Demi-God Madness!

Vind2

Woof?
I've been looking foward to this for a long time. My first demi-god game :eek: ! I'm pretty comfortable on Emperor. Advice is greaty apreciated. Please feel free to critize my game play and don't accept my lmae excusses. And remind me when I'm being a complete smacktard.
Settings:

Standard
No Barbs
Continents
70%
Temperate
Normal
5 Billion

Civ: Iroquois

Opponents:
Inca
Japanese
Sumerains
Spanish

The Start:

I like the start. Update soming soon

Update number 1!!

My empire is coming along nicely with a 4 turn settler factory. I have the Inca and Japs on my continent. I start to build my empire even more.

The Japs and the Inca seem to be at war, withlots of units killing each other. Thats just good for me, wasted shields for them.

But a freakin Inca settler pair beats me to the only lux in sights; Ivory. I would hate for them to get ACs. So you know what has to be done: I spot an Incan settler heading through my lands. I take the oportunity.

I have spent some time preparing for war so I should grab a couple cities. My culture s**ks so flipping will be a problem.

I achieve my primary objectives.

I've triggered my GA so productions is up. I grab 3 more cities (not in pics) and I cut their iron. They have feudalism already!

so, I don't know what your win condition is... but with that start, you could make 2 4 turn settler factories and a 2 turn worker factory.

And it looks like you are building some regular mounted warriors... not sure why.

I know why you went BW/IW, but as the iroquois, I would normally go for writing right away - the AI will get BW and IW for you.

Looks interesting so far. I've only won on DG a few times, so I'll be following this one closely. A few questions:

1. What kind of victory are you aiming for?
2. What are your goals in your war against the Inca? Are you trying to wipe them out or just weaken them and maybe get techs for peace?
3. What's your research strategy? Since you're researching Lit right now, are you going to try to build the GLib? If so, you should start a prebuild now and either leave the Inca around or build some suicide curraghs/galleys and look for the other continent. In addition, I'd recommend moving the science slider up and the lux slider down if possible. Might as well get the most out of your GA.
4. Can you post a 4000bc save file? I'd like to see what I can do with that start.

Other than that, I can only echo and amplify what AutomatedTeller posted earlier. Beelining for Philosophy (with CoL as the free tech) usually works for me on DG with a commercial civ and no barbs. Techs like BW, IW, and the Wheel are best acquired through trade since they are high priorities for the AI. Also, irrigating the three cows and building a city 3 NW of Salamanca would've given you two 4-turn settler pumps (after mining a few BGs), and Niagara Falls could serve as a worker pump (irrigate one wheat, mine the other, mine some BGs).

I hope some of this helps (though you might have played well ahead already), and I look forward to your next update. :hammer: the Inca in the meatime.

this is demi-god, so it's conquests, so the iroquois are agricultural. Which means that you can get a settler factory with just 1 irrigated cow (assuming you can find the shields). You have 2 cows and 2 wheat right near the start point, which can potentially be 4 factories, but I don't think you can get a city near fresh water for the 4th.

It would have required some tight spacing right around the capitol, but the number of settlers (and workers, later) would help a lot.

@AutomatedTeller:
this is demi-god, so it's conquests, so the iroquois are agricultural. Which means that you can get a settler factory with just 1 irrigated cow (assuming you can find the shields).

True, but for the second settler factory I was thinking of, you'd need to irrigate both the grassland cow and the plains cow since there's no fresh water at that spot. The grassland 3 SW of Salamanca would also work but would need a higher population to start with (4 instead of 3; maybe 5 if there's waste), thus requiring more use of the lux slider. Of course, the plains cow wasn't visible in the 3000bc screenshot.

@Vind2:
It's a little late for settler factories now, but a worker pump might still be helpful if you're low on workers. Speaking of which, it might be good to tell us how many of each unit you have in your next update, as well as where your research stands. The more information you provide, the more useful any advice you get will be.

Well here it is. This has been a long update to play the frustration of flipps and the RNG really hates me. Well let the update being :D O yeah my goal is conquest. Hopefully i will control my continnet soon enough.

Here is my unit count. The RNG explains my small army.

This is the central front. Lots of enimy MIs attacking through here. Only source of iron is there.

This is the eastern front. The RNG smiles on me and i get a leader.

UPDATED

I succeed in capturing the city. I've lost 10+ MW to that SoB of a city.

My troops are running thin and peace for now is the best option. Get all those techs + 2 workers.

I have 25 slaves.

Overall this update I took 3 cities (4 if you count all the flips). My culture is so low i need to raise there cities. Over the next 20 turns I'm going to finish the SoZ. With any luck I will get the TGL. I plann to gift it away if i need to catch up in techs.

Nice work! :goodjob: That was quite a few techs the Inca coughed up. In a recent game, I had the Dutch down to one city on a 2-tile island, and they wouldn't give me one tech for peace! Of course, it was a monopoly tech, so that might explain it.

So what's the plan now? I assume that settler you're building in St. Regis will be claiming the gems NE of Akwesasne. Do the Japanese also have Construction? If so, do you have any techs to trade for it?

You've got 11 workers and 25 slaves. That should be enough for 16 cities, but a few more wouldn't hurt. Also, if you can spare the workers, you might consider mining the plains tiles with sugar; IIRC you don't get surplus food from those until you're out of despotism.

I'm sure you'll be rebuilding your military as well. Do you plan to rely on MWs and ACs until you get Cavalry, or do you want to get knights? I'd suggest getting knights if you're having bad RNG luck with your mounties, but try to trade for Monotheism and Chivalry rather than researching them yourself.
Of course, if you can get them from TGL, that's better still.

Speaking of which, how's the prebuild coming along? How many spt is Grand River producing? What will you build if the AI beats you to TGL?

Thanks for posting the save, BTW. And good luck.

EDIT: Never mind about the knights; those are kinda hard to build without iron! :lol:

Looks good so far, I think after a 20 turn rebuild you should be able to take more away from the Inca.

Or, as part of the peace treaty renegotiation make them ally against Japan.

Or, as part of the peace treaty renegotiation make them ally against Japan.

Marsden, if Japan is wiped out in less than 20 turns, would he automatically be at war with the Inca? I know that can happen when a resource deal that's part of a treaty gets broken (e.g. by a trade route being cut), but I don't know whether a broken alliance would do the same thing.

Actually, you are correct, but it would keep them fighting right through unless they break the alliance, which would break the peace treaty. The Japanese didn't look that weak to me, though.

Marsden said:
Actually, you are correct, but it would keep them fighting right through unless they break the alliance, which would break the peace treaty. The Japanese didn't look that weak to me, though.

If they lack iron, they might be that weak, but I can't tell from the screenshots. I think I see a spearman in Izumo, though, so either they don't have iron or they haven't upgraded the spearman or built a pikeman there yet. Of course, if they do have it, Vind2 will likely be facing samurai in 20 turns, so Japan could take quite a while to conquer in that case.

Keep up with that scool work! We'll be here.

BTW, good job on your HoF games.

Top Bottom