\\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\\Beyond the Sword"
"DEFAULT_LANGUAGE"=dword:00000009

Oh, wierd, it's using HKCU(current user) instead of HKLM (Local Machine). Do you have a HKLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) registry for firaxis at all?

Thanks alot by the way. If you do find a HKLM registry for firaxis please post it, if not I think I can solve this pretty easily.

Thanks. So basically your version key is only in the HKCU (current user) section (I wonder if this means the patch is only installed for you -and other users on your computer would play an unpatched version of BtS :confused:), that seems weird but OK. Could you please post your HKCU firaxis registry entries again and just leave up the HKLM ones, I need these for reference when I go in to code this check in the install script. Next all I need is to see what a Steam User comes up with and I can update the installer and fix this.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.00.0000]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.61]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.74]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.01]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword\3.19]

I think until we resolve the Steam issues we should upload a simple ZIP file with the mod in it for Steam users. Quite a large % of players will be Steam users these days and it is a shame that it is tricky for them for to install and enjoy the mod. The 7zip workaround is fair amount of hassle...

Actually I did upload the zipfile a couple of days ago with instructions. Please revisit the download page for 1.7 to see. According to the mediafire statistics page, there are 170 downloads of the 1.7 exe and 24 downloads of the 1.7 zip.

As you know, usually we do several patch releases like 1.7.1, 1.7.2 before the next major release, and the patch release uses a different installer. Phungus420 has also contributed a new patch installer which checks to make sure that Mods/Dune Wars/Dune Wars.ini exists. This will prevent another common error, where somebody installs the patch without ever having installed the main release.

@ Phungus420, does the patch installer also insist on a 3.19 registry key?

No the patch script doesn't look for BtS at all. It looks for your mod's registry, which the installer creates since you use my install script, then uses that registry to find the install path and double checks by making sure the mod's ini file is there. It will abort as well if it can't find the mod's registry and it's ini file. Since I wrote the installer, I know what Registry will be for the mod though, so a similar error cannot occur.

Edit: Done & doesn't work. It starts like vanilla BtS, but have the option Unload Mod. Unloaded and Load Mod again. Same. Wanted to start a save from Pick Your Leader Challenge zip file -> CtD with error message in a pop-up window, but it closed automatically and so quick I couldn't catch it.
Tried double click on the save file, starts like BtS, offers to pick a BtS leader -> CtD like before.

If you bring up the game and you get the vanilla BTS screen, then something has gone wrong with the install, such as unzipping the zipfile into the wrong directory. I suppose you have a copy of 1.6.1+1.6.5 saved somewhere, please do not break that. But please try the following.

1. Delete directory ...BTS...\mods\Dune Wars
2. Unzip the zipfile into ...BTS...\mods
3. Check that ...BTS...\mods\Dune Wars\Dune Wars.ini exists
4. Check your file My Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword\civilizationiv.ini. It should have a line like, "Mod = mods\Dune Wars"

If you bring up the game and you get the vanilla BTS screen, then something has gone wrong with the install, such as unzipping the zipfile into the wrong directory. I suppose you have a copy of 1.6.1+1.6.5 saved somewhere, please do not break that.
I renamed it.

But please try the following.

1. Delete directory ...BTS...\mods\Dune Wars
2. Unzip the zipfile into ...BTS...\mods
3. Check that ...BTS...\mods\Dune Wars\Dune Wars.ini exists
Done

4. Check your file My Documents\My Games\Beyond The Sword\civilizationiv.ini. It should have a line like, "Mod = mods\Dune Wars"
No. I just used the desktop icon of the previous version. Should be fine. It starts:
"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Dune Wars

It still loading like this. You can see Dune Wars in top right corner and Unload Mod in the menu

I renamed back the 1.6.5 to Mods\Dune Wars and it doesn't want to work either. It seems I did something wrong :(
I go back and re-install.

No the patch script doesn't look for BtS at all. It looks for your mod's registry, which the installer creates since you use my install script, then uses that registry to find the install path and double checks by making sure the mod's ini file is there. It will abort as well if it can't find the mod's registry and it's ini file. Since I wrote the installer, I know what Registry will be for the mod though, so a similar error cannot occur.

Hm, that is bad news. Because the main installer is failing for steam registry and possibly other types, I have posted a zip file which does not use the installer. Everybody who uses the zip file to install the main release will be unable to install a patch using the patch installer.

Fortunately, we have a little time to think about this since I have no immediate plan for 1.7.1. That is to say, there will definitely be a 1.7.1 release at some time, but I do not have a specific date in mind. So it will be at least a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom