CIV REV to go for it or not to go?

Patak

Warlord
Hi everybody.

I am addicted BTS player. I did not bought the CIV REV and I am interested is it worth buying. I really like BTS and do not understand the differneces between the two games. Can somebody explain me what are the differneces, please?

Wow. I searched for BTS. I got Bureau of Transportation Statistics, Body Training System and Bangor Theological Seminary. Can I assume that those are not what you are playing?

Unable to make the comparison, CivRev is a fine game. It is a turn based strategy games where you lead one of a number of prominent historical cultures from the founding of their first city to the launch of their spaceship to Alpha Centauri. Conquest, Economics, Culture and Science all play a role in the growth of your civilization. Any of those four areas can be the basis for a victory (launching the aforementioned spaceship is the Tech victory condition). The game is balanced so that even if you are looking for one type of victory, you need to develop all facets of your civilization to at least some extent.

BTS is an expansion for Civ4 (Beyond The Sword). ;)

CivRev is a streamlined version of Civ. It is intended for quick games, and is especially good for multi-player matches.

The differences are many, with the number one being: you cannot play Civ Rev on your PC. It is only available on the XBox360, the PS3, the Nintendo DS, and the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Other very noticeable differences:
  • There is no map editor.
  • You only have 'Small' maps.
  • You can only have 4 opponents. (No more, no less).
  • There are no Workers (and no terrain improvements). Roads are built by expending gold.
  • The AI is not as 'smart' as Civ4, and tends to be quite aggressive.

Many more....

I boaght civ 4 after playing the rev demo. I also was curious if it would still be worth checking out and or the older civ versions? Also can you download an earth map for civ rev?

BTS is an expansion for Civ4 (Beyond The Sword). ;)

CivRev is a streamlined version of Civ. It is intended for quick games, and is especially good for multi-player matches.

The differences are many, with the number one being: you cannot play Civ Rev on your PC. It is only available on the XBox360, the PS3, the Nintendo DS, and the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Other very noticeable differences:
  • There is no map editor.
  • You only have 'Small' maps.
  • You can only have 4 opponents. (No more, no less).
  • There are no Workers (and no terrain improvements). Roads are built by expending gold.
  • The AI is not as 'smart' as Civ4, and tends to be quite aggressive.

Many more....

Thanks for the reply. I am playing BTS in MP a lot but on the huge maps with 16 players. I am the lucky one to have PS3 as well but it does not sound too interesting to buy.

I boaght civ 4 after playing the rev demo. I also was curious if it would still be worth checking out and or the older civ versions? Also can you download an earth map for civ rev?

Try Beyond the Sword expansion, for me (and I am civ player since civ I) it is the ultimate version. I dont think that you will like the old ones now when you have this one. Also, you can try Colonization which is similar but very different from CIV.

Thanks for the reply. I am playing BTS in MP a lot but on the huge maps with 16 players. I am the lucky one to have PS3 as well but it does not sound too interesting to buy.

I have played BTS (at Noble level) I feel that although I am a keen Rev player that you would be disappointed in Rev as it does not have the deep game play that Civ 4 does etc. However, Rev is still very challenging if played on Deity (the highest level) so do not totally discard it. I play Rev a lot and although I wish for further refinements, it is less time consuming as a game can be completed in one session (2-4 hours) and I would recommend it for Console gaming as it is still very challenging when played at the appropriate level....suggest Emperor first. I actually love this game by virtue of the fact that I can knock out a session in a fraction of the time that the fuller version of Civ takes.

I actually love this game by virtue of the fact that I can knock out a session in a fraction of the time that the fuller version of Civ takes.

I think that's what most of us like about it. It's great for those of us who love MP play but don't like the pace of pbem games and don't have 17 consecutive hours to play another Sid title online.

If I spend four hours playing online games, I can generally get in 3-5 FFA games or even more H2H games, and I'm not the sort of player who always goes for a very quick victory.

There is a lot of strategic depth to the game, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who loves a very slow, long game with a lot of customization options. CivRev is deep, but it's quick and doesn't customize much.

