Fall of Rome (Scenario)

It shouldn't be broken; but you need to ensure the city was owned by the Sass and not
one that E Rome had captured.
(But the report is that if the Sass captures a city that starts in E Rome then capturing it as Celts does count.) There's no difficulty level requirement (people have gotten this achievement on Settler.)
There is also (contrary to popular belief) no time limit on the achievement. I have played past the time limit and gotten the achievement (I Missed that day in History Class)

Well, I suppose this thread is pretty dead(what, 10 months since the last post?), but currently I'm gunning for the achievements in this scenario.
I tried it first as Western Rome on prince, and fell in love with the scenario. I find it awesome. So far I've gotten every achievement but the Pax Romana Eternal one, the crown of all achievements in CiV V imo.
As of tonight, this is the only one left for me, since I just got the "I missed that day in history" Award.
Right now I'm doing a game as Eastern Rome (I've heard they're easier to do it on, due to scenario design), on prince difficulty, just to get a feel of how they play. So far, I've only looked at the turn 1 setup, and moved a bit of stuff around.
At this point, the Vandal invasion of Greece hasn't materialized, so that's one worry down. However, the Huns are coming, and so are the Sassanids. Oh, and there's the HUGE gothic army bearing down from across the Danube.
As of, my strategy is basically the acceptance that Sirmium and Naissus are both gone. That being said, my plan for Europe basically is to fortify around Adrianople and Thessalonica. Dyrrachium I'm not sure of, since it would be safer to just let it fall and fortify farther into Greece, but the city could be very useful and strong, if I can keep the Goths away for long enough.
Because, while trying to get the Celtic achievement, I had to defend Adrianople for a Gothic counter-attack, I'm confident I can hold it. I know the territory well, and I have more units, as well as stronger ones, and the Gothic army was more concentrated vs my Celts... but then again I had all the policy buffs at that point too...
But Anyways, the plan there is to hold that line, and make Greece into a strong, secure production zone. Hopefully the Goths will bugger off and go against the west long enough for me to gain strength and begin to counter-attack before they come after the Balkans again.
As far as the East is concerned, I'm not sure of how to handle that yet. In my games as the west, I notice that the East does ok until it attacks from out of it's defenses. Then it loses units, and the cities are open to the Sassanids(all my games have had the Huns falter and fail). That being said, usually the AI just cannot defend itself from the Barbs as either side in the fall of Rome(though I've never see the AI barbs take a capital). However, everything else around them falls typically, with exception to western Anatolia, and random parts of the West(usually either Northern Spain or Southern Italy, depending on where the Vandals go).

So, my question is, is my Strategy for the Balkans sound? Would it work on Deity as well? And how should I approach the fight with the Sassanids and Huns?

Thanks,
phoenix

It's not always easy to predict what the AI will do.
Along the Black Sea - particularly where the Huns are the Dromon works wonders, and get some of the towards Rome to help the stupid AI there.

In the Balkans its harder. Make sure you're able to pull your Legions back easily as you don't want to lose them. For the frontier cities start building scouts and use them as meat shields. you won't have enough time to build anything else and scouts can hold the AI up a bit, especially if they have rough terrain and rivers to help them. If they survive to 10exp you can heal them so they can last another turn or 2.

Ok, well, I finished the prince game, where I took back pretty much all my cities except for Theodosiopolis from the Huns. That play through gave me a good idea of the terrain, but that's it. i got surprised by the fact that the vandal invasion of Greece did indeed pop up, but that was the only real setback.
Deity brought it to a whole other level.
I've since finished one deity game, which was a loss. In the end;
The Goths still controlled Dyrrachium(barely though!), Nassius, and Sirmium
The Huns controlled Theodosiopolis, Trebizond, and Amaseia.

