Do people still play the original CIV?

I have about twenty different civ.exe files with various different tile yields, unit abilities, etc. it's still fun to try something new in Civ I. The mechanics are so straightforward that it makes for really flexible modding. Now if I could just find my 386 Dos machine...

Good luck, I remember most of my computers over the years. Anyways, if you don't find it, you can always download the dosbox emulator.

I haven't playd Civ in years and i was looking at Civ 5 and i somehow wasn't interested in playing it when looking at it.

But i'll go start a Civ 1 game again :D (still all time best civ imo) hehe

Of course I do still play Civ1!!
I have tried and played some of the other versions, but kept playing Civ1 (and eventually abandoned the others). What I love is it's simplicity: let's you play out any strategy you want, customize (and hack) the game experience, with no distractions with the 3D graphic (absolutely not useful, IMHO) or the complex details and rules of the recent chapters.
BTW I play on a Mac using DOSBox.

After playing a couple of games of the WINCIV version that came with the "Civilization Legacy Box" over the last few years, last weekend I actually tried to get my 1991 original DOS version to work with DOSbox - and it worked like a charm. So yes, still playing after 23 years. Although I have to admit I like Civ II and IV better than the original. Nevertheless it's quite an experience to see and feel again how things started and how this great series kept going.

last weekend I actually tried to get my 1991 original DOS version to work with DOSbox - and it worked like a charm.
I have a WinXP laptop which can run CivDOS v5 (in either MS-DOS or Win9x compatibility mode, can't remember which), but (1) the graphics get blown up and distorted to a ridiculous degree on the 1280x800 monitor, (2) I have to exit the game if I want to do anything else and (3) I can't use any other sound option than the 'PC sounds', which I usually then switch off because they're so annoying!

(The game will still run if I select another sound option, but much more slowly, and without any sounds being played at all. It was the same on my old Win98 Toshiba notebrick, so I've never played CivDOS with anything other than PC sounds -- and I think my experience may have lacked something as a result.)

Would running CivDOS in DOSbox change any of those issues for the better? I ask because the WinXP laptop also has DOSbox, which was automatically installed by the GOG.com downloader software. All my GOGs so far have been automatically configured to run in DOSBox as part of their installation process, but to date I haven't really looked into how to 'manually' configure it (although I just found this site, which might help)

And this site just told me that I can run F117 Nighthawk in DOSbox as well... :) Better be careful though -- otherwise I might put myself in serious danger of getting divorced for neglect... :crazyeye:

Would running CivDOS in DOSbox change any of those issues for the better?

Yes, absolutely. Display quality is perfect (or at least as good as it was 20 years ago). It emulates Soundblaster sound and other hardware options without any problem - and even accepts my XBOX-Controller as a joystick! Feels surreal but it works... ;)
You can also switch between fullscreen and windowed mode with ALT-ENTER and the display in general is scalable and - if I read things correctly - can be adjusted to monitor ratio.

And this site just told me that I can run F117 Nighthawk in DOSbox as well...

Strange coincidence you mention this - after the weekends success I ordered a cheap external floppy drive to get some other of those good old Microprose games running again, and F117 sure is the one I am looking forward most to playing. Yesterday I already got F15 Strike Eagle II (which I have CD based) fired up - but F117 beats it hands down and was also one of my most favourite games of those days!

Btw. there's not that much you really have to change in the DOSbox config. Standard is pretty good, because most parameters can be set to "auto" and both CIV and COLONIZE worked with default settings. F15 however gave me a bit of a hard time because it needed a special "386_Prefetch" (or something like that) processor type.

I'm in the same boat - been playing the original Civilization game for YEARS, starting when the game first came out. I remember my sister getting a copy and playing it, but don't remember it having the copy protection. That original game was "lost" but then stopping in a computer store (remember them) in the late 90's, I found Civilization I new in a box and quickly bought it! Got Civilization II - was ok but not a fan, and just to see got Civilization III and hated it. Never went any further after that. Still today just like taking an afternoon and play Civilization I to waste an afternoon. Even have it installed on my work laptop and play it on my downtime. Hopefully the IT guy doesn't find it on there one day! Maybe running it through Dosbox helps.

Welp.

Ten years of Civ1. When I started playing in 2004 I thought it was a fling.

Just spent a couple hours guiding my Egyptians with JSB, demo and GAs to hit Physics before 1AD on Emp using limited ICS. Massing markets to counter the inevitable drop in rev now I'm done booming/turtling. Aiming for conquest without diplos + bribes and razing. My own version of OCC, but starter island. I'm practicing my ICS because I want to beat Emp+1.

Yep, 15 year trada would be proud I'm still messing around with these couple megabytes.

Proud or saddened.

Civ 1 was one of the first games that I purchased for my Atari ST-E back in 1993 or 1994 (my timeline is a little fuzzy when it goes back that far). I loved the music and for its time, it was a playable game with tons of enjoyment.

Nostalgia made me return a few months ago with a nice DOS version I picked up on the web. It might not have the good music, and it's hard to see the roads compared to the ST version, but I still love it and the way it plays.

Civ 2 and the console version kept me occupied too, but 3 wasn't that good.

This game and colonization I are my favourite old games. I still play it sometimes.

I used to play the original all the time and clear the whole map by conquering everyone. I recently played again and ranked as king Solomon in a domination victory. I play it more often in mobile because I am not always able to be at home since there's responsibilities and things to do. Classic civilization in mobile technology is great because I could play civilization when I go out as well.

It seems I am not the only one playing the first version. I still love it. The best time-killer ever!

Man I have been having a civ 1 Renaissance recently. Just beat the game on King which was a first. ICS with worker spam RULES!!!

Yes. Since 1992 I think. I often cheat giving myself $30,000; or revealing the map, or changing to a nation that has an island to itself.

I just tried DarkPanda's java based editor today. Fun.

Twenty something years ago my friends and I wasted days and nights playing civ. I tried it recently. I just keep getting annoyed by lack of cultural borders. I can't stand that someone is able to sneak up and build a town two steps from mine, hindering it's development. so, no. I don'g go below 3 any more.

I recently played and I could've killed everyone with Aztec, but instead I built a spaceship the old way without launching at such a early age like the folks in the other thread did. Before that, I ranked as Solomon by achieving a domination victory with Frederick. I did that really early though, it could've been 1300 or 1400~.

Top Bottom