Modding Civ I - tweaking random maps

:sarcasm:
Well if you knew how badly I am at math, you would probably be quite happy that I will not have any part in it. :run: Anyways, with all of the work that darkpanda has done for the game, it would be much easier for him (when he gets the time :badcomp:).

Okay, I realized my map was getting bizarre because two modifications played together: I had modified the map to get the number of tiles of the EARTH map, but I had forgotten I had also used the trick explained in this thread (I had changed the value from 64 (40 00) to 12345 (39 30).

This combination was interesting though, because it provided much less random jungles and swamps. Problem is, I got one enourmous continent with big inland seas, and a much smaller one (someting like 80/20, with a small isolated island), while I'd like something like 50/50, 60/40, maybe 70/30.

So I decided to put the values back to 40 00. And then... :eek:
I get enormous inland seas which almost make the game unworkable, or at least very unpleasant to play ("Yeah, 1st city near sea...Fudge, it'a lake and big useless one at that !").

I don't know how algorithms work. What I need is simply an intermediary value between 64 and 12345 which allow two or three big continents while almost excluding inland seas (Inland seas in the vein of the EARTH map will do the trick). My ideal is still a EARTH-like map without it being a copy of it.

You know you can put any value between 1 and 32000? Or maybe even up to 65000 but I believe it does make much difference...

I think you should try other values to see what happens.

But the bottom line is that the EARTH map was not generated with rules of the random map algorithm, so I believe it is rather hard to generate something similar without heavy modifications...

Yeah, I know I can put any value and that it won't make a correct pseudo-Earth (though, using 12345 gave satisfying results), I just don't know how to convert decimal to hexadecimal. :(

For example, I don't understand how there can be so little difference between the hexadecimal numbers for land mass distribution while there is a huge one in decimal. Case in point, like you illustrated at the beginning of this thread:

normal CIV value 64 => hex 40 00
value 12345 => 39 30

Besides, I think a value inferior to 12345 would suit my tastes better.

So if someone could explain how to do the conversion (maybe there are some tools online or downloadable ?), I then could play like a cray with my CIV land mass code ? :crazyeye:

EDIT: Scratch that, I've found an online converter. Didn't think it could be so easy. :hide:

Now I understand, thank you very much. I know virtually nothing about computing languages. :)

I enjoy combining both these hacks to create a super contenant but then all the interiors are filled with completely unusable squares like mountains and deserts. must be some algorithm of the program that says if you're too far from a coast then the land is unusable... which is NOT how it is on the real earth. :(

I would love an app that went thru the map file and changed all deserts / mountains / arctic to grasslands etc...

sorry for off topic a bit, but can anyone point me towards how to modify the exe so that settlers finish their work instantly? (equivalent to re-awakening and putting back to work over and over... but this is exhausting :crazyeye: ) Maybe i had a prog to do this for me before but my key to TF isn't working anymore for some reason. :mad:

thanks
Oddahc

I am really, really sure that I've seen an explanation on player start positions and single/double starting settlers, but I can not find it anymore. Can someone help me?

Edit: I found the thread about the two settlers thing: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=494994
Now I just need to find out how the starting position is determined.

Top Bottom