Which victory conditions do you disable in BWN?

I tried setting it to diplomacy only... after nothing but constant wars with my neighbors I was "Nope".

I disable time. Haven't had it come down to time for months, but I don't like having the option on the table. Besides, someone would win by diplomacy EVENTUALLY.

Agree with Yzman--don't disable any of them. Part of the challenge of the game is to get the victory condition I want before the AI gets one of the others.

I agree with these 2 guys.

But for me, Once I start falling behind, it turns into a domination game anyway. Because you can;t tech, build a space ship, or generate culture when I've trapped you in a single city in the arctic. And since I'm a hated warmonger when I decide to Kill to Win, I just keep killing civs off while I can, since all my friends hate me.

Diplomatic victory is the most unrealistic of the options in BNW. The winner is the civ (AI or human) who can buy the most city state votes. I disable time because I like to delay reaching victory conditions to achieve something else before winning.

Civ is a game, which needs a winner and losers. If I could just always vote no, why even have the mechanic in the game? No sane person would ever vote an AI to victory.

Fun > Realism remember?

That's true, but we're not just talking about victory votes but also resolutions like no nukes.

No sane country would go along with not building nukes if they had the capability and the only alternative was anhilation from your opponents conventional warfare. Just me, but I'd find the fun factor better if you had option to ignore. Consequences like trade sanctions if you do, sure. But if you're AI Russia with 24 uranium and the human player has lead the WC to vote no nukes and is obliterating your empire one city at a time via his crushing rocket artillery swarm, I'd find it more "fun" if the AI would say screw this, I'm not obeying a suicide pact WC vote forbidding me from building nukes to swat this pesky human swarm.

I disable the same victory times, for the same reasons. But now i wonder how a diplomatic-victory-only game would go, without any city state in the world, since the AI never votes for someone else to win.

The one with forbidden palace would eventually win (unless taken out) as you get 1 extra vote for being the top 2 but it would take a loooooooooooooong time :p

Science - lame and illogical, launching spaceship with carpet of doom surrounding your capital negates your impending obliteration?

Reminds me of the scenes in that movie 2012 where the airplane manages to take off from Las Vegas (was it?) as the whole landscape is falling apart around it...

Actually that seems to be the ultimate win --- despite the carpet of doom you manage to launch your spaceship and take control of the universe... Or at least survive to try to your luck on another planet!

Reminds me of the scenes in that movie 2012 where the airplane manages to take off from Las Vegas (was it?) as the whole landscape is falling apart around it...

Actually that seems to be the ultimate win --- despite the carpet of doom you manage to launch your spaceship and take control of the universe... Or at least survive to try to your luck on another planet!
"Okay ,Mission Control, We're out of the stratosphere. Now calibrate our course through the incoming asteroid belt. Uhhh. Mission Control? Crap."

Finding these forums changed the way I am playing the game.

Since 1992 I've been playing civ like simcity, the goal being to build the nicest civilization. I liked to research future tech 100, I liked to have billions of citizens and 20 very tall cities.

I used to have time victory as the only victory condition, because I didn't want the game to end prematurely.

These forums showed me that "everyone else" was playing the game as a rush to the finish line. That's interesting too. Now I don't disable any victory conditions, and I'm in the process of re-learning the entire game, with quick wins in mind.

I always disable the Time victory. I never really saw the point in it.

Also, most games i've played lately have all been Diplomatic Victories. Once your get your economy rolling and bumped off any obviously aggressive Civs when it comes to CS's (cough, Alexander, cough) it seemed the quickest and easiest way to win.

As such, my next game I'm planning is going to be Zulus(Haven't used them yet)/Pangaea/Large map. With Time/Diplomatic disabled.

That's true, but we're not just talking about victory votes but also resolutions like no nukes.

No sane country would go along with not building nukes if they had the capability and the only alternative was anhilation from your opponents conventional warfare. Just me, but I'd find the fun factor better if you had option to ignore. Consequences like trade sanctions if you do, sure. But if you're AI Russia with 24 uranium and the human player has lead the WC to vote no nukes and is obliterating your empire one city at a time via his crushing rocket artillery swarm, I'd find it more "fun" if the AI would say screw this, I'm not obeying a suicide pact WC vote forbidding me from building nukes to swat this pesky human swarm.

It's realistic too.

North Korea, South Africa, Iran have all pursued nuclear programmes in the face of global pressure.

As you say, violating a UN edict should result in instant trade embargoes from everyone (not waiting until the next session) so the player/AI has the choice of whether it is worth it.

But hell, if Bismarck has 20 panzers on your border, and you have a handful of units, that nuclear option is looking more palatable.

I normally turn off everything except domination. Just sitting back and building the correct buildings and hitting "enter" (or just constantly spamming the enter button) gets real old, real fast for me.

I've won every other VC so now I just do what is fun for me. That's the beauty of this game though, it has something for just about everyone.

I disable the Time 'victory' every game.
Why? In one game, I was ten turns away from a science victory, when time was up and I was declared the winner. It's boring, and anti-climatic.

I don't usually disable any VC, but as I've said since day 1 of vanilla, I'd be very happy if DV was NEVER included in the game.

I really don't like the current system of DV and it sucks to be honest and can result in a civ that isn't near dominant winning.

I prefer something more akin to the DV method in MOO2 where you basically can't win it unless you're nearly dominating the galaxy anyhow.

Like many others, I diable Time. Funny enough, I have yet to end my games with a Diplomatic victory, even though I could've easily.

Most times, I try to play a style of game where I can choose which victory I want upon entering the Industrial and later eras. Good to have options. :)

Disabling victory conditions feels like cheating, to me. That said, I have been tempted to disable the Diplomatic VC until they patch it. Currently, I often just bail out of a game with a Diplomatic victory, even when I should have lost. It's lame.

Regarding the UN, I agree that it's absurd to not be able to disregard resolutions and then suffer the consequences of doing so. That's a huge part of diplomacy to leave out! But the idea that the UN is some uber liberal plot to take away national sovereignty is absurd. Please, keep that nonsense out of here. Let's just focus on the game. :)

I don't disable anything. If I can't win by 2050, I was playing too slow. If I can't win before any of the other victories, my strategy was not good enough. I've had intense, nail-biting Science Victories that came mere seconds before a Culture Victory, exciting culture victories that required diplomatic gymnastics and wars the world over, and diplomatic victories that I only won because of my benevolence in Liberation.

On the UN, while I do agree that we should kindly keep politics out of this thread, they should allow you to defy UN resolutions and suffer a diplomatic hit for it.

Time and only Time, but I have always disabled time. to me Time Victory is stupid.

I don't want my game to end until someone has:
  • Conquered everyone else
  • Become the most popular among the CSs
  • Launched a rocket into outer space to colonize a new planet
  • Shown everyone else how its done with Blue Jeans and Pop Music

Top Bottom