Features

to be fair, i see no way in reality how, say ethiopia or nigeria are going to catch up to the developed world within the next 25 years,(or even 100) yet alone in the ingame world. So if its insanely difficult for the player to do it then its accuarate and reflecting reality.

to be fair, i see no way in reality how, say ethiopia or nigeria are going to catch up to the developed world within the next 25 years,(or even 100) yet alone in the ingame world. So if its insanely difficult for the player to do it then its accuarate and reflecting reality.

I think that's not entirely true. Naturally ehtiopia or nigeria are really bad examples and you are right that it will need much time for them to catch up to the developed world. But there are other countries like the emerging powers, who have much stronger economies and grow very fast. For example the 4 asian tigers or also India and China. But although these countries are growing very fast, they still are far behind the most western countries both in productivity and in general wealth. And there are other areas like latin-america or the balkans which have a great potential but cannot really bring it into action because of a wide range of reasons. Political, cultural, historical, whatever....
What I want to point out is, that it is important to display the enormous big range between wealth and productivity of the more and the less developed countries of the world. And in my opinion we should do that not only with big corporations and money, but also with a significant increase of industrial production in the richer countries. I can go along with both a new type of modernization and national wonders, but since most people here prefer the second solution I think it would be the easier one to do.
My last question was about that it would be too easy in fact for the poor countries to catch up to the developed world when they only have to build some few national wonders. So I wondered how we could make it quite hard and difficult to boost your economy (f.e. with national wonder) but still achievable for both human players and AI.

So the bottom line is that we all (myself included) agree with you and now try to work out how we could make this whole thing work in an easy but still realistic and funny way.

greetings

Maybe instead of choosing to use GP for GA we have it come randomly.

those may not be correct acronyms, but GP= Great People/GA= Golden Age.

The only problem I see with national wonders is that you build them only once. Wouldn't it be a bit easy for poorer countries to catch up with the richer countries only by building one wonder in one city??? I'm not saying this solution is not good or satisfying! Everything which contributes to making the mod more realistic and is quite simple to code is very welcome! But I'm asking how it would be possible to display that it is not sooo easy to make up weak economic structures, although possble if you are really willing to tread the right way. Has anybody got some good ideas???

Concerning the concrete boni and effects the wonders should have I could make some suggestions. But first I would like to know what you would answer to my question above. For my next post I will contemplate how the wonders could work :)

greetings

We simply make the national wonders very expensive, which would make poorer, undeveloped countries actually have to work to bring their economy and production level up to actually build the wonder in a feasible amount of time. Here's some ideas of the couple of production national wonders:

National Highway System (U.S. could start out with this)
+50% Production in the city in which it is built
+25% Production in every city connected to that city by either road or rail
+1 Trade route in every city connected
+3 Unhealthiness in the city in which it was built, and +2 unhealthiness in every city connected

Maglev Train Rails (Japan could start with this)
+1 Movement on Rails
+25% Production in every city (including the city in which it was built) connected to the city in which it was built (by rails of course!)
+25% Gold in every city (including the city in which it was built) connected to the city in which it was built (by rails of course!)
-2 Unhealthiness in every city (including the city in which it was built) connected to the city in which it was built (by rails of course!)

Sounds all good. Although I see no realism in having the Highway System boosting one city's production more than the other city's. A Highway System has no "center". I'd suggest it would add the same production and unhealthiness to every city of that civ, regardless where it's built.

Sounds all good. Although I see no realism in having the Highway System boosting one city's production more than the other city's. A Highway System has no "center". I'd suggest it would add the same production and unhealthiness to every city of that civ, regardless where it's built.

That is true... how about this?

