What should go into Civ 5 ASAP, as well as a new method of air combat

Mike III

King Mike III
For air combat, it should be like civilization revolution. Planes move like regular ground units, but must refuel. SAMS or AA guns are the only units that can threaten them besides other fighters. Planes can attack ground units normally, and all planes have the ability to work like they do now, bombing cities from their base.
Next, there should be 2 new wonders and corporations like those in civ 4. The first new wonder is The Three Gorges Dam, where the city gets a free Hydro Plant and free great Engineer when built. The next one should be Hollywood, providing 10 happiness, 2 free great artists, and 4 happiness for every theater.:mischief:

I'd like to see a refueling station as a build-able tile, to allow refueling outside of one's borders.

Perhaps require no enemies to be near it for it to function.

I just get annoyed when pressured to found an entirely new city for such trivial things.

I like the way some of the air mechanics work as is but there does need to be some modification for everyone's sanity as well as a more realistic functionality.

- Keep movement for air units the same. I don't see F-15's rolling down my interstate. They should continue to exist in bases only unless on the attack/defense or flying to another base.

- However, should be the ability to construct Airbases both inside and outside one's territory. Should cost maintenance. Unlocked upon discover of Radar.

- Change air mechanics so that only units from Modern-Information Era can defend themselves from air attack. No way in hell i'm bombing a pikeman with my B-2 stealth bomber from 40,000 feet and i'm getting damaged. If there is a huge tech disparity within a game I see no logical reason to give completely unfounded combat abilities to people who haven't caught up yet. European invasion of the New World anyone?

- However, I would give the option, post-flight, of a Air Defense promotion for those Civ's that haven't upgraded their units just yet. The Taliban fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan back in the 80's with CIA issued Stinger anti-air missiles is a great example that with the right effort/money forces who lacked the technology personally could still use it effectively.

- The Air Defense promotion could be used by advanced units as well instead of a general ranged defense or cover promotion. Gives similar cover, but damages aircraft more. Not sure if this promotion should be targeted by the air-sweep ability that goes after specialized defenses. But it probably should be for balancing reasons. Otherwise, I would just crank out a carpet of air-defense upgraded doom and laugh at everything the other civ could throw at me short of nukes.

Getting away from air-combat, some I really wished they brought back from Civ3

- Colonies - Allows you to utilize a Strategic or Luxury Resource outside your Civ's boundaries. Constructed by / Consumes a worker. Should also cost gpt to maintain and maybe even a upfront cost based on distance. I'm surprised this wasn't in the game to start because of the policy / happiness mechanic to check your traditional city growth and spamming. Could possibly have a restriction on how many you could use, maybe cap it at 3 or equal to number of owned cities for balancing. And the colony would be removed if you another Civ founds an actual city in the area.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom