The Ancient Mediterranean

thamis

King of Kish
From now on please go to the Ancient Mediterranean MOD to play the Ancient Mediterranean! :D

T H E M E D I T E R R A N E A N
~~~ A map for Civilization III ~~~

# IDEA
Use this map to replay the great wars between Rome and Gaul, Greece and Troy or Carthago and Rome. Of course you can play up to today, but the focus of this map is on the ancient ages.

# GEOGRAPHY
The shape of a large amount of the land mass is totally weird. The map is stretched in East-West direction. I know that, but I didn't make the basic shape of the map, I just changed minor things. I can't remember where I found it...

# RULES
Technologies are much more expensive, thus the ancient age last longer. The max. research time is 100 turns, the min time 8 turns. Corruption is lowered:
Deity 100% and -15% per lower difficulty.

# CIVILIZATIONS
(changes only)

-Spain: (replacing America)
Expansionistic, Religious
Capital: Madrid
Learer: King Phillip II
Special Units:
Man-of-War (replaces Frigate)
Conquistador (replaces Explorer: A.D.M 4.2.3* req. Iron) *all terrain as roads

-Troy: (replacing Persia)
Industrious, Militaristic
Capital: Troy
Leader: King Priamos
Special Units:
War Chariot (replaces Chariot)
Phalanx (replaces Pikeman: A.D.M 1.4.1 req. Iron)
Amazon Warrior (same as Swordsman, only different ani)

-Carthage: (replacing Zulus)
Expanisionistic, Commercial
Capital: Carthage
Leader: King Hannibal
Special Units:
Elephant Archer (replaces Archer: A.D.M.HP 2.1.2.+1 req. Ivory)
War Elephant (replaces Horseman: A.D.M.HP 3.2.2.+1 req. Ivory)
Arab Horseman (same as Knight, different ani)

-Celts: (replacing England)
Religious, Commercial (replacing England)
Cpital: Cardiff
Leader: Queen Boudicea
Secial Units:
Man-or-War (replaces Frigate)
Axeman (replaces Swordsman: A.D.M 4.1.1 req. nothing)

-Greece:
Special Units:
Hoplite (replaces Spearman)
Phalanx (replaces Pikeman: A.D.M 1.4.1 req. Iron)

-Egypt:
Special Units:
War Chariot (replaces Chariot)
Immortals (replaces Swordsman)
Mameluck (same as Horseman, different ani)

-Babylon:
Special Units:
Bowmen (replaces Archer)
Immortals (replaces Swordsman)
Mameluck (same as Horseman, different ani)

-Germany:
Militaristic, Industrious (ancient Germans were not very advanced, thus not "scientific")
Special Units:
Panzer (replaces Tank)

-France:
Special Units:
Musketeer (replaces Musketman)

-Russia:
Special Units:
Cossack (replaces Cavalry)

-Rome:
Special Units:
Support Troops (can build roads, forts, RRs, cost no pop.: A.D.M 0.1.1)
Legionary (replaces Swordsman)

-Others:
Normal Rules.
China, Japan, India, Aztecs and Iroquois have been removed.

All the new units and unit graphics are included. The file size is 1.9MB, therefore I couldn't upload it to this server. You can download it by following this link:

May 5th:
Fixed Bug: Settlers now don't require Iron...

http://www.abi2001-hu.de/ext/mediterranean.zip

Version 1.0 was removed after 164 downloads.

From now on please go to the Ancient Mediterranean MOD to play the Ancient Mediterranean! :D

Nice map.... But my real reason for posting here was that quote at the bottom... I've heard a similar version

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.
--From an article on the growth of federal regulations in the Oct. 24th issue of National Review

Isn't it interesting how we keep increasing the complexity of our lives...

Looks like a good map and mod... but I think the Spanish unit should be something like the Conquistador, because ships are useless in Civ3.

I downloaded your map and have started playing as the Carthaginians. I like the map a lot.....two questions. Why can't I build spearmen? I have researched bronze working a long time ago. When do I get to build my unique unit?

Ok......I got to build war elephants in place of knights, like the Indians. Sorry about that. For some reason I had the idea that an "elephant" unit was going to replace horseman. But i still couldnt build spearmen....have the requirements for spearman been changed in this scenario?
It is a really good map...thanks for your work....i like having carthaginians and spanish...two of my favorite civs from Civ II.

I am currently playing a game as the Trojans and have been unable to build swordsmen. I think this is because the Persians (who the Trojans are based around in this mod) usually build Immortals instead of swordsmen. This is probably the case because I was able to build war chariots and ordinary chariots at the same time.
Sorry to keep posting on your thread; Im not trying to belittle or criticize your mod. I was wondering if I installed it wrong or this was something you overlooked.
I wish I knew how to use the editor ...it would be cool to replace some of the unused civs like Iroqouis and Aztecs with, say, Minoans or Celts...

