Maps of NESing V

This is now reasonably up to date; bunch of new maps in the front page.

I didn't want to share this back then, but am quite okay with it now, seeing as A Far Green Country is quite definitely dead:

Spoiler Abandoned Cradle Fresh Start (North King, Thlayli) :

And the homeworld of the Fehan from GalaxyNES (which I still do miss):

Spoiler Helan, GalaxyNES (North King) :

The fictional maps are not necessarily intended to be used so much as to serve as examples. I think it's poor form to use maps someone's used for another NES anyway.

I have been trying to make nice maps with as much realism as I could get from all sorts of helpful guides on the internet. This is my breaking super-continent map

Opinions and suggestions are welcome! I'm working on another one already too and would appreciate any notes.

Biome colors:
pink - tropical
dark green - monsoon
light yellowish green - Savannah
yellow - hot desert
gray - cold desert
normal green - kinds of boreal (from forested to less forested)
shiny green - tundra/little taiga, little grassland in the cold steppe
the small brownish south-west is cold kind of Mediterranean

If one looks close he will see there are two kinds of mountains, the taller are newer, formed by more recent tectonics, while the shorter are small very old mountains, no longer being formed by any tectonics, but that have not been destroyed by time yet.

Have fun, and feel free to use (and change) if you wish.

Attachments

• Map1.png
    Map1.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 211
  • map1biomes.png
    map1biomes.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 243
I feel like the mountains could use some work, it looks strange having lines of mountains just going straight across the continent.

The coasts look good in my opinion, think it would be very cool to see an NES based solely in the island spammed region in the east.

The coasts look good in my opinion, think it would be very cool to see an NES based solely in the island spammed region in the east.
My personal thought was a colonization NES where human colonists come to this planet and fight for its resources.

But sure, that jungle flood area would be cool.

Somehow this map reminds me of Arda in the First Age.

About "colonists fighting for resources on a hostile planet", I'm thinking of creating a NES in that style.

Alright, you have the overall shape of the coasts done well, and the minute details done well, what you need work on is the mid-level shapes and protrusions. What am I talking about?

Well, consider the Chesapeake, it doesn't really show up well when you're all the way zoomed out on the world map, but it's very significant regionally in the way a single smaller bay is. Similarly, consider Florida's peninsula in relation to the Southeast coast.

This is not to say you didn't do any, but rather they're sorely lacking or noticeably missing in several places, especially the Eastern subcontinent.

Then again, what do I know. :p

Quite a lot, Terrance, that's great advice.

Also, this tool has proved quite useful to me in the past couple of weeks.

What in particular about the map are you curious about?

Everything on it was done using GIMP.

And here I am again to ask you another question.

What is your process to get what is the shape of the map?

I use Photoshop and use the clouds filter, but I am seriously considering the GIMP.

:cheers:

Such an old thread, with mostly dead links.. I don't suppose anyone has @North King series of maps saved elsewhere?

I might have some of his maps stored away.

Top Bottom