National Highway System (U.S. could start out with this)
+25% Production in every city connected to that city (the city it was built in) by either road or rail
+1 Trade route in every city connected
+2 unhealthiness in every city connected

Great ideas Joecoolyo!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what I thought of (concerning boni and effects) and I'm quite sure it will work well with national wonders. Do we still want 4 national wonders or haven't we decided that yet? Anyway I here are a couple of my ideas:

Nationwide Broadband Internet access (for every city with energy supply)
+25% Research in every city
+10% Gold in every city
+10% Production in every city
+1 Trade route in every city

Currency is the reserve currency No. 1 (Dollar -> USA)
+25% Gold in each city
+1 Trade Route in each city with a bank
+2 relationship with civs with free market or a similiar civic
-2 relationship with civs with communistic/state property civics

Currency is the reserve currency No. 2 (Euro -> EU)
+15 % Gold in each city
+1 Trade Route in eacht city with a bank
+1 relationship with civs with free market or a similiar civic
-1 relationship with civs with communistic/state property civics

Information society (for each city with a radio tower)
+20 Culture in each city each turn
+10 % Culture in each city
-3 unhappiness (unhappy people are added) in each city
+2 happiness for 10% Culture in your budget

Knowledge society/Basic and Universitary Education system (applies to all cities with universities)
+15% Culture in each city
+20% Production in each city
+10% Gold in each city
+4 war weariness in each city
+1 healthiness in each city

Universal Health Care System (EU could start with this; for all cities with hospitals)
+5 healthiness in each city
+4 happiness in each city
+5% Production in each city
+5% Research in each city
-10% Gold in each city

Well, that's what came in my mind yet. Naturally we can change the boni and effects of the wonders and also the names! But for the moment, how do you like them :)??????

greetings Ben

The reserve currencies sound more like national wonders, and I'm not sure totally what you are trying to represent with the Information society one. But I really like them! Yours too Joecoolyo. I say include them all, we can have more than five if we want.

May I suggest changing Nationwide Broadband to National Wi-Fi, so that we can start with no one having it?

shouldnt every western european and USA\Canada have the Highway\Motorway system?

To make things clear...at the moment we all agree that these should be National Wonders, buildable by every civ. Some do have them at game start, some do not. Is this right?

In that case all the suggestions sound wonderful but the reserve currencies. If we have them they should be Great Wonders, since there can't be several no.1 reserve currencies in the world. But I'm not sure if they make sense since these could change in reality. E.g. the Euro wasn't No. 2 currency 10 years ago.

I have two more suggestions: A highway system in reality does start being useful long before every city is connected. So I suggest we could have it work like a mixture of Globe Theatre and Eiffel Tower: You'd have to build a "Highway"-Building in 3 of your cities, providing these cities with the same bonus the "Highway System" wonder would give to all of the cities. Then you'd be able to build the expensive "Highway System" wonder that would give a free "Highway"-Building in each city.
This way it would be cheaper for smaller civs (1-3 cities) to get the Highway bonus (without building the wonder), just as it is in reality. Also a civ could start building a highway system and would instantly profit a little even before the whole system is finished.

So:
Building "Highway"
+25% Production
+1 Trade route
+2 unhealthiness

National Wonder "National Highway System"
requires 3 Highways
free Highway in every city on the continent

We could make the other infrastucture wonders suggested by Lord Wolf to work alike.

shouldnt every western european and USA\Canada have the Highway\Motorway system?

yes. and so should at least have japan, canada, us, eu and nato. i don't know what they have in australia. china should be building one.

To make things clear...at the moment we all agree that these should be National Wonders, buildable by every civ. Some do have them at game start, some do not. Is this right?

Yes, at least I agree. We need world wonders as well so let's get them settled too, reserve currency is a great one.

Let's move the discussion about these in to a new thread, to get things finalized and to keep this thread about features.

yes. and so should at least have japan, canada, us, eu and nato. i don't know what they have in australia. china should be building one.

australia has a motorway system where needed and China is in the process of building a large motorway network.

How about national holidays increased happiness for 1 turn.

How about national holidays increased happiness for 1 turn.

If we make national holidays, besides the extra happiness, we should make it so all production stops (as it does in anarchy). Cause I don't think many people work on National Holidays ;)

Interesting idea about holidays, that is a feature to consider for the future.

Although, I suspect arms production wouldn't stop during war time. We will have to develop this feature in detail once we have the time and resources to work on it.

I don't know if it's already been considered or added, but how about the fossil fuel and non-renewable resources gradually disappear after use? Since Oil is going to run out completely by about 2050, coal and natural gas some time after that, we do need to consider a world in which it simply isn't present.

Civilisations will have to advance sufficiently to exploit crops and land to make replacement resources (perhaps the resource becomes available after the technology is researched) before their economy and military simply die out..

Top Bottom