Great Works In a Peace Treaty

Johnnymac1418

Chieftain
I was thinking mabey they could add that you could give up their great works to you (or vise versa) peace deals.

They definitely need to make great works a tradeable item, but one of the problems would be that the AI would probably put too big or small of a price tag on them.

Yes it would be nice if you could get them directly in a treaty and/or trade directly for them.

Right now, you can sometimes indirectly get them in a treaty. If they happen to be in a city that the AI cedes to you, you get them as an unexpected bonus! (Or you can use spies to find out where they are and try to get those cities in the peace deal).

It would be great. Historically, victorious Civs tended to loot conquered Civs, and I guess to some degree this does happen when you conquer a city. (Also you need to be on your toes to try and move works out of your own city if it looks like going under).

Hmm... I am rather indifferent about that idea. I don't think it's necessary but at the same time, I wouldn't mind such a feature. :undecide:

It's a great idea that really shoulda've been implemented in the first place.

Not on topic but relevant: I hate it when you conquer a city, popup says you captured 5 GWs, when you actually got less since the GW building was destroyed during the siege!

They definitely need to make great works a tradeable item, but one of the problems would be that the AI would probably put too big or small of a price tag on them.

Yeah I always hated how after you take one city sometimes a computer player (who might happen to be at war with 10 nations) will say "HERE TAKE EVERYTHING I OWN, INCLUDING ALL MY CITIES!"

Not on topic but relevant: I hate it when you conquer a city, popup says you captured 5 GWs, when you actually got less since the GW building was destroyed during the siege!

If you conquer a city with 5 GWs and you only find 1 or 2 (or none) in the city after you puppet it, take a look around your other cities. The extra GWs should have been teleported to open slots in your other cities.

If you conquer a city with 5 GWs and you only find 1 or 2 (or none) in the city after you puppet it, take a look around your other cities. The extra GWs should have been teleported to open slots in your other cities.
Are you certain of this? The first few times this happened to me, I examined each of my cities for exactly this reason, and I never found an extra GW sitting anywhere. I came to assume that whenever buildings holding GWs are destroyed during city conquests, the GWs themselves are also destroyed, which makes (real-world) sense.

^ I'm having similar problems. On the city conquest screen I get info that I managed to snatch 3 great works and when I try to locate them, they are gone. Great work survive only if the building holding them survives. Otherwise they do not seem to be moved to different parts of your empire.

Yep, I definitely looked around, and like the good sirs below me, couldn't find them.

Was pretty sure as my existing cities had my own civ's GWs, and the newly conquered city contained only 3/5 of that civ's GWs after the notification. I assumed the Museum blew up along with their art, which is fair, but my beef is with the misleading notification.

I think this would be an awesome idea. Not only does it have a longstanding historical precedent it would add more complexity to negociations and let civ's who are falling behind in the culture/tourism department catch up.

Also, what about 'loaning' Great Works? This would be identical to trading Luxuries for a get amount of turns for GPT? Has pretty of precedent as well consider many great works of art tour the world.

Things they need to add:
1. Great Work storage. They would cost maintenance to keep in storage, but would allow you to capture all wonders in a city even if you don't have the slots for them.

2. Great works as a negotiable trade option.

I'm not sure about making it tradeable, because the human player will end up getting most of it.

A lux = 4 pop(raw)/4 happiness is not worth 240 gold, it's worth much more than that. But that's the gamey price to keep things moving. It's arbitrary.

The game would have to value their great works appropriately for this to work, and I don't see there being a rational valuation engine coming soon.

So is a great work worth 500g, 1000? or more? Unless its in the thousands of gold, a Great Work is better off accruing culture for the AI than being sold/traded.

This is why they made a secondary market for art/writing/artefacts. You trade it there, so its always 1-1 and there's no money/valuation involved and AI only puts great works with no themeing bonus for them on the market.

I can possibly see them giving free great work in a peace treaty, but that should be it.

Top Bottom