I was wondering if anyone would like to help me make a map of the eastern hemisphere, the reason for this is because I think it would be great for a lot of different scenarios (such as imperialism of Asia, both the world war {I know it would not include America, but once the editor is finished that would be no problem}) I am very surprised that this has not been made yet (if someone knows where it exist please tell me) and think it would encompass enough terrain to make the game divers but still allow for Europa to be big enough to have a major role as opposed to the 10 cities at tops that can fit there on the world map.
PS(DecrepitSled) Have you went into the unite screen and checked the Trojans as able to produce swordsmen. If not that might help;)

Delinquent Rock, where/what is the unite screen?:confused:

BTW, your idea about the big Eurasian map sounds good...it would be very useful for a mod dealing with something like the Mongol conquests or the Boxer Rebellion.

When on the map editor you click on the little box on the right of the tool bar. A drop down should come up. Then you go to the title "Unites." When you click on this screen will appear with a settler description. Click on another droop down and go to Swordsman. This should bring up a screen that has all the info about Swordsman. You will see a little box with all the different names of the Civilizations, Trojans will not be highlighted (blue is the color of the highlight) so hit Ctrl and use the mouse to click the name Trojans. Now when you play the game you should be able to make swordsman.
PS That is why I am surprised it has not been made yet.

All right, I am currently working on a map with some major changes made. I will post it soon!

In the current version there are the following known bugs:

- Carthage cannot build Spearmen
- Troy cannot build Swordsmen
- Game might crash when exchanging world maps

Except for the last one (I have no clue why it crashes), these bugs will be removed.

The new map will also be a little more balanced. I have noticed that the Egyptians, the Carthaginians, the Greeks and the Romans have quite a bad starting position. The Babylonians, Germans and Russians are way too well-off, especially if they're not "blocked" by nearby civs. I have been working on that, too.

Question to those who already played the map: Should there be a land bridge at the Bosporus? I believe not - why would the Greeks have used a huge fleet to invade Troy?

I am hoping for more comments. I am a real fan of the ancient mediterranean, I love to play there. If anyone else does, tell me what you think!

I even thought about changing the tech tree totally, making it ancient _only_...:egypt:

Originally posted by DecrepitSled
I wish I knew how to use the editor ...it would be cool to replace some of the unused civs like Iroqouis and Aztecs with, say, Minoans or Celts...

I would love that, too. Give me Leader/Heroes/City details about say, the Minoans, and I will do it. I would love to have the Goths, too. They would really create more balance in northern Europe.

The Minoan starting position would suck, though, if you had the Troians AND the greeks in the game... ;-)

Originally posted by thamis
The Minoan starting position would suck, though, if you had the Troians AND the greeks in the game... ;-)
Just give them a heap of goodies on crete - cattle, fish, wine, incense. Basically the mother of all start spots - if you can't do well with that, try another civ...

I would love to see an all ancient CIV III mod. I have played your map, I and like it a lot. I am currently playing as Carthage and have just received the leader Hannibal Barca. I am not at war with Rome, but am having visions of elephants on the Roman countyside!!! Gee, hope they don't win their leader Scipio.

Is there a way to make the Ancient era last longer. Like that scenario in CIV II that used to go on for ever. I have way more fun before all the tanks, jets, spys and nukes come along. I know that there is a way to minipulate the time line but I don't know how??????

Thanks

I have already halved the tech progression in this mod. I'm playing on Monarch and in 1250 AD the AI is in industrial age. Damn it! It's just too fast!

What I'm going to do is change the tech tree. I'll take away industrial and modern ages and include more techs in the other ages. I'll also slow it down more.

Has anybody ideas for extra techs?

BTW: Capt Ajax, I like your signature...

Sounds like it would work. If you post it I'll play it. Any idea on which new techs you would be adding??

Suprise Attack, allows Trojan Horses to be built. They would act as missiles of sorts with an attack range of one. :)

Top Bottom