[MOD] More Naval AI

v1.51 and the new DLL file.

Orthus was killed early in the game by a rival. As of turn 262, I have killed him 6 more times minus his axe.

Orthus was killed early in the game by a rival. As of turn 262, I have killed him 6 more times minus his axe.

I saw this happen once before. I'll bet that Acheron's city is near the Tomb of Secullus and the Sons are casting Resurrection. Not sure why they get to do it multiple times though. I guess the code wasn't set up to handle the Barbs casting high-level spells. I'll look into it.

I saw this happen once before. I'll bet that Acheron's city is near the Tomb of Secullus and the Sons are casting Resurrection. Not sure why they get to do it multiple times though. I guess the code wasn't set up to handle the Barbs casting high-level spells. I'll look into it.

Yep, Acheron and the Tomb are within a tile or two.

The Sons of the Inferno actually leave the city? I've never once seen them leave the city with Acheron in, even after killing him.

The Sons of the Inferno actually leave the city? I've never once seen them leave the city with Acheron in, even after killing him.

No. They stay in the city still. But if any mana nodes are connected to Acheron's city, they'll take the related spell upgrades as promotions. So, for example, if they're near the Standing Stones, you'll see them summoning Earth Elementals as well as Fire Elementals. In this case, they had access to Life mana, so some of them end up with Resurrrection.

But I thought resurrection could only be cast while on a graveyard...

Resurrection cast on a graveyard gives you Champions (or was it Hosts of the Einherjar? I almost never do this). Cast everywhere else, it resurrects your civ's hero - thus, for the Barbarians, Orthus.

Tholal, how exactly did you modify the AI choices for religions (I did not try v1.5 yet)? Also, does "Changes to the AI calculations for producing Mages and Priests units" means that the AI will produce more of them, or less?

Tholal, how exactly did you modify the AI choices for religions (I did not try v1.5 yet)?

Couple of things. There was a function where the AI would decide to switch its Favorite Religion periodically. I decided that this was the likely cause of frequent religion switching, so I axed that function and reworked the Religion value function to incorporate some of the code from the deleted function.

Here's an overview of how it works now for determining a value for each Religion:

* If you have an Altar of any level and the religion is Evil, return a value of 0

Otherwise,
  • Base value = Religion level (not exactly sure what this is. Percentage of spread?)
  • + population count for every city with this religion
  • If you have Holy City multiply value * 3/2
  • If Religion Hero 1 hasn't been built, multiply value * 5/4
  • If Religion Hero 2 hasn't been built, multiply value * 4/3
  • If the Religion alignment is the same as your alignment, multiply value * 10/9
  • If this is your Favorite Religion, multiply value * 2
  • And finally, multiply the value *100 + the ReligionWeightModifier for the Leader, and then divide the whole thing by 100

It took some finagling to finally come up with these values, and I would love to hear some feedback on the process, especially if there is something I missed. I do want to add some value if you have units that will abandon you on religion switch, but I haven't worked out how I want to do that yet.

Also, does "Changes to the AI calculations for producing Mages and Priests units" means that the AI will produce more of them, or less?

Well hopefully they'll make just the right amount! ;)

I made some adjustments to deciding how many of each the AI wants, and I also modified my code in the city production function code so that it fits a little better with how the existing code is designed.

A little feedback on the religion tweaking.

I founded the first religion, FoL, can't remember what turn. All the other civs immediately converted as FoL rapidly spread on it's own. I sent one Disciple out to a rival's city and did build Song of Autumn. Easy Religious Victory on turn 199. RoK was also researched by another civ but never spread beyond a city or two.

Hello, I notice that this mod includes a merge of the Better AI mod for BTS, and that the Better AI mod itself from version 1.0 onwards claims that 'Attack stacks pick sea vs land path based on approximate length

I know that the standard Erebus map script is largely unusable due the AIs inability to send units between two areas of the same landmass that are connected via water but not land due to a wall of mountains, due to it not thinking to use naval units when the destination is connected by land. Does the above indicate that the AI in this mod will calculate that it is 'quicker' (i.e. will not take an infinite time) to take a sea path, leading to this map finally being playable?

I hope that what I have said above makes sense :)

I know that the standard Erebus map script is largely unusable due the AIs inability to send units between two areas of the same landmass that are connected via water but not land due to a wall of mountains

It should be better. It won't be great. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

And I recommend trying out the Erebus Continents mapscript instead. It's much more fun.

I founded the first religion, FoL, can't remember what turn. All the other civs immediately converted as FoL rapidly spread on it's own. I sent one Disciple out to a rival's city and did build Song of Autumn. Easy Religious Victory on turn 199. RoK was also researched by another civ but never spread beyond a city or two.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't mind an early Religious victory as long as it isn't a common occurrence. That being said, it does seem that the AI can be a little too static when it comes to switching religions, so I'll probably try out a few tweaks for the next release.

Yeah I usually use Erebus continents, but I like to change it up a bit sometimes. Erebus reminds me of the world in WOW, with it's terrain in different valleys, so it's strangely nostalgic haha.

I wonder how is the AI in this mod compared to AI in wildmana? Thanks in advance.

Since v1.51 was released I have noticed that AI civs are being destroyed by barbs early in a game more so than in past. Running the same settings. It's fine by me. Just an observation. Orthus took me out early one game.

TXT_KEY_UNIT_IN_COMBAT_EXPLODE or something similar appears when you mouse over a Fireball. I lost a game where Basium and friends showed up to play for the first time ever. I was quickly overrun. How do you take on the Mercurians? Wow. I like the fact they adopted the Order (lore appropriate) and stuck with it. Probably had something to do with them being successful. The constant flip-flopping between FoL/RoK/OO in base FfH was annoying and played a role in them being useless IMHO.

TXT_KEY_UNIT_IN_COMBAT_EXPLODE or something similar appears when you mouse over a Fireball.

OK.

I lost a game where Basium and friends showed up to play for the first time ever. I was quickly overrun. How do you take on the Mercurians? Wow. I like the fact they adopted the Order (lore appropriate) and stuck with it. Probably had something to do with them being successful. The constant flip-flopping between FoL/RoK/OO in base FfH was annoying and played a role in them being useless IMHO.

The Mercurians are definitely a game-changer. Now if I could just figure out why Basium is always put on permanent city defense. Though maybe that's the best place for him to be after all.

I killed Basium a couple of times in base FfH many patches ago. He had the bad habit of wandering off by himself and getting into trouble. On the other hand, Hyborem would venture out and take part in combat but he took his minions with him.

I should really download this soon ...

also, where is the AI scripting done? I'd like to use some of your AI changes for some of my own Modmods, if I have both the technical ability and your permission of course.

(and internet ... darn u college-internet-account-buggery ... )

Mod looks great btw, I haven't tried it yet though.

Top Bottom