Looking back, I know I screwed up early game, in particular, against the Huns. I just didn't have enough experience against a full Hunnic onslaught, and the vandals took me by total surprise.
On Prince, they only ever showed up and attacked Mistra. They usually then run out of steam, and it can be recovered.
Not so.
I had the nastiest shock of my civ experience ever when I realized that on top of the group attacking southern greece, there was also one near Cyprus, off coast of the Levant, and near Cyrenaica. Because of this, I basically panicked and sent my entire navy to combat them. They still took Mistra, although I made it costly, and they managed to snag Seleucia quite comfortably. However, I was able to obliterate the force attacking Cyrene, as well as the one that attacked Caesaria. However, I was able to take back these cities relatively early on, and that was the last of my troubles with the Vandals for pretty much the rest of the game.
The Goths honestly gave me no surprises, other then their ferocity and numbers. Nassius fell first, and then Sirmium not to long after. Dyrrachium fell to, and then it was a matter of keeping them out of Greece, as well as defending Thessalonica and Adrianople, both of which spent almost the whole game under heavy siege. I was actually able to take back Dyrrachium once, but lost it right after, not seeing the massive Gothic force hidden in the fog of war around the city... they retook it in one turn(I had done a naval assault, so only one unit). I was actually a turn away from taking it back when the scenario ended.
The huns are where I screwed up. With no drowns present, or too much else for that matter(reroute too many troops due to the shock the vandals gave me. I both underestimated them, then overestimated them, so the Huns had a weak point to exploit). They took down Trebizond quite quickly, then, although it gave out stubbornly, Theodosiopolis, after that they broke through to take Amaseia. In my shock from that, plus my attempts to establish a defense at Antioch and to counterattack the vandal conquests, they the ripped up the coast to Sinope, which was more costly for them at least, before taking the audacious move of taking Amastris, and then, in a ludicrous move of RNG, took out Dorylaeum with two battering rams, despite a defending Cataphract.
The Sassanids only took Edessa and Melitene, before they slaughtered themselves on the defensive line at Antioch, and the Huns stated attacking them(despite their massive gains, I did wipe out the hunnic army, so the AI must've decided not to much it's luck/blessing from RNGesus and hit the Sassanids instead). They lost Melitene to the Huns late game in fact.

In a short summary, I was brutally crippled by my mistakes in the early game, which seems to be the biggest reason I lost, not helped by the divine blessings of the RNG gods upon Attila.
I was able to hold the Goths off, and although Adrianople almost fell once, I was able to keep Greece safe after the Vandal adventure, and no barbarian ever threatened Constantinople. In fact, I was staging a very successful counterattack against them when the Game ended. I estimate that if i had only 10 more turns I certainly would have recovered Dyrrachium for good, as well as Naissus, though Sirmium would've likely stayed under Gothic control.
In the East, the Sassanids remained a minor threat, after their initial assault the had to deal with Huns. It appears(never played as the Sassanids, only got a bit of scouting done in my prince game) that all their luxury resources are in the north, which they lost to the Huns.
Basically, my approach against the Huns started with a naval assault on Amastris, which was a success, cutting of Dorylaeum from the rest of their conquests. Dorylaeum must've been the staging ground for the next attack, because they had a lot of units there. Despite surrounding it, I actually had to go on the defensive because of the attacks coming from there. That ended up begin late game that I took it back. Once enough of that army was lost, I was able to push in and retake it. Next on the hit list was Sinope. That was a bloody costly city to take. The Huns did invest in a navy, so my Dromons had substantial resistance, and my army and no easy time of moving in, coming under assault from the city, eastern reinforcements(one the Huns realized I was on the warpath finally XD), and southern assaults from Amaseia. This was only solved by me sending my defensive line holding the middle of Anatolia to attack Amaseia, distracting the units from there and allowing my Sinope assault army to have secure flanks. They isolated the city, and then it fell.
At the same time, I was pushing against the Sassanids. I moved my ridiculously powerful Antioch army out of their fortifications, and sent them at Edessa. Like the iron fist they were, they smashed the few Sassanids defenders, and retook the city easily. I wondered why they had so little units defending it... my question was quickly answered when the Huns seized Melitene from the Sassanids, and finished off their army. Thus, I attacked North in to the weakened Hunnic army, and was able to push it away rather than wipe it out, retaking Melitene before immediately having to defend it form a Hunnic counter-attack. I then began a general assault on Amaseia, which never was successful because apparently the huns(and their horses) breed like rabbits. With 10 more turns... I may have taken it. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. That fight lost any predictability whatsoever.
The Sassanids did have enough steam for some last-10-turn-action however. They finally attacked Palmyra, and attempted to take back Edessa. I was able to push back the Palmyra assault, although they came bloody close to taking to back, and with some legionary intervention, Edessa never came in danger of falling.

Thus was how my first attempt on deity ended.

This was what my ally and left at the end of the game. i never had the ability to interfere with his fights, save for my obliteration of a massive Vandal fleet off Syracuse.
Spoiler :

Me at the end of the game...

