Quick Questions and Answers

Does removing victory conditions mess with the AI?

I need to learn how to fight wars and profit from them. I'm just on my third game of Civ 5 so I turned off everything but Domination so I could focus on warfare.
Will the AI play as if all victory conditions was viable? Or will they understand that they need to fight to win?

If a Militaristic CS have Barracks and similar buildings, would the units they gift benefit from it? I don't usually ally City-states of that type but the few times I did, they always arrive at 0XP. If it's possible, are there ways where I can help them contruct the buildings? Would they use cash gifts to build anything?

Also I have other CS related questions. If the tech progress of CS are based on those of major civs, do the CSs receive the techs equally, like if one have Biology, so do the rest?

If a CS is giving away UUs, do I only need to know the tech or should they also know it? I have suspicion it's the former cause in a Korea game a CS kept gifting me XCOM Squad when (it seem) that the other civs have not progressed that far yet.

Sorry for the multiple questions, they are all related so I decided to ask them all in one go.

If a Militaristic CS have Barracks and similar buildings, would the units they gift benefit from it? I don't usually ally City-states of that type but the few times I did, they always arrive at 0XP. If it's possible, are there ways where I can help them contruct the buildings? Would they use cash gifts to build anything?

Also I have other CS related questions. If the tech progress of CS are based on those of major civs, do the CSs receive the techs equally, like if one have Biology, so do the rest?

If a CS is giving away UUs, do I only need to know the tech or should they also know it? I have suspicion it's the former cause in a Korea game a CS kept gifting me XCOM Squad when (it seem) that the other civs have not progressed that far yet.

Sorry for the multiple questions, they are all related so I decided to ask them all in one go.

I just looked in to see if my Q got A'ed. I don't have solid answers but I can tell you what I have seen.

I have never received a gift unit from a CS that had any XP, I've never seen or heard of a way to change that.

I have been way ahead on techs and been gifted a unit that was way ahead of my tech. I didn't have Knights yet and received Cavalry, I know none of the other civs had the tech, but the CS did. I was pleasantly surprised.

Greetings,

First of all I would like to apologize if this question has been asked before. I would like to know if it is possible to use the unique units/leaders from the different scenarios during a regular game. I presume the answer is no unless you use a mod but I think some of the unique units are really awesome and I really hoped I have overlooked the option that enables you to use them.

Shashka

If I complete a National Wonder and then found/annex another city, do I lose the benefits of the already-built National Wonder?

Questions I have not answered here may need to be posted as new thread in the General Discussions forum.

If a Militaristic CS have Barracks and similar buildings, would the units they gift benefit from it? I don't usually ally City-states of that type but the few times I did, they always arrive at 0XP. If it's possible, are there ways where I can help them construct the buildings? Would they use cash gifts to build anything?

The units I get from CS have XP about half the time. I am not sure what is the pattern, but it seems be correlated to how many of my cities have the armory building.

They track each other pretty closely, but not exactly. CS are not good at upgrading units, and they also often lack resources.

The UU and units are based on your technology progress.

If I complete a National Wonder and then found/annex another city, do I lose the benefits of the already-built National Wonder?

Nope, once built, the NW keep working. It is pretty common to hold off founding/annexing until a NW is complete.

Greetings,

First of all I would like to apologize if this question has been asked before. I would like to know if it is possible to use the unique units/leaders from the different scenarios during a regular game. I presume the answer is no unless you use a mod but I think some of the unique units are really awesome and I really hoped I have overlooked the option that enables you to use them.

Shashka

Sorry, no -- only with a mod.

The units I get from CS have XP about half the time. I am not sure what is the pattern, but it seems be correlated to how many of my cities have the armory building.

They track each other pretty closely, but not exactly. CS are not good at upgrading units, and they also often lack resources.

The UU and units are based on your technology progress.

I've received 100's of units from CS, I've never seen one with any promotion, ever. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I have many times received units from CS that were well beyond my tech level. I gave a specific example in my previous post.

For good measure I'll re-ask this question.