Try Beyond the Sword expansion, for me (and I am civ player since civ I) it is the ultimate version. I dont think that you will like the old ones now when you have this one. Also, you can try Colonization which is similar but very different from CIV.

Thanks. I got the complete edition so I think I'll play that next. Still trying to grasp all the options and stuff just before starting a game! I'm about finishing regular 4, but cheiftan just seemed too easy.

Thanks. I got the complete edition so I think I'll play that next. Still trying to grasp all the options and stuff just before starting a game! I'm about finishing regular 4, but cheiftan just seemed too easy.

Try noble, this is the difficulty that I played for longest time and it is (for me) the best learning difficylty. Once you go prince and above you are experianced player. I am currently stuck on emparor and can manage to pull out a victory or two. I admire peple playing diety, that is crazy.

Try noble, this is the difficulty that I played for longest time and it is (for me) the best learning difficylty. Once you go prince and above you are experianced player. I am currently stuck on emparor and can manage to pull out a victory or two. I admire peple playing diety, that is crazy.

Thanks. So it wouldn't be a big jump? I was thinkin that, but wasn't sure if I should do a practice on warlord.

Not having played BTS or Civ4 I can't compare them with CivRev. However, if you have a PS3, a demo of CivRev is available as a free download. (I think the demo is also available for the Xbox360 and the iPhone/iTouch.) So just give it a try.

However, recognize CivRev is a kind of minimalist version of Civ. So you will probably think it too simple on your first play. But give it a second chance and it might start to grow on you.

I just got it for PS3 and I think it's definitely a GO! At first I was a little dissapointed (comparing it to civ 4), but once you keep playing and the add ons available on the ps3 store it gets pretty fun. Definitely a very small earth map, but an earth map all the same. Think I'll play Europe map next.

I just got it for PS3 and I think it's definitely a GO! At first I was a little dissapointed (comparing it to civ 4), but once you keep playing and the add ons available on the ps3 store it gets pretty fun. Definitely a very small earth map, but an earth map all the same. Think I'll play Europe map next.

Wholly agreed, I am playing this game regularly and I'm getting to enjoy it more than ever. I'm now playing on Deity although I haven't won yet. It is very challenging and yes it does not have the depth of Civ3/Civ4/ BTS but it is still Civ in principle. I've said this before but I still consider that there is a lot of scope for Rev 2.

I also like the simplicity of Rev. IMHO the BTS later in the game becomes a bit too complex with the espionage, corporations, religions, UN, sometimes I am bit tired of that.

Rev is just a fairly simple, comfortable fun on the couch with 60 inch screen. Very relaxing!

I had some questions and just wanted to chime in here.

How is this game if I don't really plan to do MP on it?

How does the DS version stack against the other two consoles? The only difference (other than graphics) that I know of is the downloadable maps, I assume I can't get those on the DS.

Between this website and my experience with Civ I-IV and the original Col, would buying this game used for the DS without the manual really be an issue? $10 at a disc replay near me.

I feel strategy games should have Just Enough Complexity, which is why Master of Magic is still one of my favorites games, and why I prefer the original Master of Orion over it's sequel. Civ Rev is simpler than either!

I agree that BTS can get over-complicated, while Civ Rev can be a little too simple and abstract. It has a tiny learning curve (you can pick up the mechanics in the space of the 5 minute in-game tutorial), games are fast, and it doesn't put too much strain on your brain.

Most of all, it is in fact, quite fun. And it still feels like Civ. And a low complexity, portable Civ is perfect for those long waits in public places where there are a lot of distractions which might limit your available brainpower.

I'm not sure I'd pick up the 360 version, since if I'm at home and can concentrate I'd rather just play Civ IV.

But at the right time, Civ Rev on the DS can be great.

As for similarity to the other consoles, official word is that the gameplay is exactly the same across all platforms, but with a different interface on the DS version. I've read strategy guides for the 360 and PS3 version, and they are 100% applicable to the DS version, so that statement holds up.

Finally, regarding DLC, I don't know what is available, but the DS surely doesn't have any purchasable packs. There is the "Map of the Week" feature though, which downloads over the Nintendo WFC.

Top Bottom