The Gothic front:
Spoiler :

My Just-in-case-premium-anti-Vandal Insurance policy off the coast of Cyrene:
Spoiler :

Palmyra post-Sassanid assault. A good chunk of the defending force was sent north to help Edessa deal with it's own Sassanid woes:
Spoiler :

Sassanid assault on Edessa as the last turn ended:
Spoiler :

Melitene on the last turn:
Spoiler :

And, last, but certainly not least, the Hunnic front:
Spoiler :

Also, map at the end of the game:
Spoiler :

Any tips and feedback would be great, especially as to how the heck I contain the friggin' huns! They are the single biggest reason I lost, seeing as I would never have lost so much happiness, gold, production(not to mention the culture I gained from losing the cities) if I had been able to hold them. I definitely would've had the steam to push the goths back sooner, as well as potentially kick the Huns out of my territory for good. Heck, I could've helped Western Rome out. But I guess you can't have it all XD.
Anyways, I hope my next try is more successful.
Roma Invicta!

I've just started playing this scenario again (I think I played it once as the Huns a few years ago) The Vandals at prince-level were a lot of fun, but I just barely won (even tho' I had captured all of Spain, northern Africa, southern France, *and* Italy) because somehow Theodora just kept racking up so many points.

Now I'm trying the Celts; going to try to get the "history class" achievement, although it will probably take longer than 70 turns. I've had several starts; haven't finished one yet. Do I need to cripple the Franks? (seems like a waste of time) At some point they are more interested in fighting me than they are the Romans. I start out capturing and puppeting Coriallum and Gesoriacum, then raze Coriallum once my units are healed. Then head south until I hit the alps (razing most of the cities.) I annex both Gesoriacum and Portus Namnetum because they have potential for high production. I don't cross the alps, I head east at that point (leave Spain for the Vandals) About the time I get to Italy, the Franks attack me instead of Rome, and take Gesoriacum. I think I need to build a citadel there next time (early) and guard it with a swordsman and a couple of bows.

Should I be capturing all the cities west of the Alps for the points, or is that a waste of time when I should be moving east? Also not sure what I should be doing with my navy after I take those first 4 coastal cities. If I take the western cities, my ships can sail all the way around Spain into the Mediterranean. (I was planning to annex Narbo and build ships there)

Played another quick game. In about 20 turns or so I captured all of Gaul down to Narbo and Martius, and was about to invade northern Italy. I planted a citadel just southeast of Gesoriacum with my first great ageneral, guarded by my only swordsman and a composite bow. I also managed to capture Trier this time (that's unusual) and it was guarded by a pair of Pictish and it had walls. That was about the time the entire Frank army comes knocking on my door again, and I have to bring all my units home to defend and we have a stalemate for the next 50 turns. In retrospect, I probably should have burned Trier down and fallen back to Gesoriacum with my Picts and continued my push towards Rome with my main army. Not bring any of them home. Gesoriacum would fall eventually, but it was defended well enough that would take a while.

AFAIK, the Franks never captured a single Roman city; they didn't care about the Romans they just wanted to attack the human player.

I think maybe Gesoriacum is a trap. It has all those cattle tiles; it makes an awesome city once you buy a stable. At some point it's like a magnet for the Franks. Might be better to burn it down; use Portus Namnetum for the production city on the mainland, even tho' you'll have to invest in some workers to develop the tiles. At least it has a luxury tile, Gesoriacum does not (eventually I picked up a cotton tile with a citadel)

Next time, I'll burn everything except Portus Namnetum and Narbo -- annex those. I don't think the Franks will march that far.

If going for the history class achievement i read somewhere that it's better to sail around in the sea, exploiting your UA and reach Persia faster.

I'm playing the Franks right now (at emperor level) even tho' there's not an achievement for that. First thing I did was start connecting all my cities with roads, and building culture buildings (mead houses in high-production cities, monuments in low.) Then started cranking out units, mostly seuxmen (sp?), as soon as I got the first policy. I captured Trier right away, then headed south, avoiding the Celts but attacking any of their units that entered my territory. I'm puppeting almost all the cities I capture, unlike the Celts who should raze most cities. It's going pretty well; turn 30 or so and I'm about to sack Rome. I will annex the good cities when I get the 4th policy for rush-building courthouses.

This is a fun scenario, at least playing as one of the barbarian factions. Next, maybe I'll try the Celts again and try to get the history class achievement.

Well Barb factions have zero unit maintenance so they carpet, and carpeting is fun XD.
Meanwhile I just edited the game code and make Rome OP instead.

Top Bottom