Setting the Era in the Editor gives all the techs prior to that era

aeldrik

from CIV1 to infinity
here's a description of the bug, sorry but I'm not gonna create an extra scenario just to upload it here, I hope the explanations will be enough, otherwise use my WW2 scenario version 1,05 (link in the signature)

Here it is:

In the Scenario options of the Editor, one can preset the Era of every civ, and also set what techs the CIV starts with.... Problem is, when you set a civ to start with a certain Era, it automatically gets all the Techs prior to that Era, meaning if you want it to not have some not needed techs (example in the main game would be setting a CIV to Modern time but not wanting it to have advanced flight) it still gets it, which is a real pain in a scenario!!!!!

EDIT: now that I calmed down, I Edited the post and took out some of my comments...
thx to Catt for the help

Unless I'm mistaken, the era settings are really just a short hand way to give a civ all prior techs -- why not just *not use them,* and using SHFT and the scroll bar, give relevant civs all the techs up to the age and then simply uncheck a few optional techs that you want unchecked?

@ Catt: What I did was set the Era right for all civs, and then give them, one by one all the techs I wanted them to have (on a custom tech tree, the problem with not setting the Era is with the Graphics of the cities, I wanted all of the CIVs to have the same Graphic Eras.... I will check now If the game sets is all by itself when you load the scenario, but the Editor does not do it...

I will post here once I find out wether the game automaticaly adjust the Era if you don' preset it.... Still, I think Era and Techs should be separate things in the editor

I checked the scenario Help page, and it answered part of my question, but only increased the problem:
it states that all the techs of prior Eras will automatically be given
But it also states in the free techs part that all techs of an era not yet reached will not be given...
meaning, the problem is the same, I can't preset it so an AI has some techs of an Era, but still misses some of the previous era...
This option needs some fixing!!!

Originally posted by aeldrik
I checked the scenario Help page, and it answered part of my question, but only increased the problem:
it states that all the techs of prior Eras will automatically be given
But it also states in the free techs part that all techs of an era not yet reached will not be given...
meaning, the problem is the same, I can't preset it so an AI has some techs of an Era, but still misses some of the previous era...
This option needs some fixing!!!

What I'm saying is to ignore the era starts -- just leave that option untouched but manually select the starting techs for each civ. Note that "manually select" need not involve hundreds of clicks -- just select all until the modern era and then, when holding down CTRL, click on the few techs that you don't want them to have (i.e., Advanced Flight).

Catt, this is not possible, you can leave the tech tree untouched, but you have to select an era.... meaning if you don't touch it, the starting era will be ancient era.

also, when you create a new tech tree, the techs are added at the bottom, so you have to go and get them. More important, to make sure the CIVs don't change the Gov form, you also have to only give the tech for the goverment you want the civ to have... lots of thing need improving, but for most of them you can find a solution... just this one seems harder...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (and I've never created a new tech tree) -- if, when using the standard tech tree, I leave the start era as "ancient" but give civ all techs up until the modern age, the civ will use the graphics and enjoy all the play characteristics as if I had just selected the era as "modern" -- city graphics, leaderheads, etc. all operate using the modern era graphics since the civ in question knows all prior era required techs. By unchecking "Civilization Defaults," leaving the era at "ancient," and selecting techs, I can have a civ start in any era I like, use the correct graphics, and have all or less than all of previous optional techs -- in the screenshot below, Germany will start with modern era graphics, and can begin researching either the initial modern era techs or can research the optional Advanced Flight and Amphib Warfare if it chooses -- all despite the era start is left at "ancient."

Era starts is just a quick and easy way to give civs all prior techs -- if you want to give less than all prior techs, you need to ignore the era start option and select techs individually.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• era start screen.jpg
    era start screen.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 144
you're not missing anything, I think it is connected to my tech tree, I will have to check and set all the "not required for era" tags right, since if one is missing it changes the hole thing....

thx a lot for your help-.... seems the only problem at the end will be the fact that the graphics in the editor are not of the right era, but that's not really a big problem

Glad to help (if I did) - would hate to think you spent all that time customizing and then gave up the effort if there is a simple solution to the problem.

Top Bottom