News: TSG2 Announcement

As for food and rivers, keep in mind you dont need fresh water for farms in civ5. And buying the cow tile is possible when settling in place...nonetheless I'd focus on buying food from city states.
Fresh water gives +2 food with Civil Service but, more importantly, river tiles give +1 production later on. Settling in place is not an option because it's a hill and for some odd reason they have decided that if you settle on a hill, you cannot ever build a windmill. :confused:

Fresh water gives +2 food with Civil Service but, more importantly, river tiles give +1 production later on. Settling in place is not an option because it's a hill and for some odd reason they have decided that if you settle on a hill, you cannot ever build a windmill. :confused:
What tech gives river tiles +1 production?

You can also settle right on top the marble to get the +25% wonder production instantly (no masonry required).

P.S. I have a request for turning on Quick Combat for the next TSGs. It gets annoying watching all the slow combat animations play out.

Settling in place is not an option because it's a hill and for some odd reason they have decided that if you settle on a hill, you cannot ever build a windmill. :confused:

Oh my. I just read that the Spanish manual says the exact opposite: to build a windmill, the city must be on top of a hill. Makes more sense, but all other language versions say shouldn't. Has anyone checked this yet?

Edit: hmm, I just checked this myself with an industrial start. To build a windmill, the city must be on flat land. So the Spanish manual is wrong.

Is this correct? I recall reading that if you settle on a resource, you only receive it's benefits after the appropriate tech has been researched.

I got the info from some guy testing it out in the HoF forum. Not sure if this is supposed to be a bug or not.

I recently finished a space race game with Ramses on Emperor (save attached). This was my second attempt at Civ5 and the first game in Civ5 that I have finished. It was a piece of cake, really, and I had no idea what I was doing, basically fumbling through my second time in the game. I made all kinds of mistakes and finished late, and I was a little disappointed that I could beat the game on Emperor on only my second try. On the other hand, the game does look beautiful, and the aesthetic experience of the game is terrific. But I digress.

Anyway, a few observations that may be relevant to this King level game:

1) I was able to build all the wonders I wanted without marble (till late) or the 33% policy bonus (I pursued Liberty first). You can build any wonders you want with little difficulty on King. You can play a chill game and still do this. Not a problem.

2) Your only concern will be an AI invasion. They won't launch before you, even if you play a flawed fame. At least they didn't come remotely close in the game I played, and there were some peacemonger-type civs. A big question in the game is the right balance between size of military and cost effectiveness for the empire.

3) Keep you empire small at first so that you can build the science-friendly national wonders early. You need a library in each city early.

4) I recommend Liberty, then Commerce, then Rationalism for policy trees (though I am still a total beginner obviously and may very well revise this opinion). No need to fill out all the policies. Just take the ones that further your science the most quickly.

5) I recommend early Civil Service for the food bonus.

6) Don't attack any City States. The AI will hate you for a long time. The diplo penalty for attacking even a single city state is not something to be trifled with if you want a fast finish. I trifled, and it cost me more heartache than it was worth.

Hope this helps. Not sure if I will play this GOTM, since I just finished a very similar game on a harder difficulty level. I'm currently trying an Immortal-level game as the Iroqois, and it is much more challenging and interesting than the last one.

Attachments

• Egypt1.Civ5Save
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 135
It's correct. You even get a message about it. As well as two gold from the tile (i.e. one extra), but improving the tile normally gives more.
Allowing you to skip Masonry (or even Mining) and beeline to Edu with GLib pays out much more.

My opening for my games is always:

Tech: Pottery-> Calendar-> Writing-> (Mining->Masonry if necessary
I then decide if Im doing a Theology Slingshot or a Civil Service Slingshot

Build Order: Worker->Monument-> Stonehenge-> Library-> Great Library timed for my slingshot.

Allowing you to skip Masonry (or even Mining) and beeline to Edu with GLib pays out much more.
I don't know, there seems to be no real urgency. Science goes a lot faster than builds early on, and the marble tile makes for a poorer capital in the long run (more worthless ocean tiles).

Not really. Its not like there is a river nearby to really make you decide good start/bad start. Besides you start with 5 Hills and 2 Water resources which can be worked for 2:hammers: each once you get a Sea Port giving you a fairly decent Production Capital. Its not great (I managed to make a Production city that had 254:hammers: /Turn but its decent ~140:hammers: /Turn

How do I open the downloaded file and start playing the GOTM pls? I have never done so before.

Bub

Click on the save on the first page and it will let you save it. Save it anyway and move it to the single folder and it will be available as a save to load.

:wavey: Welcome to GOTM.

As vmxa says, click on the link in the first post and download the save to your computer, making note on where it is saved. You need to move the save file, by copy or cut and paste, to the folder that Civ5 uses to save your games. In a default install, that folder should be My Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization 5 > Saves > Single.

When you start the game, go to the single player menu and click on "Load game" and the save file should appear in the menu. Click and load and play.

Hope you have fun. :)

Top Bottom