When selecting random map at setup does the game just select the map type (continents, archipelago...) or are the variables available in advanced setup (Sea level, Climate, Rain Fail, Age of the earth) also randomized?

Why I ask: I just used random map for the first time and got fractal but half the map is desert.

Spoiler :

How come I have the option in the above picture to build an observatory when there isn't a mountain nearby? I've the Rock of Gibraltar 2 tiles to the southeast but that is all. Here's a broader pic:

Spoiler :

No - not as long as the National wonder is finished.

If you found a new city during the building of the National Wonder, the construction gets halted.

I've received 100's of units from CS, I've never seen one with any promotion, ever. Maybe I'm just unlucky. I have many times received units from CS that were well beyond my tech level. I gave a specific example in my previous post.

It is interesting to me that we have opposite experiences on these two points! I am still on GnK, could that be difference? I think it would have been memorable if I were ever gifted a unit beyond my current tech, or maybe I'm just unlucky there. I only just started paying attention to maximize UU gift opportunities, and that is clearly based on the players tech progress. Also, I overstated how often I get experienced units, as it's much lest half the time, and always something of a treat, but nothing that struck me as unusual. I have been prioritizing militaristic CS allies lately, so I will try paying more attention to this.

When selecting random map at setup does the game just select the map type (continents, archipelago...) or are the variables available in advanced setup (Sea level, Climate, Rain Fail, Age of the earth) also randomized? I just used random map for the first time and got fractal but half the map is desert.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this question, and I suggest creating a new thread with the question, as I think it could lead to a discussion. But a standard fractal map having lots and lots of desert is not beyond the RNG. I have seen that.

How come I have the option in the above picture to build an observatory when there isn't a mountain nearbyadjacent? I've the Rock of Gibraltar 2 tiles to the southeast but that is all.

RoG is infamous for having a bugged rendering. It is actually two tiles, the second hex of which is a “regular” mountain (but often rendered flat). Can you actually move a unit onto the “forest” hex between RoG and your city? I have only seen the second tile horizontal with RoG, so please report back, as this may be a new bug.

If you mouse hover on that tile, the tooltip will probably say it is a mountain tile (flat mountain with forest -- whatever....).

Assuming that is the case, that mountain tile is enough to allow you build an observatory.

If you mouse hover on that tile, the tooltip will probably say it is a mountain tile (flat mountain with forest -- whatever....).

Assuming that is the case, that mountain tile is enough to allow you build an observatory.

To visually confirm its mountain state toggle into strategic view (F10) and it will show its mountain-ness.

How to trade units plot their routes? Do they automatically avoid conlict areas, even if you are not a belligerent? Would suck if your trade route goes through the territory of a Civ that is at war and their enemy started to attack all passing caravans.

Are these routes affected by technologies, for example would cargo ships not be able to enter ocean without Astronomy? I've noticed some Civ's cargo ships being restricted to coast tiles when there are profittable targets within range that's just separated by a few ocean tiles.

Finally, are there ways to block or restrict movement of trade units? They don't require open borders right, but can they be blocked like military and civilian units? I asked this because I'm planning to play a TSL map (mostly Continent player) and I'm wondering if propping a city at the tip of Iberia to control the Strait of Gibraltar would be useful.

I think they just go the shortest route. So if the civ you want to trade with is at war you might want to send your cargo ships somewhere else.

As far as I know you can't block trade routes, but having a city at Gibraltar should give plenty of targets to raid.

I have a question about trade routes myself. When you raid someones trade route and you get Xgp, is X taken from the owner or does it just appear?

It just appears. the injury to the owner is loss of the trade route unit (caravan or cargo ship) and its flow of gold and beakers.

I think they just go the shortest route. So if the civ you want to trade with is at war you might want to send your cargo ships somewhere else.

As far as I know you can't block trade routes, but having a city at Gibraltar should give plenty of targets to raid.

Thanks. I totally forgot about plundering. I've read somewhere that trade routes automatically plundered by declaration of war grants no gold but then again if the AI have plenty of TRs passing through the strait, it might hesitate declaring war.

Top Bottom